• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM/Translator Observations

Please enlighten me, why all the translators popping up these days? It's nearly beyond the point of even trying to DX any longer. No more chance of hearing KQXY, KYKR, KAGG, KKMY, KIOC cause of all the ethnic/junk in the way.

Most of the translator activity is "caused" by AM stations that now have special FCC rules that allow them to acquire and move translators to add FM to their service. This was caused, and needed, as AM listening continues to decline. And it also allows daytimers to add night service and existing FMs to add, via HD-2 and HD-3 simulcasts, new services and formats in the market.

DXers may be unhappy, but local listeners generally are not.

104.5 is being eaten up by two different stations boat in English one playing hip-hop the other one sounding a lot like 95 seven the spot

Huge tropo tunnel going on, picking up a country station on 95.1 picking up another country station on 98.1 FM picking up a regional Mexican station on 99.5 FM . 101.3 some talk show, picking up 103.5. Picking up 106.7 some station that Ian playing commercials at the moment mentioning Nissan From San Marcos. Also another station on 107.1 playing Regional Mexican music.

Huge tropo tunnel going on, picking up a country station on 95.1 picking up another country station on 98.1 FM picking up a regional Mexican station on 99.5 FM . 101.3 some talk show, picking up 103.5. Picking up 106.7 some station that Ian playing commercials at the moment mentioning Nissan From San Marcos. Also another station on 107.1 playing Regional Mexican music.

Bob-FM obliterated Cypress radio, even activating HD a couple of times this morning.

104.5 is being eaten up by two different stations boat in English one playing hip-hop the other one sounding a lot like 95 seven the spot

The hip hop could be KZEP Hot 1045 San antonio.

The 107.7 translator has been off the air for at least the past five days. Also nothing heard on their proposed new 97.3 frequency.

The 105.3 translator is still off the air as well.

Haven't heard anything out of KRUT for several weeks.

Seems like the Guevara brothers are at it again.

This time with there La Calle 92.5 K223CW . They have requested to move their antenna to point more to the southwest side of Houston.

Also on Their 105.3 translator, they have been basically requesting to move their translator to cover most of houston. They have been requesting the same permit over and over and it gets denied. Wonder what's going on with that?

Translators are very valuable right now. In essence, they have a translator, they're just looking for the right location at this point. The Houston dial is so crowded it's hard to find the right spot and configuration. You can lease translators. They know there's gold out there, they're just looking around for the mine.

K240CW has been approved to move to houston on 96.9 fm. Looks like it will cover south of downtown.

Also from the same owner K222CX 92.3 will move closer to houston.

And K222CX is now on the air, apparently in testing mode. Urban Gospel music, but NOT simulcasting alleged parent KYOK. There was a legal ID for the translator at 7pm. Decent signal at my Cy-Fair location, but does not disturb the first adjacents either side.

Yes they have been on since yesterday but not 96.9. Well at least I can't hear 96.9

Also on Their 105.3 translator, they have been basically requesting to move their translator to cover most of houston.

No translator can cover "most of Houston". Maybe they can cover a significant part of Harris County but in the context of radio, "Houston" is the 11 county Metro Survey Area for Nielsen, not one city or county.

No translator can cover "most of Houston". Maybe they can cover a significant part of Harris County but in the context of radio, "Houston" is the 11 county Metro Survey Area for Nielsen, not one city or county.

To me Houston is my city, not what A survey says.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom