101.9 KQES-LP: It's back!

Thread: 101.9 KQES-LP: It's back!

101.9 KQES-LP: It's back!

Caught it this afternoon seemingly doing some testing. Audio levels all over the place, ranging from low to really low and occasionally garbled. Still in Chinese, but even I could tell it was choppy. RDS doing the "PSNAME01" then to 02, etc. Power might have been set to the correct level but it's hard to tell for sure if the coverage area is actually reduced.

Wonder if they will file to cover?

Val

Quote Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
    Caught it this afternoon seemingly doing some testing. Audio levels all over the place, ranging from low to really low and occasionally garbled. Still in Chinese, but even I could tell it was choppy. RDS doing the "PSNAME01" then to 02, etc. Power might have been set to the correct level but it's hard to tell for sure if the coverage area is actually reduced.

Val
    I would hope not. But ever since the Bellevue FCC office closed, I'm surprised we don't have a pirate radio epidemic already because that's the only message leaving "F*** Donald Trump" on repeat 24/7 for a whole week sends.

And does the FCC compensate the engineers triangulating these signals and taking down the information/pics? Or at least for the gas money and lunch in doing it?
    They spy on you through your microwave because they know it's the only place you can't put tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    And does the FCC compensate the engineers triangulating these signals and taking down the information/pics? Or at least for the gas money and lunch in doing it?
    Absolutely no. There are federal rules prohibiting anything like that. Finding and reporting a pirate, or turning in an LPFM for broadcasting obscenity amounts to whistle-blowing to the government.

My notes on the return of the tree station:

1) Signal seems the same. I judge this on the fact that I live at the very fringe of their previous (FDT) signal, and indeed in my driveway east of Woodinville I still hear them at about the same clarity. Listened to them all the way from North Redmond/Education Hill to Renton Landing.
    2) Audio drops out suddenly and gradually comes back a few seconds later. Many examples of what sounds like digital skip, like when your CD player is having problems. Also kept repeating the same audio over and over.
    3) Do these guys have a license? I know they have a CP.
    4) Heard what sure SOUNDED like a commercial. WHich is, like, not supposed to happen on an LPFM.
    5) Never heard a Legal ID. Shocking.

What a dumpster fire.
    4)

My notes on the return of the tree station:

1) Signal seems the same. I judge this on the fact that I live at the very fringe of their previous (FDT) signal, and indeed in my driveway east of Woodinville I still hear them at about the same clarity. Listened to them all the way from North Redmond/Education Hill to Renton Landing.
    2) Audio drops out suddenly and gradually comes back a few seconds later. Many examples of what sounds like digital skip, like when your CD player is having problems. Also kept repeating the same audio over and over.
    3) Do these guys have a license? I know they have a CP.
    4) Heard what sure SOUNDED like a commercial. Which is, like, not supposed to happen on an LPFM.
    5) Never heard a Legal ID. Shocking.

What a dumpster fire.

Answering #3...nope, no license to cover or any applications of the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Kh7nLplWo

I think Bugs sums it up nicely...

Radio-X
    Proud to still be the least important paid worker in the Seattle/Tacoma media industry!

Not for use in MD, CT, NY, Cook County IL, HI, UT, PR, and where otherwise prohibited by law

Quote Originally Posted by valvashon View Post

Val
    Val,

They were still on the air yesterday but off today (March 15th). Not sure what time the broadcast ceased but what a relief. This station has no business being authorized to broadcast. I'd rather see an unlicensed station with local content using the airwaves than the crap transmitted from this station to date!

Get this turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by 98052_radio View Post
    Val,

They were still on the air yesterday but off today (March 15th). Not sure what time the broadcast ceased but what a relief. This station has no business being authorized to broadcast. I'd rather see an unlicensed station with local content using the airwaves than the crap transmitted from this station to date!
    Well, the station was back on the air this morning. Same "digital skip" programming / streaming. It sounds awful. Too bad there is virtually no enforcement anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 98052_radio View Post
    Well, the station was back on the air this morning. Same "digital skip" programming / streaming. It sounds awful. Too bad there is virtually no enforcement anymore.
    Call the FCC 1-888-225-5322 or https://www.fcc.gov/enforcement. They depend on reports from the field - not policing for issues.

One reason why to not take programming directly from an Internet stream, unless you download each program to air and run it off a hard drive using free automation software. Either that or get a cheap Ku-Band dish and receiver and just have the aforementioned automation software run a station ID at the top of the hour (are they even running an ID?).
    DX'er, and former master control operator at KBTC-TV and KCPQ-TV.