• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is 790 WLBE still a viable station?

MediaMan

Frequent Participant
Not that familiar with central Florida local radio but when visiting the area, always was impressed with WLBE in Leesburg as far as signal and it looks like they have a decent signal at night...1KW with just two towers on 790 is a lot better than many small town AM stations.

In researching on the internet, it looks like at one point the station was prominent in the community with local news, etc. but most of the material I see dates back to the 1960s/1970s. Have they been able to hang on to a local presence or is it pretty much the case as with most AMs....there but not very relative any more.

I've listened to 640 operated by the Villages and that's a great sounding radio station pretty much sounds just like a full service community AM from the 1970s but hereagain once wonders does it even matter any more?

Both WLBE and WVLG should try to get a FM translator.

Another AM in that part of Florida with a glorious past is WLKF on 1430 in Lakeland the former WLAK. They were very lucky when they moved from 1340 to 1430 and able to get 1000 watts at night non directional. Only the oldest of the old regional channel AMs like 1430 were able to run non directional at night with that power level. There are only a handful of them around the nation. The rest all had to have multiple towers.

Having worked at WLBE twice before, both when it was Talk & also when they just flipped to Oldies, I think it is still a viable AM station, as well as WVLG. I think O.K. Walters did a great job turning the station around when he was at WLBE.

It would be nice for both stations to have a translator, but their signal coverage is good enough for them not to need one. WLBE also streams online for that stereo sound.

AM, in general, isn't a viable business unless you're like Salem and have a ton of signals that you can market as a whole to preachers who are willing to pay for the airtime to get such a large reach.

It's possible that WLBE has the right combination of an old enough population and enough businesses that need to reach that population to survive that it can make money. I also wouldn't be surprised if it charges some of its specialty shows for the airtime. That model, though, is really tough to profit off of and, where it works, doesn't make anybody rich.

Speaking of WLBE, they've changed formats as of last week, and are now airing Country music in place of the Oldies. Ron Bisson (mornings) is still there.

Byron

Half a century ago, I could hear WFUN, Miami, until WLBE started taking over 790 at around the Yeehaw Junction.
I do not remember what they aired. "Where Listening Brings Enjoyment"
Getting a strong translator is so significant that it is like putting a new station on the air.

Half a century ago, I could hear WFUN, Miami, until WLBE started taking over 790 at around the Yeehaw Junction.
I do not remember what they aired. "Where Listening Brings Enjoyment"
Getting a strong translator is so significant that it is like putting a new station on the air.

I see where WLBE has filed with the FCC to be silent due to financial difficulties. Another one bites the dust.

How much trouble could they have with a two tower, 1kW array?
As I recall, the station has had technical and money-flow issues for many years.

Maybe WQBQ can pick up a few extra sponsors.
—————-
Maybe WQBQ could pick some of the sponsor’s although I don’t know if WLBE had many local sponsors, WVLG had picked up several car dealers that used to advertise on WLBE back in the day; I guess like many people I don’t scan or even listen to the AM band all that often, the last time was about 10 days ago and WLBE was still on the air then; but I’m in Eastern Hernando county now (probably about 28 miles from Leesburg) and was surprised that Radio Locator has already deleted WLBE and of course, when I went to listen around 1255 this afternoon, I was surprised that mid day this time of year of getting 790 out of Miami, not really listenable (fading in and out) but I did hear a commercial for Hollywood Toyota and the Seminole Indian Reservation facility.

Looks like WLBE has been sold for $75,000.

as I posted on the Orlando board.. last week....... to the Aroyo famiy which owns 1030 and others in orlando

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom