• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Report: Fox's hannity pulled gun on guest

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
If this is really true then lets hope we don't have a repeat of the Vester Flanagan incident from 2015. Damn this is on top of other scandals going on at Fox News.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/17/report-foxs-hannity-pulled-gun-on-guest

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/article/NH/20150826/NEWS/150829881

http://abc7news.com/news/vallejo-residents-say-virginia-shooting-suspect-was-polite-educated/958422/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Alison_Parker_and_Adam_Ward

Last year, Fox News host Sean Hannity pulled a gun on one of his guests off camera.

That's the report according to CNN, who says that after ending one of his many spirited on-air arguments with liberal contributor Juan Williams, Hannity pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at Williams, according to three sources with knowledge of the incident.

He even turned on the laser sight, causing a red dot to bob around on Williams' body. (Hannity was just showing off, the sources said, but the unforeseen off-camera antic clearly disturbed Williams and others on set.)

CNN says that Hannity's colleagues brought the Williams incident to the attention of Fox News executives, though it's not clear whether anything came of it. The sources said it went to Bill Shine, the network's co-president and longtime Fox News executive, who is Hannity's longtime friend and a former producer.

A Fox News spokesperson said the incident was referred to the legal and human resources departments.

"Sean Hannity has been trained in firearm safety since he was 11 years old and has a license to carry a gun in five states, including New York," Fox News said in a statement to CNNMoney. "The situation was thoroughly investigated and it was found that no one was put in any danger." (The spokesperson said the incident took place in October 2016.)

The Fox News spokesperson also provided the following statements from Hannity and Williams.
"While discussing the issue of firearms, I showed my good friend Juan Williams my unloaded firearm in a professional and safe manner for educational purposes only," Hannity's statement read. "Every precautionary procedure that I have been trained in since the age of 11 was followed. I've had a conceal carry permit in five states for all of my adult life. Any other interpretation of this is outright false reporting."

"This incident is being sensationalized -- everything was under total control throughout and I never felt like I was put in harm's way," Williams' statement read. "It was clear that Sean put my safety and security above all else and we continue to be great friends."

I'm sorry, there's nothing "professional" about pointing a gun at someone. Most companies have employee manuals that go into specifics about proper behavior, and I'm pretty sure most professional organizations frown on having their employees carry weapons into the workplace, regardless of whether that employee has a permit to carry or if the safety is on.

It is very easy to misread a situation like this. An armed well-meaning bystander could have easily put a round into Hannity thinking Williams was about to be shot. One excellent reason most police don't want armed civilians entering a like confrontation. They don't know who the bad guys are.

In any event this was a totally unprofessional action by one of Fox News resident nitwits.

Having read the report, it has been strongly refuted by Juan Williams, who lambasted the CNN report as fake news and said that he was never in any danger, and moreover that Hannity ensured that all safety precautions were taken when showing him the firearm. People with concealed carry permits in five states do not behave recklessly or carelessly with firearms. How unfortunate that the press are as reckless, careless and cavalier as they are.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/16/media/sean-hannity-juan-williams-gun/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...uan-williams-reject-1489763895-htmlstory.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/17/did-sean-hannity-point-a-gun-at-juan-williams/

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/fox-news-responds-to-sean-hannity-juan-williams-gun-incident/324039

A fierce defender of the Second Amendment, Sean Hannity reportedly gave his Fox News colleague Juan Williams a live demonstration on how to properly use a firearm after a televised segment in October 2016.

CNN reports Hannity pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at Williams after a “spirited” segment with his progressive counterpart. He apparently even turned on the laser sight, causing a red dot to bob around on Williams’ body. CNN’s Dylan Byers writes:

Hannity’s colleagues brought the Williams incident to the attention of Fox News executives, though it’s not clear whether anything came of it. The sources said it went to Bill Shine, the network’s co-president and longtime Fox News executive, who is Hannity’s longtime friend and a former producer. A Fox News spokesperson said the incident was referred to the legal and human resources departments.
“While discussing the issue of firearms, I showed my good friend Juan Williams my unloaded firearm in a professional and safe manner for educational purposes only,” Hannity said in a statement. “Every precautionary procedure that I have been trained in since the age of 11 was followed. I’ve had a conceal carry permit in five states for all of my adult life. Any other interpretation of this is outright false reporting.”

“This incident is being sensationalized — everything was under total control throughout and I never felt like I was put in harm’s way,” Williams added. “It was clear that Sean put my safety and security above all else and we continue to be great friends.”

More outlets are allegedly talking about this incident. Hannity claims "Educational Purposes only for a gun demo on Juan Williams." At this point who knows if this scandal is even real or a head fake for something else.

Having read the report, it has been strongly refuted by Juan Williams, who lambasted the CNN report as fake news

It's not "fake news" if Juan admits it happened. Just saying he wasn't in any danger doesn't absolve Hannity from acting in a threatening way. If Juan had pulled the gun on Hannity or anyone else, things would have been very different.

Most employers don't allow firearms in the workplace. Especially in New York City. They have stricter laws there than out in the boonies.

Williams did not in any wise admit that a gun was pulled on him. What most employers allow or disallow is not the issue, but a red herring is the real issue. If you prefer not to call it fake news, we can call it yellow journalism. Mr. Williams is not buying CNN holding him out there as a victim to be rescued by them when he is nothing to them, and he is not a victim at all. And you have pointed that out in your own post.

Williams did not in any wise admit that a gun was pulled on him. What most employers allow or disallow is not the issue,

That's not true. Guns in the workplace is an issue that goes beyond what employers allow. And it's not about being a victim. It's about proper behavior in the workplace.

It's also not yellow journalism. This is a story that originally came from three people at Fox News. It's a true story. How you interpret it is up to you, but the story happened.

Having read the report, it has been strongly refuted by Juan Williams, who lambasted the CNN report as fake news and said that he was never in any danger, and moreover that Hannity ensured that all safety precautions were taken when showing him the firearm. People with concealed carry permits in five states do not behave recklessly or carelessly with firearms. How unfortunate that the press are as reckless, careless and cavalier as they are.

A couple questions here:

Q - What is the difference between "showing" someone a gun and "pointing" a gun?
A - You NEVER point a gun at a living thing unless you intend to shoot. Especially not to "show" a gun.

Q - I am assuming Hannity's gun was loaded otherwise why was he carrying?
A - There was nothing in what I read stating he unloaded the weapon before pointing it. I suspect Williams wanted to take Hannity off the hook for whatever reason (I don't follow these pundits so don't know if they are true friends or business competitors).

I prefer to believe Mr. Williams. Beyond that it goes to agenda. A red herring is a very slippery fish.

Last edited:
I prefer to believe Mr. Williams. Beyond that it goes to agenda. A red herring is a very slippery fish.

You can believe whoever you want to believe. If someone at your job pointed their gun at you, I'd expect you'd be very angry.

I'm pretty sure most professional organizations frown on having their employees carry weapons into the workplace, regardless of whether that employee has a permit to carry or if the safety is on.

Employers may "frown", but 15 or so states require most employers allow their employees with carry permits (as Hannity has) to bring their firearms onto company property. Most of these laws stop at the front door, though, requiring employees to lock their firearms in their car.

Which tells us that Fox News doesn't frown on employees carrying their firearms on the premises.

Which tells us that Fox News doesn't frown on employees carrying their firearms on the premises.

No it doesn't, but that some employees feel they're not subject to company rules.

As we've seen several female employees have filed charges against some of those employees.

The story in the OP says this was directed to the company's legal and human resources department.

A gun was not pointed at anybody, as has been repeatedly acknowledged by the person certain media outlets alleged.

Last edited:
A gun was not pointed at anybody, as has been repeatedly acknowledged by the person certain media outlets alleged.

That's not what the witnesses say:

"Hannity pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at Williams, according to three sources with knowledge of the incident."

If Juan wants to be a nice guy and say something else, he can. But it's not what three other sources say.

Since it happened in a TV studio, there's probably video of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom