Same market, same format, same owner. Why do they exist?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same market, same format, same owner. Why do they exist?

Same market, same format, same owner. Why do they exist?

Why would stations like WCKT and WIKX (along with WZJZ and WBCG?) (Fort Myers) and WKSS and WKCI (technically different markets, but TONS of signal overlap, licensed and transmitting from the same market), among others, be owned by the same company despite tons of signal overlap? Their main competitors are themselves (save for WZJZ/WBCG, WZJZ has a MUCH larger signal)!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgsinger View Post
    Why would stations like WCKT and WIKX (along with WZJZ and WBCG?) (Fort Myers) and WKSS and WKCI (technically different markets, but TONS of signal overlap, licensed and transmitting from the same market), among others, be owned by the same company despite tons of signal overlap? Their main competitors are themselves (save for WZJZ/WBCG, WZJZ has a MUCH larger signal)!
    WCKT/WIKX- Signal location. They both cover Cape Coral/Fort Myers, but those to the north have trouble hearing WCKT and south with WIKX.

WBCG/WZJZ- Looks like a slight format difference. WBCG seems more mainstream AC vs. WZJZ being more Hot AC. (I know. Not much of a difference these days, but I don't know spin totals etc. to get a better idea.)

WKSS/WKCI- You answered your own question. Plus in this case, both stations were long-entrenched and doing well with their CHR formats when both came under iHeart ownership. Both print money, so why change that?

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    WCKT/WIKX- Signal location. They both cover Cape Coral/Fort Myers, but those to the north have trouble hearing WCKT and south with WIKX.
    The 60 dbu of WIKX does not get out of Lee County, and the 70 dbu barely reaches Ft Myers. It is really a Pt Charlotte station, and Charlotte County is not even part of the Ft Myers MSA. WCKT just barely gets a 70 dbu up to Ft Myers, so the two are highly complimentary and make up for each other's deficiencies.

WBCG/WZJZ- Looks like a slight format difference. WBCG seems more mainstream AC vs. WZJZ being more Hot AC. (I know. Not much of a difference these days, but I don't know spin totals etc. to get a better idea.)
    Yes, there are some small playlist differences and bigger rotation differences. One is Hot AC, the other is AC. The logic is in the revenue potential of these two very salable formats.

WKSS/WKCI- You answered your own question. Plus in this case, both stations were long-entrenched and doing well with their CHR formats when both came under iHeart ownership. Both print money, so why change that?
    Yes, they are both successful. And neither puts a 70 dbu signal over the core... and largest city... of the other market, although there is overlap.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

WIKX also overlaps with its country sister station in Sarasota/Venice (different market), WCTQ. In fact, most of WCTQ's 60 dbu signal is inside of WIKX's 60 dbu signal

We just got an AM sports station here in Jackson, even though the company that owns them also has a separate FM sports station.

This is far more common that the few examples in this thread. WCBS & WINS in New York is a good example. Both make tons of money. KPLX and KSCS in Dallas. Both make tons of money. Another reason: They keep out competitors from other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by golden eagles97 View Post
    We just got an AM sports station here in Jackson, even though the company that owns them also has a separate FM sports station.
    There are quite a few examples of one company running two all-sports stations in a market. Often they'll simulcast most of the day, but one station is affiliated with Alabama football play-by-play and one is affiliated with Auburn's network. Its a way to efficiently gather all of the sports revenue in a market and not let revenue from Auburn fans go to your competitor.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

With the AM Sports station, the logic in that is likely revenue for clearing a national format in the market. Presuming the signal was otherwise significantly underperforming, it would be a way to get some cash flow for an asset without having to do much locally.

WBAP/KLIF. Both News Talk stations, WBAP has been solidly kicking KLIF's butt from the get-go. I have no fathomable idea of WHY they keep KLIF, unless they think its their answer to KRLD. (Far from it, KLIF is pulling a 0.4). Dallas actually has several examples mostly thanks to Cumulus. KLIF/WBAP(Talk), KTCK/KESN/KTCK-FM (Sports), KPLX/KSCS(Country). All duplicates of each other but I guess different enough to not cannibalize.
    Last edited by LibertyNT; 03-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyNT View Post
    All duplicates of each other but I guess different enough to not cannibalize.
    That's why you have air talent and branding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast