Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself.
    None of that has anything to do with this topic. Either he's a good talent, or not. Every DJ has skeletons in his closet. From Dick Clark to Dr. Demento.

    His ratings tell me that the people of Los Angeles didn't care about his business dealings. I don't either.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MChase2017 View Post
    Lots of greats have called Los Angeles home over the years. Who would you consider the best of all time in The City Of Angels? Name/Call Letters/Years The only rule....no syndicated shows piped in from other places.
    1) Real Don Steele (KHJ - K-100 - KRTH) 2) Jim Ladd (KMET - KLSX - KLOS) 3) Art Laboe (KRLA 1110 - Now on KDAY again) 4) Gary Owens (Various) 5) Mimi Chen (KSCA - KSWD) . Joe G

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    How about for longevity L.A.'s own Chuck Cecil and the Swingin' Years still running today in L.A. & Worldwide. That show has a magical way of transporting us into another time. This 92 year old guy is so frickin' hip that he once played the full punk version of 'English Civil War' by the Clash during a "Turning Time Around" segment in 1983. Nice guy too!

    Worldwide Armed Forces special version of the Swingin' Years
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ct7QEa8kyA
    Not taking anything away from Chuck, but "The Swingin' Years" did its last broadcast (on its lone remaining station, WPPB, Long Island) last July. It hasn't been heard in Los Angeles for more than three years. Chuck broke off his relationship with KKJZ, Long Beach (which at the time was the only other station carrying it) in February of 2014. Johnny Magnus (who also is a candidate for best on air talent ever in Los Angeles) has been in Chuck's old Saturday and Sunday morning timeslot since with a show called "Swing Time".

  4. #34
    Vin Scully, with the Dodgers from 1950 thru 2016, an amazing accomplishment!

    Brian Beirne, Mr. Rock and Roll, on KRTH from 1976-2004 and broadcasting continuously for 29 years in Southern California.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself. Just was reading about his 10 Million dollar law suit which he paid along with ex KIIS GM Wally Clark for skimming profits on his Weekly Top 40. Rick was not known for his goodness, even lost his million dollar Liz Fulton lawsuit, partly because of this evidence (watch at the 7 minute mark), and the way he treated people in general.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9A7EdC3sGw
    Damn Rick Dees got the Wally George Treatment aka the President Trump's rant.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    Not taking anything away from Chuck, but "The Swingin' Years" did its last broadcast (on its lone remaining station, WPPB, Long Island) last July. It hasn't been heard in Los Angeles for more than three years. Chuck broke off his relationship with KKJZ, Long Beach (which at the time was the only other station carrying it) in February of 2014. Johnny Magnus (who also is a candidate for best on air talent ever in Los Angeles) has been in Chuck's old Saturday and Sunday morning timeslot since with a show called "Swing Time".
    Thank you Michael! I always viewed his contribution to Los Angeles and in worldwide distribution timeless and forgot he hung up his headphones last year. Met Chuck & his wife at the 1984 KIIS/KPRZ Christmas party. He loved the way I ran his bartered show on KPRZ at the time. There's a guy who stuck to what he believed in, and never wanted to work with a traditional syndicator

    Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Damn Rick Dees got the Wally George Treatment aka the President Trump's rant.
    Priceless and thank you too!

  7. #37
    In the panoply of "underground" FM rock DJs of the late 60s and early 70s, many of whom were dull as dishwater, I can think of 5 that particularly stand out for me:

    Les Carter - KPPC

    Susan Carter, aka Outrageous Nevada - KPPC

    Steven Segal, aka the Obscene Steven Clean - KPPC & KMET

    B. Mitchell Reed- KPPC & KMET

    Richard Kimball - KMET

    I'm sure there were a few others - I notice Jim Ladd was mentioned earlier.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    Because Rick Dees didn't represent Los Angeles, he represented himself. Just was reading about his 10 Million dollar law suit which he paid along with ex KIIS GM Wally Clark for skimming profits on his Weekly Top 40. Rick was not known for his goodness, even lost his million dollar Liz Fulton lawsuit, partly because of this evidence (watch at the 7 minute mark), and the way he treated people in general.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9A7EdC3sGw
    Rick Dees had a great career and was definitely a huge radio talent and any list of great LA Radio personalities that doesn't have him on it is wanting. That said, there are definitely some attributes that I believe has lessened his status over the years. The biggest one is that when Rick was (unceremoniously, for sure) told his time on KIIS was over and it was time to pass the baton to a talent of a younger generation (Ryan Seacrest), he didn't handle the situation with very much grace. Instead he seemed to publicly pout about it in a very passive/aggressive way, looking for another station that was aimed at the younger demographic to just immediately pick him up, which of course didn't happen (validating KIIS' decision in the first place). The hit music format had indeed passed him by, even if he didn't want to admit it.

    The rumor at the time was that KRTH wanted him bad for their morning show and was willing to write the check to make it happen. This would have been a natural move for Rick as people in my generation who grew up listening to him in the 70's and 80's were already mostly transitioned from KIIS to KRTH anyway. If he would have moved into that chair then, there is a very good chance he might still be there now, and people would talk about his longevity just as they do for others that have been mentioned on this thread. And it's not like it hadn't been done before - Dick Clark went from broadcasting to teenagers to being the imaging voice and TV commercial personality for KOST for years, and that was back when KOST was still playing Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond records.

    But the real issue is that once all of that had passed and he was eventually given gigs at Movin' and later Hot 92.3, the show simply wasn't the same. I don't know if he was just too busy with his other pursuits, or just plain lazy, but it was clear that he was not putting in the same effort to make a quality show. I said at the time that I thought he was just phoning it in. I think a lot of others must have thought so too because his audience didn't really follow him to those two stations.

    By choosing not to grow old with his audience, he sacrificed them to continue to try and be young and hip to a new generation's audience that in turn only saw him as an aging DJ to which they did not relate. In the end, he lost both audiences. I believe this is why he doesn't get the level of respect his otherwise excellent career warrants.
    Last edited by ChannelFlipper; 03-22-2017 at 02:21 PM.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    I believe this is why he doesn't get the level of respect his otherwise excellent career warrants.
    No one likes to admit they're getting old. Elton John recently claimed there's "agism" in radio because hit stations won't play his current music. That shouldn't diminish his stature for his past hits. But he still wants to get played on Top 40 radio. Don't we all.

    As you say, Dick Clark was willing to do older targeting radio. He did Rock, Roll & Remember until his stroke. But he never wanted to retire, and was very hands-on with everything he did even after the stroke.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 03-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    No one likes to admit they're getting old. Elton John recently claimed there's "agism" in radio because hit stations won't play his current music. That shouldn't diminish his stature for his past hits. But he still wants to get played on Top 40 radio. Don't we all.

    As you say, Dick Clark was willing to do older targeting radio. He did Rock, Roll & Remember until his stroke. But he never wanted to retire, and was very hands-on with everything he did even after the stroke.
    Well, I just turned 65 but I'm still "middle-aged." I plan to live until at least age 130...

    Nothing against Dees and his talent, but a good deal of his popularity was likely due to the popularity of the station he was on. So he was not likely to pull in the same ratings at Movin' or Hot. Would Robert W. Morgan and the Real Don Steele have been number one in the late 60s and early 70s if they were on KFWB, KRLA, or KKDJ? I doubt it. I know they lost much of their audience when they were on K-100.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us