• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFLI-1070 Chattanooga to sign off March 31

Here is the bill of sale from the FCC website:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101757152&qnum=5040&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

If I am reading this correctly parts of the station are to be preserved as a “museum”. I Could not find any mention of the land in the bill of sale. The buyer gets the Grounding system and 6 towers* and access to the building. I am assuming the Benns family will be the landlord. Because of the COL and 1070 in Birmingham there most likely will never be another site for 1070 that will allow WFLI stay a class B AM. The 1370 site might work if the COL was not Lookout Mountain. Even with the crappy soil conductivity the two 50 KW Omni direction daytime signals within 170 miles of WFLI: Birmingham Ala. And Sans Souci (Greenville) SC, would make it a real engineering challenge to keep 50 KW daytime. The nighttime signal would really be hard to save. If I won the one of the big lottery jackpots this weekend I could make it happen for a tax write-off.

$100,000 to max out a translator in Chattanooga is not that bad of a deal. Someday maybe the FCC will allow the translators to drop their AM and the new owner of 1070 can save a few dollars on the electric bill, and have Chattanooga class A coverage sort of.

It’s kind of sad. I remember back in the mid 1970’s driving out there to pick up tapes. They had a “water chiller” running right by where you parked. The folks there were always nice to me even if I worked for another station.

*IIRC two towers were “grounded or passive blockers”.

Also, not only is WFLI back, the music format is as good as ever, the audio sounds very nice, and the daytime signal does very well. Receivable OK even in Oak Ridge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom