Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels

No mention of Jaime Jarrín? I hate anything to do with Baseball yet with the Dodgers since 1959, that is impressive if this was a longevity thread.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MChase2017 View Post
    Lots of greats have called Los Angeles home over the years. Who would you consider the best of all time in The City Of Angels? Name/Call Letters/Years The only rule....no syndicated shows piped in from other places.
    Humberto Luna on KTNQ... late 70's to the late 90's.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    No mention of Jaime Jarrín? I hate anything to do with Baseball yet with the Dodgers since 1959, that is impressive if this was a longevity thread.
    Yes he is one of the greats too like the recently retired Vin Scully.

Shotgun Tom Kelly of KRTH 101. Well he recently left K-Earth 101 for the VO gig at Joey Reynolds show for 770 WABC and 790 KABC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozUFz3Kn8Nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTIMD8LQxo

Jim Healy. KMPC 1984-94.

(I'm sure he was just a great on his other stations before the 80s, but I never heard his stuff from that era.)

From someone who's never set foot in LA, and only heard LA radio via the miracle of the interwebs, you have had an embarrassment of riches over the years. The best I've gotten to hear from the past are Gary Owens, L&B, Morgan, Steele, Don Mackinnon, and Bob Crane's morning show on KNX. Rick Dees has been kind of an off-and-on punching bag, but you don't have that kind of career by accident. As far as current people, Tim Conway, Jr. has become my second-favorite talk host ever.

Billy Pearl, Andy Barber, T Michael Jordon bring back some great memories

Quote Originally Posted by badltnt View Post
    Jim Healy. KMPC 1984-94.

(I'm sure he was just a great on his other stations before the 80s, but I never heard his stuff from that era.)
    I remember Healy from the early 70s - on KLAC when it was a country station.

"Hoowwww do you do, I'm Jim Healy on KLAC, Los Angeles - brought to you by your Southern California Datsun dealer. NObody demands MORE from a Datsun than DATSUN! Dateline: Los Angeles..."

Michael Jackson's 30 years of talk dominance on KABC Talkradio 790 was exceptional. He exuded warmth, humor, comradery, education, and had a rolodex of EVERYONE in every industry from Hollywood to Washington to Moscow to Jerusalem to the nation's kitchens (Wolfgang Puck) and gyms (Richard Simmons), etc. His daily must-listen 9a to noon program was truly vibrant radio in a class above anything today's talkmeisters who mistakenly believe "the mic belongs solely to me".
    Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -- Ian Maclaren

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    I remember Healy from the early 70s - on KLAC when it was a country station.

"Hoowwww do you do, I'm Jim Healy on KLAC, Los Angeles - brought to you by your Southern California Datsun dealer. NObody demands MORE from a Datsun than DATSUN! Dateline: Los Angeles..."
    As I have mentioned before, Jim Healy was a radio genius and innovator. When he went to the taped bits to add color to his stories, it was a stroke of genius, and then through careful cultivation on Jim's part, the bits became stars in their own right and he would drop them in at just the right time to get maximum laugh value. But having the bits would be just another guy on the radio with a different shtick if it wasn't for one thing. He was the most plugged in sports reporter in town, including reporting on the sports media itself. He was the one guy who was not only willing to take you behind the ropes and curtains, but show you how idiotic the scene actually was when you got there and then name names as to who the chief idiots were.

For many, his show was must-hear appointment listening. That is the highest compliment a radio personality can get. He earned his.

Oh, one more thing - he did all of his own show prep, wrote all of his own reporting, and ran his own board. Considering how many clunky carts he must have had to get all those bits in at the right time, that is an amazing performance. Can you imagine anyone doing all that today?
    Last edited by ChannelFlipper; 03-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast