• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shepard Smith, the Fox News host who drives the faithful crazy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.d202f8b5d010

The Washington Post has mentioned Shepard Smith as one of a few people at Fox News that's trying to keep Fox News sane and credible. Also the article mentions the Megyn Kelly comparisons on him. But then again Shepard Smith is being overshadowed by the talk show hosts who generate ratings, attention and controversy at Fox News Channel. The Article also mentions other issues that Smith did that were against the talk show hosts on Fox News such as the Baltimore fallout of 2015 after Freddie Gray's death, the 2015 France attacks and Climate change.

Smith, for example, opened the same afternoon newscast Friday with a sly aside about Trump’s claims: “Of course, the president could learn firsthand whether the building in which he [lived] was wiretapped. All he’d have to do is ask the intelligence services. They work for him.”

Not blunt enough? In mid-February, following Trump’s freewheeling news conference, Smith labeled Trump’s responses “absolutely crazy.” He even — horror of horrors! — defended CNN, Fox’s mortal enemy, when Trump blasted it as “fake news” during another news conference. “CNN’s reporting was not fake news,” Smith said. “Its journalists follow the same standards to which other news organizations, including Fox News, adhere.”

Smith’s persistent fact-mongering has made him persona non grata among some parts of the Fox News faithful, in an echo of the hostile reaction to then-Fox anchor Megyn Kelly’s tough questioning of Trump during the campaign. For weeks, Fox fans have stormed social media with demands for Smith’s firing and boycott threats if the network doesn’t get rid of him.

“Shep Smith has gone full Rachel Maddow,” ranted Paul Joseph Watson, contributing editor of the conspiratorial Infowars, on Twitter after Friday’s dunking of Napolitano. “MSNBC irrelevance is his calling.”

Some have posted an unflattering photo of Smith, 53, above the caption, “If you’re sick of this guy spewing his liberal tripe and his constant criticism of President Trump on a supposed news show, let Fox News know!!” It includes a number for Fox’s viewer comment line.

They’ve memed him, too. One depicts Smith wearing one of the pink wool hats that became the symbol of the Women’s March in January.

The mini-hysteria grew so loud earlier this month that a hoax website reported that Rupert Murdoch, Fox News chairman, had fired Smith for being “too controversial.” It was fake news, of course, but so widely disseminated that Snopes.com stepped in to debunk it.

The hubbub around Smith, who also is Fox’s managing editor of breaking news, has drawn silence from Fox. After initially being open to Smith speaking for a Washington Post article, the network declined to offer him for comment. Smith himself did not reply to interview requests sent to his work and personal email accounts.

I don't remember Alan Colmes getting this kind of reaction.

True I Don't remember the late Alan Colmes being targeted for a rant that went against President Trump and Allies like you see with soon to be NBC Talent Megyn Kelly and current Fox News host Shepard Smith have been getting over the Trump Cabinet.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/...colleagues-echoing-press-attacks/format/print

Update now Chris Wallace has said some similar stuff to even what former presidents Bush and Obama have said though. Plus what everybody on Trump's feud target has said.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41689805

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41689272

NEW YORK (AP) — Sunday host Chris Wallace generally lives in peaceful co-existence with Fox News Channel’s opinion folks, except when he hears some of them echo President Donald Trump’s criticism of the news media.

Fake news? He’s fighting back.

“It bothers me,” Wallace said in an interview. “If they want to say they like Trump, or that they’re upset with the Democrats, that’s fine. That’s opinion. That’s what they do for a living.

“I don’t like them bashing the media, because oftentimes what they’re bashing is stuff that we on the news side are doing. I don’t think they recognize that they have a role at Fox News and we have a role at Fox News. I don’t know what’s in their head. I just think it’s bad form.”
Wallace, who turned 70 last week, speaks from a position of strength. He just signed a contract extension that commits him to keep questioning politicians for Fox until well past the 2020 election. Now the dean of Sunday morning political talk hosts, he moderated his first presidential debate last year and drew generally high marks.

He doesn’t call out press-bashing colleagues by name. It’s no secret that prime-time star Sean Hannity is the president’s fiercest defender on Fox, with frequent references to the “destroy Trump media.” Hannity criticized the press in 90 percent of his monologues from May 15 to Sept. 1, according to the liberal media watchdogs Media Matters for America, and used the term “fake news” 67 times.

Wallace generally steers clear of Fox News Channel’s opinionated shows when he makes appearances outside of “Fox News Sunday,” which is on the Fox broadcast network and is repeated on cable. He doesn’t go on the “Fox & Friends” weekday morning show, for instance, after he scolded that show’s hosts on the air in March 2008 for distorting remarks made by Barack Obama and giving excessive attention to them.

As president, Trump has given interviews to Fox News more than any other outlet, but he has favored Hannity and other supportive hosts like Jeanine Pirro and Jesse Watters. News anchors Wallace, Bret Baier and Shepard Smith and chief White House correspondent John Roberts have been shut out. Wallace spoke to Trump when he was president-elect.

“Ultimately, any White House decides who they want to go out and talk to,” Wallace said. “Would I rather they talk to me? Well, if that’s what they’re going to do, that’s what they’re going to do.”
But he said the White House has been fair in delivering other administration officials and, despite their boss’ attacks on the press, “the guests that are there are very professional and answer questions.”

Wallace said there were periods when the Obama administration did not keep “Fox News Sunday” on the same rotation with ABC, CBS and NBC shows in terms of offering interview subjects. President Obama went two years without giving Fox an interview before appearing with Wallace in April 2016.

Wallace refers to “Trump Sundays” for the days he’s hurriedly had to revamp his show in the hours before going on the air to respond to something the president has done or said. Such changes on the fly were rare before this year.

“When you’ve been covering the White House since 1980, you get a little bit jaded,” said Wallace, who followed the Reagan administration for NBC before moving on to ABC and, in 2003, to Fox. “I’ve seen it all. Now I feel like a cub reporter, because I’ve never seen anything like this.”

With Fox News the preferred network for conservatives, journalists there will often hear it from viewers about stories that don’t toe a party line. Wallace said he does, too, like when he hears grumbling about someone on his show who does battle with Trump, like Sen. John McCain.

Not surprising though.

i think Shepard should just leave Fox News all together and go elsewhere, CNN or MSNBC would love to have them on their lineup.

Its True Shepard Smith is not fired from Fox News. Its a bunch of Pro-Trump people spreading false allegations that Fox News management is firing Smith. I say its a pr move by other right wing competitors to scare some of the pro-Trump audience away from Fox News.

Fox News Channel anchor Shepard Smith still has a job with the network, despite claims on social media that he’s been fired.

Network spokeswoman Irena Briganti says in an email to The Associated Press that the story that Smith has been let go for his “obvious disrespect for President Trump” is “completely false.” Smith was on the air Monday afternoon in his regular time slot.

Websites including adjourna and conservativesay reported that media mogul Rupert Murdoch gave Smith “his walking papers” after the anchor spoke out against President Donald Trump “on multiple occasions.” Similar stories circulated online about a year ago.

i think Shepard should just leave Fox News all together and go elsewhere, CNN or MSNBC would love to have them on their lineup.

http://www.businessinsider.com/neil-cavuto-fox-news-trump-michael-cohen-giuliani-2018-5

Now Neil Cavuto of Fox News has done a segment that's not exactly Trump friendly though if you seen the rants. The rants follow what Shepard Smith have said though. I think the current Fox News management realized that they have to attract other people to their venue though and this stuff where the pundits are allowed to say things that are not exactly Trump friendly. I say its Fox News way of saying that they can adapt to the current media landscape where persistent rumors of Republicans leaving their historical venue of Fox News for Sinclair are at play here.

Now Neil Cavuto of Fox News has done a segment that's not exactly Trump friendly though if you seen the rants.

The other news nets used that quote by Cavoto as a sign that Trump is starting to lose Fox News. Certainly Trump's interview with Fox & Friends wasn't all positive either. They brought up subjects that obviously caught him by surprise, and as a result he said things he probably shouldn't or wouldn't under normal circumstances. The Hannity interview with Rudy on Wednesday is what set off the firestorm. Along the way, it's not hurting their ratings.

The Trump fans demand complete unquestioning loyalty to Trump; dissent is not allowed.

The other news nets used that quote by Cavoto as a sign that Trump is starting to lose Fox News. Certainly Trump's interview with Fox & Friends wasn't all positive either. They brought up subjects that obviously caught him by surprise, and as a result he said things he probably shouldn't or wouldn't under normal circumstances. The Hannity interview with Rudy on Wednesday is what set off the firestorm. Along the way, it's not hurting their ratings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...heories/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.50284fe58f92

Wow the Washington Post has included another Fox news Segment where Fox has discredited Spygate conspiracy.

President Trump has made it clear that he likes what he hears on Fox News. The network often covers the president favorably, bringing on conservative commentators who push the president’s agenda and, at times, explore far-right conspiracy theories.

But in an unusual shift Tuesday, three voices on Fox News pushed back against the president’s most recent conspiracy theory. A Fox News guest, commentator and anchor all rebuked claims from the president and his allies that the FBI planted a “spy” in his campaign in an effort to undercut his candidacy.

Outgoing Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), the House Oversight Committee chairman and a Trump supporter, said in an interview on Fox that the FBI was justified in using a secret informant to assist in the Russia investigation. Gowdy, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, attended a classified Justice Department briefing last week on the FBI’s use of the confidential source, identified as Stefan A. Halper.

“President Trump himself in the Comey memos said if anyone connected with my campaign was working with Russia, I want you to investigate it, and it sounds to me like that is exactly what the FBI did,” Gowdy told host Martha MacCallum. “I think when the president finds out what happened, he is going to be not just fine, he is going to be glad that we have an FBI that took seriously what they heard.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump,” Gowdy said. Asked about the president’s tweets on the subject, Gowdy added that such statements could be subject to questioning by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

“If I were his lawyer, and I never will be, I would tell him to rely on his lawyers and his [communications] folks,” he said.

Asked to respond to Gowdy’s remarks, a Fox News commentator known for defending the president also cast doubt on Trump’s claims. Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano (better known and often quoted by Trump as Judge Napolitano) said claims that the FBI placed an undercover spy on Trump’s campaign “seem to be baseless.”

“There is no evidence for that whatsoever,” Napolitano said. The fact that the FBI source spoke with “people on the periphery of the campaign,” he said, “is standard operating procedure in intelligence gathering and in criminal investigations.”

Wow the Washington Post has included another Fox news Segment where Fox has discredited Spygate conspiracy.

I saw both interviews, and in both cases, the host challenged the guests on their answers. This isn't Fox discrediting Spygate, but Fox guests, one of which is a Congressman. So far, no one in Congress has supported the President on this one, and most (like Nunes) have been dodging interviews.

Today Eric Shawn had a former federal prosecutor on who basically blew holes in the letter to Mueller, He said the president's lawyers view presidential powers as Nixon did, that the president can't break the law because he IS the law. The guest said there's nothing in Article II of the Constitution that supports that view, and it's why Nixon ultimately lost.

Won't it be something if President Nixon is vindicated when all is said and done.

Today Eric Shawn had a former federal prosecutor on who basically blew holes in the letter to Mueller, He said the president's lawyers view presidential powers as Nixon did, that the president can't break the law because he IS the law. The guest said there's nothing in Article II of the Constitution that supports that view, and it's why Nixon ultimately lost.

Wow but not shocking. It's amazing to think that Fox News is now being viewed as the sane person in the room in an era when Fox News itself has to deal with the "Rumored competition" like Sinclair, and NewsmaxTV all fighting for audiences that Fox News was good at holding on to in the past.

Also this is one of a few segments where Fox News has called out Trump and that's Fox News Channels target audience.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom