• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Report: Fox's hannity pulled gun on guest

Someone in management has to take editorial control for the channel to have any credibility. Otherwise, it just becomes the mouthpiece for the government.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/k3etya/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-is-fox-news-the-real-president-

Apparently in Trevor Noah's Segment on the Daily Show he suggested that Fox News is controlling the Trump Cabinet. If that's so how can Trump Administration control Fox News or Fox News Control Trump Cabinet if both sides have dysfunction for now as shown here.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/21/there-goes-the-judge

Apparently in Trevor Noah's Segment on the Daily Show he suggested that Fox News is controlling the Trump Cabinet.

The Daily Show is not a news show. It's a comedy show. But we're at a strange point if we need to point that out to people.

This is getting to the point where there could be a regulation where non-news programming on a news station must be clearly identified as such. Because it seems like people, including POTUS, are having trouble making the distinction.

The Daily Show is not a news show. It's a comedy show. But we're at a strange point if we need to point that out to people.

This is getting to the point where there could be a regulation where non-news programming on a news station must be clearly identified as such. Because it seems like people, including POTUS, are having trouble making the distinction.

I agree that the Daily Show is a Comedy/Talk Show but the joke on Trump is crazy though. However, Shepard Smith seems to be one of a few sane people on Fox News in these clips who has been critical of the Trump Cabinet. Except Shepard Smith is being overshadowed by other dysfunction at Fox News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV0LujHpfJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xx9I4TfSM

Except Shepard Smith is being overshadowed by other dysfunction at Fox News.

There are two groups of people at Fox News: Shepard Smith, Britt Hume, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier and a few other serious news reporters. Then you have a group of entertainers: Hannity, O'Reilly, Carlson, and a few others. I'm sure it makes for an interesting place to work.

Truthfully, all the news channels have that dichotomy. Rachel Maddow is not a strict serious journalist in the conventional sense. She is the Hannity of MSNBC. That leads to a lot of confusion in the public over what's news and what isn't.

Last edited:
There are two groups of people at Fox News: Shepard Smith, Britt Hume, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier and a few other serious news reporters. Then you have a group of entertainers: Hannity, O'Reilly, Carlson, and a few others. I'm sure it makes for an interesting place to work.

Truthfully, all the news channels have that dichotomy. Rachel Maddow is not a strict serious journalist in the conventional sense. She is the Hannity of MSNBC. That leads to a lot of confusion in the public over what's news and what isn't.

Fox News Channel and Cable News Network have "News" right there in the middle of their names. Viewers to either can be excused for assuming that they are watching news when they tune in. The N in MSNBC never stood for "News" -- in theory it stands for "National," but actually it is part of a stand-alone acronym -- so there is no expectation of any kind of programming associated with MSNBC. It could carry news, commentary, satire, sports, movies, sitcoms or music videos and still be MSNBC.

It could carry news, commentary, satire, sports, movies, sitcoms or music videos and still be MSNBC.

Right but it's not about the name but the presentation. If people are confusing the Daily Show or even Weekend Update with news, we have a problem.

Right but it's not about the name but the presentation. If people are confusing the Daily Show or even Weekend Update with news, we have a problem.

True I understand that. But I'm surprised that the general public or Nielsen calls CNN, Fox News and MSNBC Cable News/Talk officially though.

I know radio stations that call themselves Newsradio but they are really News/talk stations and nielsen records it at such.

True I understand that. But I'm surprised that the general public or Nielsen calls CNN, Fox News and MSNBC Cable News/Talk officially though.

I know radio stations that call themselves Newsradio but they are really News/talk stations and nielsen records it at such.

Nielsen does not "record" format or show descriptions as part of the survey process in the electronically measured markets. The ratings data released to subscribers does not list formats. When we see public ratings summaries, it is the publication where the data appears that labels channels and stations as being of one type or another.

In the TV and radio diary markets, stations do notify Nielsen of limited programming details such as slogans, positioning statements and such but that is only used by Nielsen in the process of already filled in and returned diaries where it is otherwise not clear which channel or station a diary keeper intended to list.

Stations in the electronic markets do file station slogan as well as a format selected from a list of acceptable format names; "newsradio" is not one of them. This is listed in the market summary section of Nielsen eBook releases, but has not part in the data processing or the actual tables of data (although we can see it in the Nielsen software if we specifically ask for it).

So Nielsen does not "call" stations anything "officially". And listeners and viewers can call stations and channels anything they want, based on their perceptions.

In an era where a near majority of the population gets their news first from Facebook, the application of labels seems almost arcane!

Is it not interesting that you have dozens of 24/7 "news stations" and online news everywhere (yep, including Falsebook) and we Americans actually get less factual, unbiased news than we used to get on three major networks and PBS? It's now just a money grab and old "insane" Enquirer-style news has come to TV. Do we really have a clue what the hell is happening in our world?

and with the 24/7 news networks being more opinions then news these days, i think there's needs to a new phrase to be used to describe the 24/7 news networks and that is
"Newstainment", which is Newsish Entertainment, where it's more entertainment then actual news as bickering and debating like children is more entertaining then to just tell a news story, then move on to the next story and so on and so on.

truth is, Bill O'Riley, Sean Hannity, Rachael Maddow and the rest of the opinion news talk shows are newstainment and not actual news show.

and newstainment abuses the term breaking news like it just breaking now when it actually broke several hours ago and has past the point of it being a breaking news story as the actual event that spawn the breaking news banter of coverage is over and it's now at the breaking new developments and aftermath phase of the story.

truth is, Bill O'Riley, Sean Hannity, Rachael Maddow and the rest of the opinion news talk shows are newstainment and not actual news show.

Those at least two of those commentators frequently mention that they conduct opinion shows, which are different from the morning shows that are based mostly on news. If viewers don't make the distinction, no number of descriptors or positioning statements will change that perception.

Well at some point the media and police will all look for Sean Hannity's family and friends and start asking questions like "How long did you know that Hannity was mentally insane?", "What was his mental state like when he had a gun?"

The overwhelming majority of those who carry firearms legally are completely sane.
Carrying a gun does not make you insane (though I agree we need to keep the
insane from carrying guns).

and with the 24/7 news networks being more opinions then news these days, i think there's needs to a new phrase to be used to describe the 24/7 news networks and that is
"Newstainment", which is Newsish Entertainment, where it's more entertainment then actual news as bickering and debating like children is more entertaining then to just tell a news story, then move on to the next story and so on and so on.

and newstainment abuses the term breaking news like it just breaking now when it actually broke several hours ago and has past the point of it being a breaking news story as the actual event that spawn the breaking news banter of coverage is over and it's now at the breaking new developments and aftermath phase of the story.

Well it means nothing at this point even if Hannity was fired the next day he will simply be replaced by an ally of Trump a Wally George type person and or a Morton Downey Jr, or an Alex Jones type person though.. I heard of this argument before "If we bring Fairness Doctrine back then TV, Radio, Newspapers and internet (Both Website and apps) would have better quality of arguments. Not Sure if that's true or not but thats an argument I heard a few years ago.

Having read the report, it has been strongly refuted by Juan Williams, who lambasted the CNN report as fake news and said that he was never in any danger, and moreover that Hannity ensured that all safety precautions were taken when showing him the firearm.

The fact that Mr. Williams bothered to refute the CNN story, seems to point (pardon the pun) toward sensationalism on the part of CNN. I'm sure that if Hannity had actually pulled a gun on him, he'd be the last person to refute the story.

People with concealed carry permits in five states do not behave recklessly or carelessly with firearms.
Now that statement is a reach. I know several people who have concealed carry permits, who probably shouldn't. The fact there are zero requirements for proper training or reevaluation of skills in owning or carrying a deadly weapon alone, wouldn't jibe with that statement. Don't have a criminal record? You can apply-for and be granted a concealed carry permit in most states.

So the reality is that Sean Hannity simply showed his unloaded firearm to Juan Williams and CNN made up the fake news that Hannity "pulled a gun on Juan Williams". It is amazing how bad our media has gotten recently with their extreme partisan biases that now have them lying and doing selective reporting of the stories and facts that fit their ideological narrative. Last night Seth Myers, who like the blackface minstrel shows excuses his hate show as being comedy, didn't make one mention of the fact that Garland didn't get a hearing because our former vice president Joe Biden set the rule in 1992 by stating that then George Bush cannot choose a Supreme Court judge and that the newly elected president should be the one who chooses to fill a seat in an election year.
As for the gun, well I live right outside NYC and I can tell you that without a doubt I will stand in front of a Conservative with a firearm before I stand in front of a Democrat behind the wheel of a car. A weapon is a weapon, they all can kill you, we just seen a guy in the U.K liberalize with a knife a few days ago.

So the reality is that Sean Hannity simply showed his unloaded firearm to Juan Williams and CNN made up the fake news that Hannity "pulled a gun on Juan Williams".

Not exactly. CNN quoted 3 Fox News sources who described the situation as they saw it. CNN simply reported what it was told, and also got reaction from an authorized Fox News rep. When a reporter reports what he is told, it's not making it up. That's how journalism works.

Juan Williams is a Fox News employee. It's difficult as an employee to rat on another employee, especially if you have to face that person regularly. Much easier than handle it privately and move on. That's what Juan has chosen to do, and that's his choice.

BTW your information is wrong. Joe Biden didn't "set the rule." He was speaking hypothetically. All of Bush's nominees received proper treatment.

My state requires a gun safety course taught by a state certified instructor. You can buy the gun anytime but it can't get in to your hands unless you pass the safety course.

So the reality is that Sean Hannity simply showed his unloaded firearm to Juan Williams and CNN made up the fake news that Hannity "pulled a gun on Juan Williams". It is amazing how bad our media has gotten recently with their extreme partisan biases that now have them lying and doing selective reporting of the stories and facts that fit their ideological narrative. Last night Seth Myers, who like the blackface minstrel shows excuses his hate show as being comedy, didn't make one mention of the fact that Garland didn't get a hearing because our former vice president Joe Biden set the rule in 1992 by stating that then George Bush cannot choose a Supreme Court judge and that the newly elected president should be the one who chooses to fill a seat in an election year.
As for the gun, well I live right outside NYC and I can tell you that without a doubt I will stand in front of a Conservative with a firearm before I stand in front of a Democrat behind the wheel of a car. A weapon is a weapon, they all can kill you, we just seen a guy in the U.K liberalize with a knife a few days ago.

You nailed it. CNN thought it could stick it to a competitor, and ended up with egg on its face.

You nailed it. CNN thought it could stick it to a competitor, and ended up with egg on its face.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom