• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

USGA, R&A propose sweeping changes to golf rules in effort to simplify game

Sweeping changes could be coming to a golf course near you.

The U.S. Golf Association — which governs the rules of golf for the U.S. and Mexico — and the R&A — which governs the rest of the world — announced changes Wednesday morning that would simplify and reduce the number of main rules and definitions from 34 to 24. The governing bodies will allow for a six-month comment period with a proposed implementation date of Jan. 1, 2019.

Among the changes:

--A player will not receive a penalty if the ball (or ball marker) accidentally moves on the putting green or in search of a ball.
--Players can leave the flagstick in the hole while putting.
--Players may repair spike marks or other damage on the green with no penalty.
--Caddies will no longer be able to line up a player. This will be a big change on the LPGA tour, where many players have their caddies line them up before stepping away just before the player makes a swing.
--Players who have trouble in bunkers could get relief. If you want, you can remove your ball from a bunker (and place it in the fairway or rough behind the bunker, depending on where the bunker is) and accept a two-stroke penalty.
--A new procedure for how to drop a ball in a relief area.
--Time searching for a lost ball would go from five minutes to three.
--There's a proposal calling for players to take no more than 40 seconds to play their shot.

Golfers are encouraged to review the proposed changes and submit comment via www.usga.org/rules or www.randa.org. Both organizations will accept information through Aug. 31.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...36/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-clLjgkjMHq8JaZgEedjckw

I have another suggestion. Require golfers to carry their own clubs and sprint from one hole to the next. Then golf could be considered a real sport instead of a leisurely pastime.

Once this rule is in place it might be required for course officials to remove heart attack victims within a certain period of time so as not to provide following foursomes with unnatural obstacles.

New rules of golf, I have a few ideas to make it more interesting (and I’m a golf fan)
Fans should cheer for a birdie or eagle, only polite golf applause for a par, fans can grumble at a bogey and fans are expected to boo for a double bogey.
Also, any player with a double bogey is required to carry the other players clubs to the next hole.
And,, most important of all, any fan that yells “Its in the hole”, or “baba booey” or any other type of stupid shout, should be thrown into a lake full of alligators,,,, this would put a stop to that childishness in a couple of weeks.

Any other ideas?

Most of these rules make sense, but I why change having the caddy line up the ball?

The popularity of the sport is on the decline. It's not going anywhere, but viewership and participation will ebb and the value of broadcast rights will erode to some degree. It's an expensive hobby that doesn't lend itself well to family participation. Further, even more corporations are not subsidizing participation in the sport for business reasons. I see it reverting more to the level of participation it had in the 50s and 60s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom