• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

a, uh, funny thing happened on the way to 92.3's "roast" of...

indieradioguy

Leading Participant
I don't know anyone (who doesn't work in local media) who knows who this "Gerald" guy is. There's ZERO name recognition. Might the suits at Bonneville have given a little thought as to why they're actively promoting the roast of a guy who they ostensibly kicked off their airwaves after all he did for them?

It's just cringe-worthy whenever I hear that spot. Absolutely cringe-worthy.

Most people know who Detour Dan is, and who Jaime West is, but they're really the only non-Ramsey "names" at the station who most people would recognize anymore. "Gerald"? Pat? No clue.

I don't know anyone (who doesn't work in local media) who knows who this "Gerald" guy is. There's ZERO name recognition. Might the suits at Bonneville have given a little thought as to why they're actively promoting the roast of a guy who they ostensibly kicked off their airwaves after all he did for them?

It's just cringe-worthy whenever I hear that spot. Absolutely cringe-worthy.

Most people know who Detour Dan is, and who Jaime West is, but they're really the only non-Ramsey "names" at the station who most people would recognize anymore. "Gerald"? Pat? No clue.

Most of us "of a certain age" know who Gerald is. Those too young to remember him probably don't listen to KTAR to begin with.

Most of us "of a certain age" know who Gerald is. Those too young to remember him probably don't listen to KTAR to begin with.

Amen. Unless you moved to Phoenix last week, chances are you not only know who Gerald is, you drug your parents out to Chris Town or Encanto Park or Legend City to see him perform when you were 6.

92.3 really doesn't program for those "of a certain age" anymore. It has become soccer mom lifestyle radio with parenting tips for the younger demos book-ended with beans and rice radio -- only exception of late being Krazy Kid's show that (well, here's a novel idea) does frequently take on-air listener calls. I guess my point is: 92.3 wants to have its cake and eat it, too.

It was Darrell Ankarlo who replaced Pat McBland shortly after KT'R migrated to FM. And who remembers Aunt Carlos' show being banned on ASU shuttle buses? Ho-ho, ha-ha, hee-hee!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom