• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels

I concur with ChannelFlipper and his profile of Jim Healy's show, its content, and its dedicated audience. Jim Healy on KMPC absolutely was appointment listening on a daily basis - leading up to that dreaded 6 o'clock tone!

Commentary - The sad observation is that while creative talent exists today in the USA just as it did in prior decades, perhaps even more so, however, much of that creativity is being directed now elsewhere, and not to radio. YouTube is a chief beneficiary of many creative minds today that in a previous generation would have chosen radio as their outlet, as Jim Healy certainly did.

Up to 1965: Bob Crane on KNX. After that, The Real Don Steele on KHJ (1965-73), KIQQ (1973-74), KTNQ (1976-78) KRLA (1985-1989), KODJ/KCBS (1989-92) and KRTH (1992-97). During the years Steele wasn't on the air (1975-76 and 1978-85), I'd go with Lohman and Barkley on KFI.

Vin Scully certainly gets the longevity award and also is tops talent-wise in his field, sportscasting. But who today remembers Andy Mansfield, who with his wife Virginia used his encyclopedic music knowledge not only on KFI but the worldwide armed forces network? He was the Vin Scully of pre-rock and roll radio and his "Turn Back the Clock" program (utilizing his own music library augmented by that of KFI) featured music that stretched beck to the depression era. And then of course there was the comedy team of Lohman and Barkley before talk radio took over KFI. Not to mention the Ladies Day program hosted by a team headed by the venerable Dave Shaw (who later moved ion to KFAC after Cox bought KFI). All of these broadcasters were AM stalwarts fifty years ago, but their contributions deserve to be remembered..
When was Andy Mansfield on the air?

How about for longevity L.A.'s own Chuck Cecil and the Swingin' Years still running today in L.A. & Worldwide. That show has a magical way of transporting us into another time. This 92 year old guy is so frickin' hip that he once played the full punk version of 'English Civil War' by the Clash during a "Turning Time Around" segment in 1983. Nice guy too!

Worldwide Armed Forces special version of the Swingin' Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct7QEa8kyA

Art Laboe. 1949 at KRKD and KFVD (later KPOP)... at least 60 years on the air in LA and around the Southwest. He's still on over a dozen stations with his latest syndicated show at age 92!. And he's credited with creating the "oldies but goodies" term which was shortened by radio to "oldies" later on.

Sports: Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Dick Enberg (who later went national).
Personalities: Don Steele (KHJ), Robert W. Morgan, Shotgun Tom Kelly (KRTH), Michael Jackson, (KABC), Dick Whittington, and a bunch that went national: Dr. Laura, Phil Hendrie, Gary Owens, Bob Crane. The list is too long to include everyone.

When was Andy Mansfield on the air?

Started on WLW in Cincinnati as a couple, came to California in 1937 on the old Don Lee network, then moved to KFI in the forties and stayed there as the morning show sandwiched between the Farm Report and Ladies Day through the fifties. Andy continued on the Armed Forces Radio Network for many years after, being noted by Billboard as the European doughboy's favorite program in 1962. The AFTRA archives have a number of his programs from the sixties online. My own memories are from the early fifties on KFI.

https://www.otrcat.com/p/turn-back-the-clock

http://afrtsarchive.blogspot.ca/search/label/Andy Mansfield

Funny that after 3 pages, no one mentioned the guy who was #1 for most of his 23 years doing mornings at KIIS.

Funny that after 3 pages, no one mentioned the guy who was #1 for most of his 23 years doing mornings at KIIS.

Rick Dees was good, and you are correct he had a long run. Why he is not mentioned here is probably an abberation. Becoming "memorable" is a different story. Perhpas he still will, but he entered the LA market when radio was starting to show some failings. I won't provide an opinion on him, but I think his timing within the industry was a bit off. Right guy, wrong time.

Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself. Just was reading about his 10 Million dollar law suit which he paid along with ex KIIS GM Wally Clark for skimming profits on his Weekly Top 40. Rick was not known for his goodness, even lost his million dollar Liz Fulton lawsuit, partly because of this evidence (watch at the 7 minute mark), and the way he treated people in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9A7EdC3sGw

Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself.

None of that has anything to do with this topic. Either he's a good talent, or not. Every DJ has skeletons in his closet. From Dick Clark to Dr. Demento.

His ratings tell me that the people of Los Angeles didn't care about his business dealings. I don't either.

Lots of greats have called Los Angeles home over the years. Who would you consider the best of all time in The City Of Angels? Name/Call Letters/Years The only rule....no syndicated shows piped in from other places.
1) Real Don Steele (KHJ - K-100 - KRTH) 2) Jim Ladd (KMET - KLSX - KLOS) 3) Art Laboe (KRLA 1110 - Now on KDAY again) 4) Gary Owens (Various) 5) Mimi Chen (KSCA - KSWD) . Joe G

How about for longevity L.A.'s own Chuck Cecil and the Swingin' Years still running today in L.A. & Worldwide. That show has a magical way of transporting us into another time. This 92 year old guy is so frickin' hip that he once played the full punk version of 'English Civil War' by the Clash during a "Turning Time Around" segment in 1983. Nice guy too!

Worldwide Armed Forces special version of the Swingin' Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct7QEa8kyA

Not taking anything away from Chuck, but "The Swingin' Years" did its last broadcast (on its lone remaining station, WPPB, Long Island) last July. It hasn't been heard in Los Angeles for more than three years. Chuck broke off his relationship with KKJZ, Long Beach (which at the time was the only other station carrying it) in February of 2014. Johnny Magnus (who also is a candidate for best on air talent ever in Los Angeles) has been in Chuck's old Saturday and Sunday morning timeslot since with a show called "Swing Time".

Vin Scully, with the Dodgers from 1950 thru 2016, an amazing accomplishment!

Brian Beirne, Mr. Rock and Roll, on KRTH from 1976-2004 and broadcasting continuously for 29 years in Southern California.

Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself. Just was reading about his 10 Million dollar law suit which he paid along with ex KIIS GM Wally Clark for skimming profits on his Weekly Top 40. Rick was not known for his goodness, even lost his million dollar Liz Fulton lawsuit, partly because of this evidence (watch at the 7 minute mark), and the way he treated people in general.

Damn Rick Dees got the Wally George Treatment aka the President Trump's rant.

Not taking anything away from Chuck, but "The Swingin' Years" did its last broadcast (on its lone remaining station, WPPB, Long Island) last July. It hasn't been heard in Los Angeles for more than three years. Chuck broke off his relationship with KKJZ, Long Beach (which at the time was the only other station carrying it) in February of 2014. Johnny Magnus (who also is a candidate for best on air talent ever in Los Angeles) has been in Chuck's old Saturday and Sunday morning timeslot since with a show called "Swing Time".
Thank you Michael! I always viewed his contribution to Los Angeles and in worldwide distribution timeless and forgot he hung up his headphones last year. Met Chuck & his wife at the 1984 KIIS/KPRZ Christmas party. He loved the way I ran his bartered show on KPRZ at the time. There's a guy who stuck to what he believed in, and never wanted to work with a traditional syndicator

Damn Rick Dees got the Wally George Treatment aka the President Trump's rant.
Priceless and thank you too!

In the panoply of "underground" FM rock DJs of the late 60s and early 70s, many of whom were dull as dishwater, I can think of 5 that particularly stand out for me:

Les Carter - KPPC

Susan Carter, aka Outrageous Nevada - KPPC

Steven Segal, aka the Obscene Steven Clean - KPPC & KMET

B. Mitchell Reed- KPPC & KMET

Richard Kimball - KMET

I'm sure there were a few others - I notice Jim Ladd was mentioned earlier.

Rick Dees had a great career and was definitely a huge radio talent and any list of great LA Radio personalities that doesn't have him on it is wanting. That said, there are definitely some attributes that I believe has lessened his status over the years. The biggest one is that when Rick was (unceremoniously, for sure) told his time on KIIS was over and it was time to pass the baton to a talent of a younger generation (Ryan Seacrest), he didn't handle the situation with very much grace. Instead he seemed to publicly pout about it in a very passive/aggressive way, looking for another station that was aimed at the younger demographic to just immediately pick him up, which of course didn't happen (validating KIIS' decision in the first place). The hit music format had indeed passed him by, even if he didn't want to admit it.

The rumor at the time was that KRTH wanted him bad for their morning show and was willing to write the check to make it happen. This would have been a natural move for Rick as people in my generation who grew up listening to him in the 70's and 80's were already mostly transitioned from KIIS to KRTH anyway. If he would have moved into that chair then, there is a very good chance he might still be there now, and people would talk about his longevity just as they do for others that have been mentioned on this thread. And it's not like it hadn't been done before - Dick Clark went from broadcasting to teenagers to being the imaging voice and TV commercial personality for KOST for years, and that was back when KOST was still playing Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond records.

But the real issue is that once all of that had passed and he was eventually given gigs at Movin' and later Hot 92.3, the show simply wasn't the same. I don't know if he was just too busy with his other pursuits, or just plain lazy, but it was clear that he was not putting in the same effort to make a quality show. I said at the time that I thought he was just phoning it in. I think a lot of others must have thought so too because his audience didn't really follow him to those two stations.

By choosing not to grow old with his audience, he sacrificed them to continue to try and be young and hip to a new generation's audience that in turn only saw him as an aging DJ to which they did not relate. In the end, he lost both audiences. I believe this is why he doesn't get the level of respect his otherwise excellent career warrants.

Last edited:
I believe this is why he doesn't get the level of respect his otherwise excellent career warrants.

No one likes to admit they're getting old. Elton John recently claimed there's "agism" in radio because hit stations won't play his current music. That shouldn't diminish his stature for his past hits. But he still wants to get played on Top 40 radio. Don't we all.

As you say, Dick Clark was willing to do older targeting radio. He did Rock, Roll & Remember until his stroke. But he never wanted to retire, and was very hands-on with everything he did even after the stroke.

Last edited:
No one likes to admit they're getting old. Elton John recently claimed there's "agism" in radio because hit stations won't play his current music. That shouldn't diminish his stature for his past hits. But he still wants to get played on Top 40 radio. Don't we all.

As you say, Dick Clark was willing to do older targeting radio. He did Rock, Roll & Remember until his stroke. But he never wanted to retire, and was very hands-on with everything he did even after the stroke.

Well, I just turned 65 but I'm still "middle-aged." I plan to live until at least age 130...

Nothing against Dees and his talent, but a good deal of his popularity was likely due to the popularity of the station he was on. So he was not likely to pull in the same ratings at Movin' or Hot. Would Robert W. Morgan and the Real Don Steele have been number one in the late 60s and early 70s if they were on KFWB, KRLA, or KKDJ? I doubt it. I know they lost much of their audience when they were on K-100.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom