Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best On-Air Talent Ever In The City Of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post

Nothing against Dees and his talent, but a good deal of his popularity was likely due to the popularity of the station he was on.
    I'd say it was the other way around. KIIS went through a series of formats, and had just flipped back to Top 40 when they hired Dees. His morning show was the anchor that made KIIS the powerhouse it was. He also had a great production team and management. He didn't do it alone. But KIIS was not the station it became until he took over morning drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Elton John recently claimed there's "agism" in radio because hit stations won't play his current music. That shouldn't diminish his stature for his past hits. But he still wants to get played on Top 40 radio.
    I saw Elton John in concert last Thursday, a 2 1/2 hour show filled with 70's and some 80's hits and two songs from his latest album, "A Wonderful Crazy Night", which is also the same name of his latest tours with his full band. Interestingly, he didn't touch his 90's music, not even the Lion King songs. The show was fabulous and memorable! Yeah, I haven't heard his latest music on the radio either.
    Last edited by oldies76; 03-22-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I'd say it was the other way around. KIIS went through a series of formats, and had just flipped back to Top 40 when they hired Dees. His morning show was the anchor that made KIIS the powerhouse it was. He also had a great production team and management. He didn't do it alone. But KIIS was not the station it became until he took over morning drive.
    KIIS GM Wally Clark gets most of the credit. A guy who believed 30% of your overall budget needed to be in promotions. So, yes...Rick Dees was the high-profile morning show KIIS needed, but let's not discount the power of a KIIS billboard on the side of every RTD bus and a Porsche 944 with 25 grand in the glovebox every Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    KIIS GM Wally Clark gets most of the credit. A guy who believed 30% of your overall budget needed to be in promotions.
    If promotion money was all you needed to be #1 in mornings, you'd see more being spent. At the end of the day, the ONLY thing listeners care about is: Are you entertaining? Do I feel a need to listen? If the answer is yes, the promotion money is unimportant. Yes, promotion reminds people that he's there, but it's what he does that causes them to STAY there a while.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    KIIS GM Wally Clark gets most of the credit. A guy who believed 30% of your overall budget needed to be in promotions. So, yes...Rick Dees was the high-profile morning show KIIS needed, but let's not discount the power of a KIIS billboard on the side of every RTD bus and a Porsche 944 with 25 grand in the glovebox every Friday.
    This is mostly off topic, but it reminded me of the original KIIS billboard, when they first went on the air as a light-rock AM - about 1971. The billboard had a close-up of 2 pairs of lips (1 male, 1 female) kissing. The caption was

"KIIS. And Listen."

A couple of months later, K-Day (then Album Rock) put up billboards of a shapely young woman dressed in hippie-type clothes, and a head-band. The caption: "K-Day. And Get it On!
    Last edited by LKellerIII; 03-23-2017 at 04:36 PM.

my vote has to go to Jeff Dugan of QSKY 71.1 "where we never come down to earth"...and pioneer of headphones-free radio
    not trying to be the smartest person in the room...maybe later

Mo Kelly, KFI

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345