Oldies K-Surf Debuts on KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldies K-Surf Debuts on KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...-2-los-angeles

This '50s/'60s oldies format launched yesterday (March 11) on KKGO-FM HD2. For those of us who don't have HD Radios (myself included), this is simulcast on KBOQ-AM 1260 on weekends (from 5:00 PM Friday to 9:00 AM Monday). It's also streamed online 24/7 at http://www.laoldies.com/. I'm streaming it on my iPhone as I'm posting this message.

As most Angelenos on here may remember, this isn't the first time that music from the '50s and '60s has been heard on the 1260 AM frequency in L.A. Some here may recall that as KGIL, using the "Retro 1260" moniker, the station played a mix of standards and oldies; and for a time under that moniker they had oldies weekends. And from August 2004 to June 2005, they were all oldies every day, with the call letters KSUR. At that time, they simulcasted on Tijuana-licensed XESURF-AM 540, by which time they were "Oldies 540 and 1260," later listing the higher frequency before the lower frequency in their moniker. The Tijuana station still has the XESURF call sign as a Spanish-language Christian station.

I invite those of you who enjoy this kind of music, regardless of your age, to check it out any way you can.
    Last edited by Mastaclocksetta; 03-12-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Anything to keep oldies alive.....I'll check it out.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Listening.....
    Illegitimi non carborundum

KMozart is still saying KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2 at the top of each hour.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    Listening.....
    Really liking it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Goodfellow View Post
    Really liking it so far.
    Me too. Very different playlist than some of the other Oldies outlets are currently playing. Much softer.

Me too. Very different playlist than some of the other Oldies outlets are currently playing. Much softer.
    LA Oldies will identify with the California lifestyle which will be a major theme of the radio station.

That's the stated philosophy, but the first three songs I've heard have been "Little Town Flirt" (Del Shannon, from Michigan, who moved to NYC to become a recording artist), "These Eyes" (Guess Who, from Manitoba), and "Running Scared" (Roy Orbison, from Memphis via Texas). I don't feel that "California lifestyle" vibe yet. Maybe they're going to play only American artists and ignore the British Invasion.

I lived in the Bay Area the first two years of the 60's decade and again during the last few years. In between I was stationed in Long Beach and Vietnam so I sampled a good part of the SoCal 60's. It seemed to begin sort of smooth with holdovers from the 50's (and the new girl groups) then came Surf, Folk Rock and the British Invasion and the beginnings of protest rock. So far I haven't heard much of the latter but it is a nice change from what usually passes as Oldies.

I lived in the Bay Area the first two years of the 60's decade and again during the last few years. In between I was stationed in Long Beach and Vietnam so I sampled a good part of the SoCal 60's. It seemed to begin sort of smooth with holdovers from the 50's (and the new girl groups) then came Surf, Folk Rock and the British Invasion and the beginnings of protest rock. So far I haven't heard much of the latter but it is a nice change from what usually passes as Oldies.
    I was in France in 2011. Their Oldies station ("Nostalgie") played the Beach Boys constantly...I guess surf music was popular in France. And they played very few French language Oldies - maybe one in every 6 or 7 songs.

Nice to see KKGO making good use of their HD subchannels..real oldies and Standards on HD3. Two formats that are rarely heard on the main channels. Surprised KRTH dropped their Classics on their HD2 last year. Now if only those two formats were on New York's HD subchannels

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast