• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

‘Saturday Night Live’ to Air Live Across the Country

if you don't like late night TV now of days cause it "Leans left" then quit watching you Trumper (my nickname for Trump Supporters).

WRONG, I still Watch The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, His show is more Entertaining than the rest, he does games with his guest, like box of lies, charades, and the sports and music games, well you all know that, and his show is less dominated with politics than the ones I mentioned, and I probably will watch SNL when he host, and always was a fan of SNL for 40 years and understand political humor, I just felt it went to far this year, sorry for offending anyone.

Sort of belies the notion that Fox only hires conservatives. Juan Williams is liberal as well, as was the late Alan Colmes.

So as it turns out, the nights when SNL is set to air live coast to coast are also Nights with either NHL Playoff Games or Stanley Cup Final Games. Convenient, no?

Sort of belies the notion that Fox only hires conservatives. Juan Williams is liberal as well, as was the late Alan Colmes.

I don't think anybody has charged that Fox News "only" hires conservatives - there are a few liberals - Geraldo is another one.

The charge against Fox is that their news is slanted toward the conservative viewpoint, and is not even slightly "Fair and Balanced." That charge is hard to disprove.

So as it turns out, the nights when SNL is set to air live coast to coast are also Nights with either NHL Playoff Games or Stanley Cup Final Games. Convenient, no?
Yeah, I was going to mention that. Those games have to air live in the west or fans in the west won't be happy.

How about Mountain Time Zone, how does SNL work in MTZ Since their late local news is at 10PM MDT. SNL starts at 9:30PM (except for Arizona, since they don't observed DST). Do they pre-empt local news at 10PM? Do they move their local news to 9PM or 11PM?

edit: dammit had a nice reply typed out but when I hit submit it said the site crashed....so it will be abbreviated

Looking at most major markets in the MTZ they had news at 9. Some had news at 9 & 11:02 but most carried news at 9 as a "special edition" (as listed on zap2it). I checked affiliates in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming and SLC, Utah. There are some examples where there was only one edition of news and syndicated shows on the other timeslot.

What is even more shocking is Alaska also had it live at 7:29PM. They also had the replay but looking at schedules Anchorage "normally" shows it at 10:29 whereas Fairbanks is at 11:29.

Disagree if you choose. It is unfunny and has been for a very long time.

Outside of Alec Baldwin's Trump impersonation, SNL is just as awful as it was the last time I watched it, about 10 years ago. What did NBC gain from this, other than post-hockey filler for its west coast affiliates, and a chance for the few major markets in the Mountain and Pacific time zones (10 or so out of the Top 50) to see in prime time just how far this show has fallen? Roughly 2/3 of the country is in the Eastern and Central time zones, and gets the show live, anyway.

What did NBC gain from this, other than post-hockey filler for its west coast affiliates,

It's a promotable feature. Would you prefer another repeat of The Voice? They don't have a lot of successes at NBC. This is a show that gives them web content to merchandise, the Baldwin bits get picked up by the political talk shows, and they'll get a few prime time specials out of it as well. Smart marketing. And lots of people watch, because it's the ONLY live thing on TV on a Saturday night. Even the news & weather channels are pre-recorded.

It's a promotable feature. Would you prefer another repeat of The Voice? They don't have a lot of successes at NBC. This is a show that gives them web content to merchandise, the Baldwin bits get picked up by the political talk shows, and they'll get a few prime time specials out of it as well. Smart marketing. And lots of people watch, because it's the ONLY live thing on TV on a Saturday night. Even the news & weather channels are pre-recorded.

OK, I'll buy that. But I wonder what the affiliates thought about running SNL in late prime time vs additional local news programming.

Then again, I wonder how highly they thought about having to air a first-round NHL playoff game that was not only an awful game (unless you're a Predators fan, of course), but was irrelevant to those affiliates in cities that didn't have a large number of Midwestern transplants, such as Phoenix and Tucson.

Saturday night is the lowest night of the week for HUT. They don't care.

Thought yesterday's "live" show was just average. Was hoping for more crack-ups, which there were few. But I now realize this change is only for the mountain and pacific time zones. Because live in all time zones only effects mountain and pacific. Regular SNL start times: East Coast 11:30, Central 10:30, Mountain 10:30, and Pacific 11:30. So with this "all live approach", only Mountain (one hour earlier at 9:30),and Pacific (three hours earlier at 8:30) are the only changes. Except for perhaps the west coast, much ado about nothing!

Then again, I wonder how highly they thought about having to air a first-round NHL playoff game that was not only an awful game (unless you're a Predators fan, of course), but was irrelevant to those affiliates in cities that didn't have a large number of Midwestern transplants, such as Phoenix and Tucson.
Yeah, when channel 4 here in Nashville announced that they were running the Preds game, I just assumed that they were pre-empting Dateline and the usual 9:00 p.m. SNL reruns anyway, until I discovered that this was an NBC sports programming decision. That SNL was on "live" in the western half of the country was no big deal to me, since it wasn't on any earlier than I usually ever see it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom