TOH Legal ID
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TOH Legal ID

TOH Legal ID

Anyone Know If WRCN 103.9 Riverhead . is it Currently owned or used to be owned BY JVC know if they have some sort Of STA( just kidding about STA) that allows them to Get away with ZERO
    I mean No TOH ID of any sort.
    I was out on the east End over the weekend. interesting Automated Format.. shows ran a few mins past the TOH then traffic/ Weather or Music back to another show. Not Once in 2 days
    did I hear a TOH ID except LINews..???
    dfid the FCC change the Rules For this station?
    Neal.
    Just Call Me Ralph.

Same issue out here in ABQ. 102.1 which is an LPFM, and live, mentioned the frequency and call sign several times in the half hour I listened (before and after the TOH) but never mentioned the COL.

Why not mention it to the FCC? I bet they'd love to hear about it.

I agree, tell the FCC.

Legal IDs are to be at a natural break in programming as close to the top of the hour as you can get. The call letters and city of license (with few exceptions) in that order without anything inbetween. For LPFMs that would be KXXX-LP, City of License.

The question up for debate is what constitutes a natural break in programming? Many larger market station hide the ID inside the final commercial break of the hour, around :45 past the hour although the DJ might speak at or near the top of the hour. So, the ID is intentionally 'hidden'.

Interestingly one FM in Texas was licensed to a tiny town but studios and everything they did was geared to a large nearby town. They edited the space between the call letters and city of license so it went by so fast even if you tried, you would be hard pressed to catch the call letters and city of license. I call it a loophole. The FCC does not say you can't do it fast (like the disclaimer on a car commercial).

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal Newman View Post
    Anyone Know If WRCN 103.9 Riverhead . is it Currently owned or used to be owned BY JVC know if they have some sort Of STA( just kidding about STA) that allows them to Get away with ZERO
    I mean No TOH ID of any sort.
    I was out on the east End over the weekend. interesting Automated Format.. shows ran a few mins past the TOH then traffic/ Weather or Music back to another show. Not Once in 2 days
    did I hear a TOH ID except LINews..???
    dfid the FCC change the Rules For this station?
    Neal.
    There is no FCC term "top of the hour ID". There is a requirement to give an ID as close to :00 each hour in a natural break in programming, as already mentioned. Some believe... and more important, the FCC has never stopped such a belief... that a natural break is NOT in between songs in a music sweep. So the ID can go at the end of the last stopset of the hour, often around :50, not at the real "top of the hour".
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

There is no FCC term "top of the hour ID". There is a requirement to give an ID as close to :00 each hour in a natural break in programming, as already mentioned. Some believe... and more important, the FCC has never stopped such a belief... that a natural break is NOT in between songs in a music sweep. So the ID can go at the end of the last stopset of the hour, often around :50, not at the real "top of the hour".
    I listened for 2 days. Finally I had to go to the FCC site and Do a Search for Riverhead,NY and Found the Calls for 103.9... Not even hidden in a Natural break . Nothing within the window of 10 before through 10 after the TOH is Considered Normal.. I even thought maybe the Clocks were way off on the automation... But commercial breaks were exactly at the TOH..
    Just Call Me Ralph.

If you really want to hide the TOH ID, I believe it may still be in the FCC regulations that you can do the ID in morse :-)

When you file your complain, include tapes from off the air. Give them what you heard. Leave it up to them. That's their job.

WXXL-FM in Orlando also does this too (I know they are not in NYC, but it's also happening in Orlando). They hide their TOH ID at :45-50 every hour and at the top of the hour, they air a jingle of XL 106.7, instead of the legal ID. The thing is, they are owned by iHeart.

What you describe with WXXL is commonplace among major market stations. They've been doing it for years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast