• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WIRJ (Humboldt, TN)

A spin through the AM band while out and about in the area recently found WIRJ 740 in Humboldt off-the-air. I noticed the same thing a week or two ago. It appears they're still licensed, so it may just be temporary.

I think they've been on and off lately, but they're on today. WJPJ 1190 in Humboldt had also been off at times recently. For a while they had been playing classic country but now they're back to classic hits. Both Humboldt stations sound like they're running automated with nobody paying attention to when there are problems.

And it's back on again today. WJPJ 1190 was off again, but that may be temporary, and WPOT 1500 in Trenton appears to be off again.

WTNE has new call letters? What was their last format?

They had been simulcasting 1190 and the call letters were changed to WPOT. It was a couple of years back but it's off now. Also, 1190 being off was apparently temporary and they were back on later in the day.

I still believe 1190, 740, and also WCTA 810 in Alamo are totally automated and nobody in charge is paying attention to when things are off.

WIRJ is off again, and has been for about a month.

When I last heard them, they were playing a country/western format. About every three or so songs, there was a quick tag about getting the Stringray (or whatever service it was) app for your music. WIRJ is owned by the Warmath family, who also owns the cable television and internet company in Humboldt known as Infostructure/Click1. I don't know the provider for their cable music channels, but wouldn't if be interesting if it was the same, and they simply had a cable set-top box plugged in to feed the audio for WIRJ.

There hasn't been a commercial on WIRJ in years, much less a legal ID. They used to have an automated ID around the top of every hour, but I haven't heard that in several years.

I'd think an FCC fine in 2007 and an FCC fine in 2011 would be encouragement to keep a station legal and on the air. However, WIRJ in Humboldt hasn't been on the air in months. If it's been on at all in 2019, it's been very little and was at the beginning of the year. The license status is currently active. However, the license will expire 08/01/2020 unless renewed.

I'd say the same thing I said about WCTA in Alamo. Just let it go silent if they can't or won't sell to someone that will actually do something with it

I've wondered if someone could buy both WIRJ and WCTA and move in FM translators to do something.

I'm willing to wager these stations have some moderate to serious technical issues, that combined with the cost of fm translator build out would probably be cost prohibitive.

Now, if I won the lottery, WIRJ would be the station id buy as a play toy.. one tower, low electricity bill

WIRJ's license is set to expire on 08/01/2020, just a month from when I'm writing this.
I don't think the station has been on at all this year, or even last year.
After 71 years in Humboldt, could this be it?

It's been over for WIRJ for several years now. I haven't heard anything in 740 in a long time, not even the sporadic broadcasts like WCTC in Alamo has been doing.

Another question: How long does 1500 in Trenton have before its license expires? They haven't been on in at least a year.

It looks like WPOT 1500 in Trenton is owned by Grace Broadcasting Services, Inc. and also has an expiration date of 08/01/2020.

It's been over for WIRJ for several years now. I haven't heard anything in 740 in a long time, not even the sporadic broadcasts like WCTC in Alamo has been doing.
Another question: How long does 1500 in Trenton have before its license expires? They haven't been on in at least a year.
It looks like WPOT 1500 in Trnton is owned by Grace Broadcasting Services, Inc. and also has an expiration date of 08/01/2020.
Looks like we may be losing a number of stations in the weststsate soon!

I remember a guy back in college who had worked for the Trenton station back when it was WTNE.

And I remember that I used to listen to "Powerline" on WIRJ, because I could hear it on Saturdays there.

Memories!

The "must file license renewal application date" for radio in Tennessee has passed, as it was April 1st, 2020. The "license expiration date" for radio in Tennessee is August 1st, 2020.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom