• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS-880's 50th Anniversary of All News

Good point! Is the real estate they presently operate from not marketable for some reason?

It is likely not premium real estate. If you drive by it, the area is full of rather old and decrepit factory and warehouse buildings, many looking like they are not in use (which may be deceptive and a good mask for sweatshops inside!). I would guess that, today, the cost of doing engineering, getting new land and permits and moving would just not be worth it for an AM station.

660 and 880, being non-directional...were not compelled to move to High Island...it is truly the dream site for both stations.
Why not the third dominant clear in the market, also?

Last edited:
Why not the third dominant clear in the market, also?

Good question. Of course, it's likely that they preferred the site in Lodi, NJ, that they already had, as it was fairly unpopulated when built and wasted less signal over the water. The island site looks like it can't accomodate another tower, and I doubt they'd have wanted to try to put 2 signals that are each 110 kcs apart from each other into a triplexer back when all those calculations were done by hand and the result was often fairly high Q narrow bandwidth circuits. I built a diplexer for 570 and 805, a bit over a quarter megacycle apart, and even then it was extra work to keep the bandwidth we wanted.

...and even then it was extra work to keep the bandwidth we wanted.
Who would have ever suspected that we would have so many multiplexed arrays as we have today
and that many of them would be directionals with multiple patterns for days and nights?

You know about our three stations that just played musical transmitter sites in south Florida,
two of the three markedly improved their day and night signals,
not a single tower was added or removed, and all sixteen of them are still being used,
though R-L suggests that the one in Boynton is no longer there, and I do not know if they are.

Many years ago, WCBS would pause 10 (or was it 30?) seconds overnight for "a transmitter adjustment." Does anyone know why? (Of course, we all know that the 880 signal is non-directional.)

Per the rules at the time, some readings and measurements were supposed to be taken with no modulation (which made Paul Harvey's show a good time to take base current readings at a directional I worked at). I would imagine it could have been something like that

Many years ago, WCBS would pause 10 (or was it 30?) seconds overnight for "a transmitter adjustment." Does anyone know why? (Of course, we all know that the 880 signal is non-directional.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom