• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Shack going "toes up" again

The last Radio Shack store in Jackson, TN closed during the bankruptcy a few years back, but the store in Dyersburg with Sprint had still been open until recently. I really don't know why it was open because Sprint doesn't have very good coverage there.

I went inside a store that is still called Radio Shack to ask about the music I was hearing outside. The man working there said he liked jazz and it was Boney James.

Or Chris Botti. But I passed the local store several times yesterday and liked what I heard. But I didn't go inside until I had been walking and shopping for more than an hour. I asked and he told me and said, "GOOD jazz." I asked how long he had been playing and the man said maybe since he was a kid. No, I meant today. Oh, all day. The man didn't make a sale to me, though. I don't know if he had Boney James or Chris Botti to sell me.

Sad to hear. I still use the Realistic clock radio my grandmother purchased for me as a Christmas present my first year in college.

I have several Realistic tape cassettes. I was afraid they didn't work but it was the Radio Shack tape recorder that was the problem. A cheap tape recorder from Kmart worked just fine.

I don't know how, but it would be neat to make the recordings on those cassettes available to others here. I sent one (another brand, probably from another store) to another member of this site because it had samples of a radio meteorologist from his area, but he never posted.

The Radio Shack in Manistee closed during the bankruptcy, but the one in Ludington remained open for a little while until Sprint opened a (separate) store there.

I thought Sprint and Dish network were working together as a team these days?
Why are the Radio shack stores not working out like the Source stores in Canada?
Maybe Radio shack should model after the Source's idea of a successful business?

Note: Source stores in Canada are owned by Bell Canada, which owns Bell mobility, Bell Fibe (a competitor to Cable TV, no dish needed) and Bell landlines, while also making effort to continue selling TV's, computers, etc

The only one thing I might have done different if it were up to me is to merge the Bell world stores together with the Source stores to be one.

I'm merely guessing Sprint could do the same if there are dish stores or any other "complimenting" businesses that could merge...???

I wonder what this means for the franchised Radio Shacks. If any franchised Radio Shack is successful, will they need to rename themselves in order to stay open?

Also, I consider R.S. as the only place to get NOAA Weather Radios, so where can I get those now?

I can buy NOAA weather radios lots of places. I see them on display this time of year in Walgreens and various grocery stores. Probably Wal-Mart too, but I rarely go into the electronics department there.

I can buy NOAA weather radios lots of places. I see them on display this time of year in Walgreens and various grocery stores. Probably Wal-Mart too, but I rarely go into the electronics department there.

True but it's a regional thing. For example here in Denver our biggest grocery chain is King Soopers ( owned by Kroger ) and they don't carry NOAA weather radios because they made a deal with KUSA 9 News and their weather people. Dittos with Safeway with KDVR FOX 31. I think Target is with KMGH but I don't shop there. I have been looking for a NOAA radio for years and one of my pet peeves is being told I should download the KUSA ( or KDVR's ) weather app instead.

I went into a Radio Shack about to close yesterday and just about everything had been picked over. I think they'll all be gone by July. Really sad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom