• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

21st Century Fox defends Sky acquisition against U.K. regulator pushback

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcas...ky-acquisition-against-u-k-regulator-pushback

Part of this goes back to the 2011 backlash over NewsCorp's phone hacking scandal in the UK.

“We note the statement issued by the Secretary of State following formal notification of the proposed transaction. As we have previously indicated, we anticipate regulators will undertake a thorough review of the transaction, and we look forward to engaging with them as appropriate. We believe the combination of 21st Century Fox and Sky will create a company best suited to compete in a rapidly evolving industry, and are confident that the transaction will be approved based on a compelling fact set,” said a 21st Century Fox spokesperson in a statement.

The statement in question, issued today by the U.K.’s Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport Karen Bradley, suggested a European Intervention Notice may be required since public interest considerations—as set out in the Enterprise Act 2002—that are relevant to this proposed merger warrant further investigation.

In particular, issues of media plurality and broadcast standards were cited as reasons for a deeper look at the merger.

“The first public interest ground on which I am minded to intervene is media plurality. That is, specifically, the need for there to be a sufficient plurality of persons with control of the media enterprises serving audiences in the U.K.,” said Bradley in a statement. “The second public interest ground on which I am minded to intervene is commitment to broadcasting standards. This ground relates to the need for persons carrying on media enterprises, and for those with control of such enterprises, to have a genuine commitment to attaining broadcasting standards objectives.”

Bradley noted that she will not make a final decision to intervene before receiving further written explanations from the companies by March 8.

“I also want to be clear on what this means in terms of the overall process. Any decision to intervene is not the end of the matter. Instead, it would recognize these public interest considerations may be relevant to the merger and will trigger action by Ofcom to assess and report to me on them and for the Competition and Markets Authority to report on jurisdiction. There would then be a further decision-making stage for me to undertake, in light of these reports. But we are not at that stage yet,” Bradley added.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom