• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strange signal in West TN - Any ideas on what this is?

I've been meaning to post this since before the board outage, and I'm posting this on both the Tennessee radio and DX and Reception boards: In my regular job I travel to different areas in West TN, and I've been picking up a strange signal on 92.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31qrXiv2ryk

It's strong in the Ripley, Covington, and Brownsville areas, and I've picked it up with a spotty signal to the outer edges of Jackson and Dyersburg, and at Alamo where I live, and I've picked it up on both my car radios.

Would anyone have any idea what this, and would anyone who lives in the area have an idea where it's coming from? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the info James. But WHY are they transmitting such an obnoxious noise? Surely they can find something else to put on, even if it's a simple tone.

That's certainly strange. It almost reminds me of a control channel on a trunked public safety radio system. I'm wondering if it could be some sort of digital noise that should be getting decoded into actual audio? I've heard a few stations in the past that played "hash" until their decoders were kicked in the pants.

That's certainly strange. It almost reminds me of a control channel on a trunked public safety radio system. I'm wondering if it could be some sort of digital noise that should be getting decoded into actual audio? I've heard a few stations in the past that played "hash" until their decoders were kicked in the pants.

The more I've thought about it I believe that this was previously a translator for K-LOVE until improvements in their stations in Memphis and Dyersburg. and I guess they sold it to IHeart.

If they don't know about the noise or aren't doing anything about it that means more than likely nobody's listening, so I guess they're just trying to keep it legal until they move it. But they could still carry something else beside the noise.

I was in Covington again today and the noise was gone. I don't know if the translator has been shut down or if they're in the process of moving it to Memphis.

I was back in Covington today and 92.1 is back on and rebroadcasting KJMS V101.1 in Memphis, which is also owned by IHeart. The signal was strong enough that I think they're still in Covington.

I was in Covington again today, and apparently the translator has been moved and is now carrying WREC. I could still pick it up, but with a weaker signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom