Mark Thompson Leaves KFI - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Mark Thompson Leaves KFI

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    92
    Ziegler did a national (20 stations) show with his newsreader Leah Brandon up until December 19th. Leah quit last November.
    Last edited by mohawk82; 03-07-2017 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #12

    Never gonna happen

    Quote Originally Posted by TeaPartyDude View Post
    I wish they would bring back Ziegler. I know he ruffled a few feathers but he was a breath of fresh air on rather stale lineup.
    After what Ziegler did to John and Ken with the diatribe that he wrote against them, KFI would never take him back.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    S. CA
    Posts
    176
    Funny how I never heard anyone at KFI deny that the things he said were not true. Seems they were more embarrassed that someone aired their dirty laundry.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaPartyDude View Post
    Funny how I never heard anyone at KFI deny that the things he said were not true. Seems they were more embarrassed that someone aired their dirty laundry.
    I thought Ziegler was a great host and really embodied the "more stimulating" moniker of the old KFI (I say "old" because after the Whitney Houston thing, the whole station has been neutered and isn't really much more interesting than KABC). The problem with Ziegler is that he is a little deficient in the "How to Win Friends and Influence People" department, which sooner or later (generally sooner) gets him kicked out of wherever he is at.

    At KFI, he made the mistake of directly insulting/confronting another personality on the station. Just happened to be the station's big afternoon drive stars, but it would have been inappropriate even if he did it to a part-time weekender. A better approach would have been to make his positions known in a more subtle, less direct way, never mentioning the other hosts by name. For example, making his accusation by saying "some people would have you believe..." and just letting the listener figure it out. KFI listeners are smart and would have known to what issues and hosts he was referring. At least that would save his job, at best it would spark a bit of an on air feud where the other host(s), in this case J & K, might respond in kind, perhaps generating a drawn out back and forth which would drive controversy and encourage the audience to tune in both shows.
    Last edited by ChannelFlipper; 03-10-2017 at 12:56 AM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    S. CA
    Posts
    176
    I agree that tact is not one of John Z's strong points, but I think KFI missed a great marketing opportunity when they prematurely canned him. I think the listeners you would have really enjoyed good strong give-and-take slugfest between on air radio hosts. Think of how many new listeners tune in to the station just to find out which host was delivering the most effective blows

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaPartyDude View Post
    I agree that tact is not one of John Z's strong points, but I think KFI missed a great marketing opportunity when they prematurely canned him. I think the listeners you would have really enjoyed good strong give-and-take slugfest between on air radio hosts. Think of how many new listeners tune in to the station just to find out which host was delivering the most effective blows
    I don't know if the audio of this is still out there somewhere, but it was on Ziegler's therealkfi.com: Ziegler does a short promo for his show on J&K that includes insulting language about John Kobylt and Kobylt reacts by screaming at him to "get the hell out of my studio". (The promo was something like, "We'll be talking about how someone as intelligent as John Kobylt could have his head up his ass about Iraq.") It seems that Ziegler had really been getting under Kobylt's skin about the latter turning against the Iraq War. Ziegler is, as Kobylt might say, a "Kool-Aid drinking right winger", and it seems he couldn't leave well enough alone with his colleague on this particular issue, he had to keep poking the stick at the caged bear.

    I get the sense that Kobylt didn't like Ziegler even before the Iraq controversy, that he wasn't interested in debating the issue any further (Ziegler had written on his site about his off-air attempts to proselytize him about how the war was still a noble cause even if no WMDs were found), and so that insulting promo was the last straw.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by SimiRadioListener26 View Post
    I don't know if the audio of this is still out there somewhere, but it was on Ziegler's therealkfi.com: Ziegler does a short promo for his show on J&K that includes insulting language about John Kobylt and Kobylt reacts by screaming at him to "get the hell out of my studio". (The promo was something like, "We'll be talking about how someone as intelligent as John Kobylt could have his head up his ass about Iraq.") It seems that Ziegler had really been getting under Kobylt's skin about the latter turning against the Iraq War. Ziegler is, as Kobylt might say, a "Kool-Aid drinking right winger", and it seems he couldn't leave well enough alone with his colleague on this particular issue, he had to keep poking the stick at the caged bear.

    I get the sense that Kobylt didn't like Ziegler even before the Iraq controversy, that he wasn't interested in debating the issue any further (Ziegler had written on his site about his off-air attempts to proselytize him about how the war was still a noble cause even if no WMDs were found), and so that insulting promo was the last straw.
    During his last few months at KFI Ziegler was doing his show from a small studio away from J &K so that they did not see each other.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    S. CA
    Posts
    176
    Simiradio, it is that type of on air in studio tension that would bring in listeners by the drove. The listeners want to hear hosts debating major issues from different viewpoints. Remember "Point-Counter Point from the old 60 Minutes? I sense the listeners are tiring of boring host drone on in unison about the same old issues. Blah, blah, blah!

    I say let's bring John Z back in the slot that is currently wasted on Conway Jr.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaPartyDude View Post
    Simiradio, it is that type of on air in studio tension that would bring in listeners by the drove. The listeners want to hear hosts debating major issues from different viewpoints. Remember "Point-Counter Point from the old 60 Minutes? I sense the listeners are tiring of boring host drone on in unison about the same old issues. Blah, blah, blah!

    I say let's bring John Z back in the slot that is currently wasted on Conway Jr.
    I don't remember anyone on 60 Minutes telling the other guy he had his head up his ass. My point is when you insult people like that, on the air no less, they're never going to want to work in the same building with you again.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by SimiRadioListener26 View Post
    I don't remember anyone on 60 Minutes telling the other guy he had his head up his ass. My point is when you insult people like that, on the air no less, they're never going to want to work in the same building with you again.
    James Kilpatrick could be pretty caustic, though I don't think he ever used the "a" word. And the Dan Aykroyd/Jane Curtin parody of Point/Counterpoint on SNL was all insults. I seem to recall "Jane, you ignorant slut..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us