Same market, same format, same owner. Why do they exist? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Same market, same format, same owner. Why do they exist?

Sometimes it's to lock someone out of the format totally. For example, for several years in Atlanta, the same company owned both country stations. The idea was that it would prevent anyone else from getting into the battle. It worked for a while. Plus, the company can combine the ratings and sell the advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    With the AM Sports station, the logic in that is likely revenue for clearing a national format in the market. Presuming the signal was otherwise significantly underperforming, it would be a way to get some cash flow for an asset without having to do much locally.
    This is actually pretty common among the spoken word formats. Put all your contracts on the AM and have the FM simulcast and have flexibility with programming (meaning if you have a game broadcast, put it on the FM and the contract for regular programming is fulfilled by being on the AM). It also helps with overflow situations if you have multiple sports contracts of teams who's seasons overlap) Previous owner at the stations I'm employed at did that with 2 AM news/talkers. If he couldn't clear it on one, it went on the other.

In Houston the Classic Rocker is on two FM signals with a chunk of the metro able to hear both stations easily. That move effectively wiped out their competitor leaving the 2 signal classic rocker the lone wolf in the market. The combination of the signals gives them a combined audience that puts them near the top of the ratings, commanding a better position than either frequency had on its own.

This will soon be true in Miami, due to the Entercom merger, with WQAM and WAXY AM being Sports-formatted and both owned by Entercom.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyNT View Post
    WBAP/KLIF. Both News Talk stations, WBAP has been solidly kicking KLIF's butt from the get-go. I have no fathomable idea of WHY they keep KLIF, unless they think its their answer to KRLD. (Far from it, KLIF is pulling a 0.4). Dallas actually has several examples mostly thanks to Cumulus. KLIF/WBAP(Talk), KTCK/KESN/KTCK-FM (Sports), KPLX/KSCS(Country). All duplicates of each other but I guess different enough to not cannibalize.
    and don't forget IHeartMedia has a monopoly on Rock music in the market with Classic Rock 92.5 KZPS (Lone Star 92.5) and hard rock (and now that 102.1 is no longer modern rock, its also modern rock/alternative as well) 97.1 KEGL (97.1 The Eagle) and before it flipped back in November to AC, Modern/Alternative 102.1 KDGE (formerly 102.1 The Edge, now Star 102.1)

Cumulus has 2 talk stations KGO-AM and KSFO-AM but its aimed for different audiences in the Bay Area. However they are not that relevant in the Bay Area Market. But Cumulus has two sports talkers on 680AM and 1050AM and thats more relevant to Bay Area Audiences due to how the Warriors are doing to the spring training of the San Francisco Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan7157 View Post
    This will soon be true in Miami, due to the Entercom merger, with WQAM and WAXY AM being Sports-formatted and both owned by Entercom.
    It will be interesting to see how it all turns out too. While WQAM is a legacy station that has major history and great programing, WAXY is also one of the best formatted sports stations in the market. My guess (and it's just a guess) is WQAM will be more local while WAXY goes more ESPN.
    Radio is not a Job. Radio, is a way of life.

Also, WFLA and WHNZ in Tampa have the same owner, because both are News/Talk stations owned by iHeart.

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    WCKT/WIKX- Signal location. They both cover Cape Coral/Fort Myers, but those to the north have trouble hearing WCKT and south with WIKX.

WBCG/WZJZ- Looks like a slight format difference. WBCG seems more mainstream AC vs. WZJZ being more Hot AC. (I know. Not much of a difference these days, but I don't know spin totals etc. to get a better idea.)

WKSS/WKCI- You answered your own question. Plus in this case, both stations were long-entrenched and doing well with their CHR formats when both came under iHeart ownership. Both print money, so why change that?
    If it isn't broken then why fix it.

I can't believe I forgot to mention WKDD and WAKS. While they serve two different areas, in reality their towers are less than 10 miles away from one another. 'KDD covers 70 DBU over Cleveland and 'AKS covers Cleveland and Akron equally well. They could simulcast one another if they wanted to. "96-5 and 98-1 KISS-FM, Northeast Ohio's Hit Music Leader!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast