WCBS-880's 50th Anniversary of All News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCBS-880's 50th Anniversary of All News

WCBS-880's 50th Anniversary of All News

Nicely done video here: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/...s-in-new-york/

Ironic, though, to hear the on-air promos for WCBS-880 becoming an all-news station running during the non-news Ric Eddleman show.

The first news story was the destruction of the WCBS-AM/WNBC-AM tower and explaining why they were broadcasting on WCBS-FM. Never a good thing when your own station is the headline story of the day.

The former host of CBS Sunday Morning Charles Osgood was the first Host of WCBS 880 as All-News except that was on 101.1FM for a few hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryATL View Post
    The first news story was the destruction of the WCBS-AM/WNBC-AM tower and explaining why they were broadcasting on WCBS-FM. Never a good thing when your own station is the headline story of the day.
    When was the "was the destruction of the WCBS-AM/WNBC-AM tower? I believe that in 1967 WNBC and WCBS each had their own site

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    When was the "was the destruction of the WCBS-AM/WNBC-AM tower? I believe that in 1967 WNBC and WCBS each had their own site
    August 27, 1967. 660 and 880 have shared the High Island tower since 1963.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    The former host of CBS Sunday Morning Charles Osgood was the first Host of WCBS 880 as All-News except that was on 101.1FM for a few hours though.
    Not quite. First anchor of the all-news format was the late Steve Porter.

First day aircheck is here-->>> http://donswaim.com/wcbssoundpage.html#Airchecks

The format change certainly was a wise one. Despite having to split the market with WINS, all news has kept WCBS viable and relevant.

My question has always been...why not postpone the all-news format for the week that it took WCBS-AM to get to a backup site?

I doubt they had anybody chomping at the bit to start a second all-news station in that week. It just seems pretty bizarre to put it onto a FM at that time unless it was some sort of weird union staffing issue...

Lastly, a goofy aside, but anybody who stayed at Walt Disney World in the 80's and 90's remember WCBS-AM being on the cable system down there along with the local NOAA station? IIRC, it was a picture of the Manhattan skyline with "WCBS-AM Newsradio 88 New York" inside a contour of Mickey Mouse's head. FM quality sound. Pretty sure it was just the WDW cable system that provided CBS AM...my parents cheaped out one time and we stayed at what is now a Wyndham across I-4. No 880 on cable there...by the time I was old enough to cough up the dough in 2005, it was gone from WDW cable.

Radio-X
    Last edited by Radio-X; 03-15-2017 at 11:21 PM.
    Proud to still be the least important paid worker in the Seattle/Tacoma media industry!

Not for use in MD, CT, NY, Cook County IL, HI, UT, PR, and where otherwise prohibited by law

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-X View Post
    My question has always been...why not postpone the all-news format for the week that it took WCBS-AM to get to a backup site?

I doubt they had anybody chomping at the bit to start a second all-news station in that week. It just seems pretty bizarre to put it onto a FM at that time unless it was some sort of weird union staffing issue...
    The new format had been heavily promoted in all media in advance of the start date, so it would have been foolish not to start it when they said they would, even if it had to start on another band. Besides, the all-news format was literally willed into being by CBS chairman William Paley, who was a news junkie and despaired of having to listen to a competitor (at that time) to get his news fix. He reasoned that CBS, with its (at that time) unparalleled news operation, ought to be able to do a better job than Westinghouse's WINS. When the big boss wants the format change, you kinda have to go along.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast