Is A Change Coming To 94.1?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is A Change Coming To 94.1?

Is A Change Coming To 94.1?

Was riding around the metro area today and heard an interesting promo on Star 94-1! There running a radio spot saying "Something You've Never Heard Before Is Coming To 94-1 Thursday At 7:00am". I found it odd that they ended the promo by just saying "94-1" and not "Star 94-1". Is this a red flag that possibly a format change or name change is in the works? Anyone else heard this radio spot on Star 94-1?
    Last edited by radioman67; 03-14-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by radioman67 View Post
    Was riding around the metro area today and heard an interesting promo on Star 94-1! There running a radio spot saying "Something You've Never Heard Before Is Coming To 94-1 Thursday At 7:00am". I found it odd that they ended the promo by just saying "94-1" and not "Star 94-1". Is this a red flag that possibly a format change or name change is in the works? Anyone else heard this radio spot on Star 94-1?
    Maybe the HD2 format..................

I heard it, also. You're perceptive on the Star thing.

They've been doing well in their target female demos. It's difficult to get near the top of the ratings in this market because Urban is so big. But of course there is a lot of competition among Star, Q100, B98.5 and Power 96-1, and I'm sure Star would like to be beating Q and B. Star has a smart and talented PD, but whether Hot AC has the potential is a question.

We'll find out on Thursday morning. It could be something major, or it could be just a contest.

Maybe the research shows that too many people equate "Star 94" (or "Star 94-1") with their almost-Top 40 leanings...and I can only imagine that Steve and Vikki still come up a lot. Could it be that they might concede the Hot AC crown to B and Q and go into battle straight up against Power with a new name and approach?

Or it could be "Live In It And Win It" part umpteen...?

FWIW, Star 94 is the 4th oldest moniker on the commercial FM band in Atlanta, behind V-103 (1977), Kicks (1981), and B98.5 (1985). It's been around since 1989. It could be a refresh if they try to stay with CHR/Hot AC.

Star 94, and its predecessor 94Q, has always seemed to struggle to find its niche and identity since breaking away from Quixie, playing around with smooth jazz, AC, hot AC, and CHR/M (and a stint with a CHR/AOR "Rock 40" hybrid in the 1970s didn't help matters). When Power 99 flipped to 99X in 1992, Star 94 became the closest thing to a CHR in ATL strictly by default. B98.5, Q100, and Power 96 all have much clearer identities. B98.5 evolved from soft AC to mainstream/hot AC over the years, but that's about it.

Peach 94.9 was still saddled with its BM/EZ heritage long after they flipped to AC, which was one of the reasons CC changed it to "Lite".

Of course, you could also argue that 4 full-power stations chasing after the same bucket of listeners, with music mixes more alike than not, is too many. And The Fish also, ahem, fishes in that same pond.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

We'll, they're certainly not going to change formats to go directly against Power 96-1. That would be suicide with both Power and Q100 doing straight-ahead CHR.

A change from the Star moniker is a possibility.

Jabba, in the late 90's Star had huge ratings. And the playlist is the same as many other Hot AC's around the country. I highly doubt they'll stray from Hot AC.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post

When Power 99 flipped to 99X in 1992, Star 94 became the closest thing to a CHR in ATL strictly by default.
    And Star's ratings actually went down in the first couple of books after the 99.7 flip.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post

And The Fish also, ahem, fishes in that same pond.
    Ba-dum, KISSSSSHHH! Well played, sir.

I've also seen that Q100 is doing something big and better as well. Hmm, what could it be?!? Tune in Thursday morning to find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_0490 View Post
    I've also seen that Q100 is doing something big and better as well. Hmm, what could it be?!? Tune in Thursday morning to find out...
    I've been wondering how this would affect Q100.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

LAME....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast