• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

80s rap song on an 80s/90s Classic Hits station?

The instrumental to Rapper's Delight was taken from Chic's Good Times, in fact rap music started with battle rappers rhyming over disco instrumentals.
The urban AC where I live used to play both these songs together on Friday nights as part of a show where they would gradually transition between two similar-sounding songs. I haven't checked to see if they're still doing it.

I am already on record as disagreeing with the part in bold above. Virtually all of the rap I have ever heard (and I will submit it isn't anywhere near all of it) does not have any non-percussion instrumentation.

Most of the rap I've heard has non-percussion instrumentation. There is some that doesn't, or the non-percussion instrumentation is minimal, but most has some music in it. And I've heard a lot of rap. Was into it for a short time in the early 1990's, and worked at a format factory, where we heard everything, for over a decade.

Most of the rap I've heard has non-percussion instrumentation. There is some that doesn't, or the non-percussion instrumentation is minimal, but most has some music in it. And I've heard a lot of rap. Was into it for a short time in the early 1990's, and worked at a format factory, where we heard everything, for over a decade.

I agree, but the music often consists of one short musical phrase repeated again and again and again -- sometimes original, sometimes stolen, I mean sampled. The overall sound is rhythmic-dominant, whether that rhythm is provided by drums, a drum machine, bass, or synthesized bass. It may be foolish to argue the fine points of hip-hop, rap, dance or any other melody-minimalistic genre with someone named "boombox4," though! :)

These are the 80s/90s songs that I believe should or could be played on classic hits stations. Walk this Way - Run DMC, Fight For Your Right to Party - Beastie Boys, The Rain - Oran Juice Jones, Freaks Come Out at Night-Whodini, Bust a Move-Young MC, Funky Cold Medina and Wild Thing-Tone Loc, U Can't Touch This-MC Hammer, Knockin Boots-Candyman and Humpty Dance by Digital Underground.

I actually forgot a few more. It Takes Two-Rob Base and DJ Easy Rock, LL Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out, Gonna Make You Sweat-C&C Music Factory, Wipe Out-Fat Boys featuring the Beach Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince-Summertime, Parents Just Don't Understand, Nightmare on My Street, The Roof is on Fire by Rockmaster Scott and the Dynamic Three, Jump-Kriss Kross, Jump Around-House of Pain. do you think any of these or the ones above will be played on classic hit stations?

I actually forgot a few more. It Takes Two-Rob Base and DJ Easy Rock, LL Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out, Gonna Make You Sweat-C&C Music Factory, Wipe Out-Fat Boys featuring the Beach Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince-Summertime, Parents Just Don't Understand, Nightmare on My Street, The Roof is on Fire by Rockmaster Scott and the Dynamic Three, Jump-Kriss Kross, Jump Around-House of Pain. do you think any of these or the ones above will be played on classic hit stations?

Several of them would likely not fit because they wouldn't resonate well with the audience. It Takes Two--a likely safe bet. Gonna Make You Sweat--ditto. Parents Just Don't Understand--maybe. Summertime--sure. Not so much Nightmare on My Street, and I'd bet--if I were a betting person--Wipeout wouldn't test well enough to make the cut.

I predicted that the classic rap format was the jamming oldies of the 2010's and it tanked just like the jamming oldies format did in the early 2000's. Most of the disco music that was part of the jamming oldies format assimilated into the classic hits format of the present. I think a lot of the classic rap songs that were heard on those stations which were mostly 90's-early 00's hip hop not a lot of 80's, will probably end up on classic hits stations in the future. In my area San Antonio, I can hear classic hits including classic rap of the 90's-00's and some 80's freestyle, mixed in the with 90's rock and pop.

The classic hits station in Philly as of now, still has not played on 80s rap song. I am not sure if this does not test well in Philly. But we also have an old skool hip hop station. That really should not matter, because we have other stations that overlap some songs. Any idea why?

Well my classic hits station KONO 101.1 in San Antonio played U Cant Touch This by MC Hammer today and I was shocked to say the least.

Our Jack-FM recently played "Bust a Move" and "Wild Thang" about 10 minutes apart. No big deal, except that both were written by Tone Loc, and usually they would put more separation than that between two rap songs, even two rap songs which are considered safe for airplay.

"Whoomp, There It Is" in KMart.

I'm not entirely certain of the format but there's a lot of 80s and 90s material.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom