Fake News From The Kimmer
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fake News From The Kimmer

  1. #1

    Fake News From The Kimmer

    I sometimes listen to the replay of The Kimmer as I am nodding off at night. His "Newsmaker Line" guy, Jim Gossett, keeps suggesting that having worked for Cox makes people heavy favorites to get into the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame. I've been close enough to that organization to know that's completely untrue. The truth is a lot of people in Georgia have worked for Cox, and the number of them in the GRHOF reflects that. But whether someone worked for Cox has absolutely nothing to do with being inducted.

    I wonder if Mr. Peterson is, well, not happy that he has not been inducted. After someone is nominated, winning induction takes a ton of work on the nominee's part to get on the ballot. Everyone who was inducted has done that work.

  2. #2
    Thank you Roddy.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The ATL, OTP
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    I sometimes listen to the replay of The Kimmer as I am nodding off at night. His "Newsmaker Line" guy, Jim Gossett, keeps suggesting that having worked for Cox makes people heavy favorites to get into the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame. I've been close enough to that organization to know that's completely untrue. The truth is a lot of people in Georgia have worked for Cox, and the number of them in the GRHOF reflects that. But whether someone worked for Cox has absolutely nothing to do with being inducted.

    I wonder if Mr. Peterson is, well, not happy that he has not been inducted. After someone is nominated, winning induction takes a ton of work on the nominee's part to get on the ballot. Everyone who was inducted has done that work.
    The only other person I hear complaining about the GRHOF is Southside Steve Rickman. He got nominated; did he think that he was a shoo-in at that point and didn't have to promote himself, or did he truly get snubbed? He certainly has the credentials.

    Re: Kimmer, this could be another manifestation of his ongoing hatred of Cox. But is bashing the GRHOF really a good way to do that?
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

  4. #4
    Someone I know was nominated twice, the second time by me. He sent me an incredible number of articles, pictures, promo pieces and airchecks, which I sent to the GRHOF. Putting everything together took a tremendous amount of work.

    The first time he was nominated, he didn't make it onto the ballot. But the second time, he did the work necessary to get on the ballot, and it paid off.

  5. #5
    Jabba, in response to your second comment, you could be right. The Kimmer might funnel his anger through Jim Gossett. Around a year ago, a WSB personality criticized Peterson for making fun of other WSB talent (namely Herman Cain and Belinda). In retaliation, Jim Gossett (on the Newsmaker Line) turned this WSB personality into a gay man, which he is not. It's off the wall, and not the least bit cleaver or funny.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The ATL, OTP
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    Jabba, in response to your second comment, you could be right. The Kimmer might funnel his anger through Jim Gossett. Around a year ago, a WSB personality criticized Peterson for making fun of other WSB talent (namely Herman Cain and Belinda). In retaliation, Jim Gossett (on the Newsmaker Line) turned this WSB personality into a gay man, which he is not. It's off the wall, and not the least bit cleaver or funny.
    Kimmer bashed WSB back when he was on WGST in the 90s. "We Suck and Blither", "We Be Cox", etc. But it was subtle and sneaky and done in passing, not unlike Boortz* referring to WGST as the "Ex-Wife". What he is doing now is definitely bush league--and I like the Kimmer. It was clever when he worked it in every now and then in passing back in the 90s. Now he's just making a racket grinding an ax.

    Is the Kimmer Show really the WYAY daypart with the best ratings, as he often insinuates?

    I didn't listen to him when he was on WSB (that would have been over 25 years ago!), so I don't know how that firing went down, but it's interesting that he bashes WSB/Cox and never WGST/iHeartClearChannel. I thought his firing at the Building of Death was certainly bash-worthy, as was most of what Clear Channel was doing in ATL around that time.

    *To be fair, Boortz sometimes referred to the Kimmer as "The Rimmer". But, since it's unbecoming to punch down on someone below you, he didn't do it much.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

  7. #7
    Actually, the Kimmer pulls in good ratings for a station that desperately needs it.

  8. #8
    I never cared much for his talk show but I remember him as an excellent reporter and on air newscaster when at WSB.
    WSB is a historic radio station! Is it any wonder that many hall of fame inductees worked there?
    Be honest...if you work in the business...would you really turn down an opportunity to work at Cox/WSB?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    I never cared much for his talk show but I remember him as an excellent reporter and on air newscaster when at WSB.
    WSB is a historic radio station! Is it any wonder that many hall of fame inductees worked there?
    Be honest...if you work in the business...would you really turn down an opportunity to work at Cox/WSB?
    Historic and legendary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us