• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DSPX-HD vs. Omnia One

Hey!

I will soon be up running my own CHR internet station but have some questions first.

I bought a DSPX-HD for cheap price. I think this processor sounds ok but i dont get the loudness that i want without much distortion. I know there will always be a trade off between loudness and clarity.

Now i got the oppertunity to buy a Omnia One for a fairly good price. Is this good deal to change? Will the Omnia be louder with more clarity? They are almost in the same price range. I really want a differens if i make the deal. Will it be worth it?

If pointless to change, what can you recommend? What do i need to really make a differens from the DSPX-HD? I dont have the budget to buy a 8600 or the 11. I can spend up to $3000.

Will adding a Aphex 320 or a Ariane Sequel to the DSPX-HD do it?

All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Hey!

I will soon be up running my own CHR internet station but have some questions first.

I bought a DSPX-HD for cheap price. I think this processor sounds ok but i dont get the loudness that i want without much distortion. I know there will always be a trade off between loudness and clarity.

Now i got the oppertunity to buy a Omnia One for a fairly good price. Is this good deal to change? Will the Omnia be louder with more clarity? They are almost in the same price range. I really want a differens if i make the deal. Will it be worth it?

If pointless to change, what can you recommend? What do i need to really make a differens from the DSPX-HD? I dont have the budget to buy a 8600 or the 11. I can spend up to $3000.

Thanks!

For internet radio you do not want clipping and do not need a stereo generator.
Buy the Orban 1100 card new for a little over $1000...it sounds great on streaming and HD radio where all you need is level control and compression/limiting.
The Stereo Tool software is free and sounds great too! Same for the Breakaway processing...the Breakaway even limits adjustments so you can't make it sound too bad.
Personally...I would use the free stuff. If you love the Orban sound you can do that economically with the 1100 card.

Hey!

Thanks!

For internet radio you do not want clipping and do not need a stereo generator.
Buy the Orban 1100 card new for a little over $1000...it sounds great on streaming and HD radio where all you need is level control and compression/limiting.

The Stereo Tool software is free and sounds great too! Same for the Breakaway processing...the Breakaway even limits adjustments so you can't make it sound too bad.
Personally...I would use the free stuff. If you love the Orban sound you can do that economically with the 1100 card.

Omnia also makes a software based processing package if you love the Omnia sound. Much cheaper than buying a One.

Last edited:
First the dsp-hd should work just fine. I find the front panel cumbersome so I hope you have the remote software. Here is the manual
http://www.bwbroadcast.com/files/downloads/DSPX-HD v1.00 Manual.pdf
it has alot of good information on processing techniques. Remember bit rate reduced audio does not like clipping so utilize look ahead limiting and distortion controlled clippers. This is quite different then the analog days. If I had time I could set one up and send you a preset.

I also have to second the Orban 1100, it was designed around bit rate reduced audio and has the horse power of an 8400/8500 class processor. Here is my personal stream using an 1100, source material has no consistency and comes in many forms from folks all over but I think it sounds pretty good @ 32k. I will warn you I like bass - http://ice64.securenetsystems.net/95FL

Also your encoder plays a lot in all of this as well, the mentioned examples are all AAC streams which today should be standard operating procedure.

First of all thanks guys for all your input here.

There's nothing wrong with the DSPX-HD. Pretty good sounding peice of processor for the price. The problem is that i want it to sounds louder with cleaner sound. Regarding the 1100. I had one before and i have to say that the sound quality was amazing. But.. Still i found it not to sound as loud as i want. I guess im stuck in 90's fm loudness war :) lol

Also a problem here is that i am putting my station perspective with the major market stations net streams.

hdradioeng: I have put many hours reading the manual and trying to get the sound that i want. When i am near to achive it always ends up with much distortion. I dont think this processor can handle what i am seeking and im afraid that i got so high expectations that i have to get like a Omnia 9/11 to get where i want. Talk about overkill to geat the sounds i want for my amateur stream! lol If you have the time it would be awesome if you could help me to get a good sounding preset.

Thanks

First of all thanks guys for all your input here.

There's nothing wrong with the DSPX-HD. Pretty good sounding peice of processor for the price. The problem is that i want it to sounds louder with cleaner sound. Regarding the 1100. I had one before and i have to say that the sound quality was amazing. But.. Still i found it not to sound as loud as i want. I guess im stuck in 90's fm loudness war :) lol

Also a problem here is that i am putting my station perspective with the major market stations net streams.

hdradioeng: I have put many hours reading the manual and trying to get the sound that i want. When i am near to achive it always ends up with much distortion. I dont think this processor can handle what i am seeking and im afraid that i got so high expectations that i have to get like a Omnia 9/11 to get where i want. Talk about overkill to geat the sounds i want for my amateur stream! lol If you have the time it would be awesome if you could help me to get a good sounding preset.

Thanks

The Omnia9 is based on the Breakaway software. Both were designed by Claesson Edward - he now works for Omnia. You can get his software for free...I think? I have played with the software and it can roar! Wall to wall loud or soft and gentle! Best part is, like Bob Orban, he hides most of the dangerous controls...especially the "sux" control! I would try that and see if you get the sound you desire.
Stereo Toll is also free and can do the same thing. This software, however, allows you to really muck up your audio. (The "sux" control is accessible....)
Either package is worth trying since they're free.
BTW...the 1100 card will get real loud. Call Orban and ask for some setting before dismissing it as a solution. Bob and Greg have four of the best ears in the business...

The Omnia9 is based on the Breakaway software. Both were designed by Claesson Edward - he now works for Omnia. You can get his software for free...I think? I have played with the software and it can roar! Wall to wall loud or soft and gentle! Best part is, like Bob Orban, he hides most of the dangerous controls...especially the "sux" control! I would try that and see if you get the sound you desire.
Stereo Toll is also free and can do the same thing. This software, however, allows you to really muck up your audio. (The "sux" control is accessible....)
Either package is worth trying since they're free.
BTW...the 1100 card will get real loud. Call Orban and ask for some setting before dismissing it as a solution. Bob and Greg have four of the best ears in the business...

Yes i know claes he's swedish like me :) Breakaway is fantastic for being a software at a such a low price. The omnia 9 is based on breakaway but there must be some major differenses because of the price. I really dont think they can be compared.

I have already sold my 1100 card. Over all im pretty satisfied with my dspx. I think i got it louder then i got the 1100 but the sound quality was better in the 1100.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Omnia One compared to the dspx hd?

Yes i know claes he's swedish like me :) Breakaway is fantastic for being a software at a such a low price. The omnia 9 is based on breakaway but there must be some major differenses because of the price. I really dont think they can be compared.

I have already sold my 1100 card. Over all im pretty satisfied with my dspx. I think i got it louder then i got the 1100 but the sound quality was better in the 1100.

Anyone have any thoughts about the Omnia One compared to the dspx hd?

I use an Omnia One for streaming at one of my stations. It sounds great but I'm not shooting for wall of sound loudness as it is for a non commercial station. But I like the One...it's musical.

Maybe someone from Omnia will chime in here regarding the Omnia 9 versus the Breakaway processor. Keep in mind the 9 has a stereo generator along with chassis/power supply, none of which you need for streaming. Getting ultimate loudness is not possible without clipping and you don't want to do that on a digital stream. That clipped loud may be the sound you're looking for...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom