• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-Slacks Legal ID Finally Legal!

This (Wed 03/22) afternoon, as well as yesterday afternoon, I heard the legal ID for K-Slacks 100.7 given corrrectly:

"K-S-L-X F-M, Scottsdale (...Phoenix)"

Mother Hubbard--what took you so long to finally fix this? Did you finally look at your license one day and see that it had an "FM" after the call letters?

After this momentous occasion, I suppose we can overlook the fact that the ID was done at about :50. "Well, other stations do it then, so why can't we?" ;) Sure, fine, whatever...

Playing Devil's Advocate here, in order to be fully "legal," wouldn't they still need to identify the "HD-1" signal they are transmitting? A fully legal ID would be "KSLX FM and HD-1 Scottsdale, Phoenix."

There is one station that has the toughest task of doing a fully legal ID in town and I think they do a great job at it and it's another fellow Mother Hubbard station: Oldies 92.7. Their legal ID is "1440 KAZG Scottsdale, Phoenix; KDKB HD-2 Mesa, Phoenix; 92.7 FM K224CJ Phoenix." Now that's a mouthful! And even though the translator does not technically need to be ID'ed at the top of every hour, Oldies 92.7 does ID it every hour.

Maybe the folks at Arizona Sports 98.7 / 860 AM can learn a thing or two from Sandusky, err I mean Mother Hubbard. "KMVP AM and FM Phoenix" does not seem like a legal ID to me, especially considering both AM and FM are broadcasting in HD!

Playing Devil's Advocate here, in order to be fully "legal," wouldn't they still need to identify the "HD-1" signal they are transmitting? A fully legal ID would be "KSLX FM and HD-1 Scottsdale, Phoenix."

There is one station that has the toughest task of doing a fully legal ID in town and I think they do a great job at it and it's another fellow Mother Hubbard station: Oldies 92.7. Their legal ID is "1440 KAZG Scottsdale, Phoenix; KDKB HD-2 Mesa, Phoenix; 92.7 FM K224CJ Phoenix." Now that's a mouthful! And even though the translator does not technically need to be ID'ed at the top of every hour, Oldies 92.7 does ID it every hour.

Maybe the folks at Arizona Sports 98.7 / 860 AM can learn a thing or two from Sandusky, err I mean Mother Hubbard. "KMVP AM and FM Phoenix" does not seem like a legal ID to me, especially considering both AM and FM are broadcasting in HD!

Try KOAI and its translator —*though they do not ID the translator every hour.

It's one of the biggest wastes of a translator ever in my opinion.

The Commish is pretty vague when it comes to "identifying that the station is digital."

I hear all kinds of IDs across the country. Some stations recite alphabet soup. And I hear some stations say nothing at all about being HD, but they scroll text on the HD receiver's screen (KXXX-HD1 Bugtussle) for a minute or two at the top of the hour and it seems to work for them. Whether or not that's legal or not is a question for the DC attorney and well beyond my pay grade.

Always thought the ID for KPNX (ch 12) was bizarre. But it is licensed to Mesa, so bizarre is to be expected.

Now, what the hell is a TEGNA? Sounds like some kind of vehicle you plug into an outlet, or an e-cigarette. YIKES!

Now, what the hell is a TEGNA? Sounds like some kind of vehicle you plug into an outlet, or an e-cigarette. YIKES!

A TEGNA is term used for the offspring of a Gannett.

Always thought the ID for KPNX (ch 12) was bizarre. But it is licensed to Mesa, so bizarre is to be expected.

And even more bizarre (bizarrer?) were the years that Mc12 IDed itself (COL) as "Phoenix-Mesa." Guess they never got dinged for it by the Friendly Candy Company. Or maybe they did get dinged just before they started IDing correctly.

And from the odd-but-true department: I saw a legal ID on one of the 12.x subchannels recently as "KPNX Mesa"--without the "-Phoenix" appendage.

And even more bizarre (bizarrer?) were the years that Mc12 IDed itself (COL) as "Phoenix-Mesa." Guess they never got dinged for it by the Friendly Candy Company. Or maybe they did get dinged just before they started IDing correctly.

And from the odd-but-true department: I saw a legal ID on one of the 12.x subchannels recently as "KPNX Mesa"--without the "-Phoenix" appendage.

I remember watching some station anniversary special where 12 claimed to have gotten special permission to ID as Phoenix/Mesa back in the 50's when they moved the studios from Mesa... I always remembered the KTAR-TV ID as Phoenix-Mesa, too.

I'm told that when one of the engineering suits came out for the move into the Republic building he saw one of the IDs on air and had it changed to Mesa/Phoenix.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom