• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will be the new format for WRCA?

It has been a while since I read up on this, and I forget if the FCC uses DMA the bigger (SMA?) area to determine ownership, and since Entercom owns a FM with a Worcester C.O.L. , and a station in Springfield, as well as others , the question is if they can keep the maximum amount of stations 5 FM's, 3 AM's iirc, AND stay below the 40% market share for revenue, and what stations are considered in the area the FCC uses in determining things.... Springfield probably doesn't factor into the equation, Worcester might.

If the 2 Sports talkers are controlling 20+% of the revenue, and the max is 40, that leaves 3 AM's a 3 FM's that will be limited to less than 20%, and maybe closer to 15% of the total revenue pie.

Assume WRKO and WBZ bill well , WBMX , WODS are in a prime demo and are rumored to do OK, WEEI AM... for what that is billing you keep that if you have to toss an FM , WAAF and WKAF ..... dump them

It is quite the equation to balance out, and without knowing market share it is hard to sit here as a wanna be radio guy and figure it out.

Is Entercom/CBS going to move formats and calls around to get the best signal coverage, then dump the leftovers?
It is not unheard of, WBMX went to 104.1, WBCN died, and WBZ FM was created...

IMHO the revenue issue is more pressing than maxing out the number of stations allowed in the market.

I'm willing to bet that Bloomberg is paying to be on WRCA. I thought they were paying I-Heart to be on AM 1200.

Oh for sure! It's more leased time-radio.

That's why they can get away with running TV audio as a radio program. (YEck!)

Well Wimmmmex, Beasley is certainly not thinking like a listener with such a typical gutless corporate move.

You expected them to extend themselves gambling and not go for the "sure thing"?

WEll, we have been discussion format options here for 1330/106.1 for the last few months...and this oslves all the issues people put forth.

Concern about it not making any money? resolved.

A format that is not duplicated? resolved

A format that doesn't take away from Beasley's other audience/revenues? resolved.

A format that doesn't require extra payroll? resolved.

A format that makes reasonable use of the 1330AM signal? (which is pretty good I might add). resolved.

A strong FM signal that can be heard downtown in the financial district? resolved.

What other format could they have chosen that would have been a better fit? (I know, I would have liked another music choice on FM as well.)

They could have at least tried Mainstream Urban with an inner city signal like that.

And make money.......How?

You expected them to extend themselves gambling and not go for the "sure thing"?

WEll, we have been discussion format options here for 1330/106.1 for the last few months...and this oslves all the issues people put forth.

Concern about it not making any money? resolved.

A format that is not duplicated? resolved

A format that doesn't take away from Beasley's other audience/revenues? resolved.

A format that doesn't require extra payroll? resolved.

A format that makes reasonable use of the 1330AM signal? (which is pretty good I might add). resolved.

A strong FM signal that can be heard downtown in the financial district? resolved.

What other format could they have chosen that would have been a better fit? (I know, I would have liked another music choice on FM as well.)

And make money.......How?

Yup...Concern about not making money. Resolved.

It has been a while since I read up on this, and I forget if the FCC uses DMA the bigger (SMA?) area to determine ownership, and since Entercom owns a FM with a Worcester C.O.L. , and a station in Springfield, as well as others , the question is if they can keep the maximum amount of stations 5 FM's, 3 AM's iirc, AND stay below the 40% market share for revenue, and what stations are considered in the area the FCC uses in determining things.... Springfield probably doesn't factor into the equation, Worcester might.

If the 2 Sports talkers are controlling 20+% of the revenue, and the max is 40, that leaves 3 AM's a 3 FM's that will be limited to less than 20%, and maybe closer to 15% of the total revenue pie.

Assume WRKO and WBZ bill well , WBMX , WODS are in a prime demo and are rumored to do OK, WEEI AM... for what that is billing you keep that if you have to toss an FM , WAAF and WKAF ..... dump them

It is quite the equation to balance out, and without knowing market share it is hard to sit here as a wanna be radio guy and figure it out.

Is Entercom/CBS going to move formats and calls around to get the best signal coverage, then dump the leftovers?
It is not unheard of, WBMX went to 104.1, WBCN died, and WBZ FM was created...

IMHO the revenue issue is more pressing than maxing out the number of stations allowed in the market.

Entercom may put good formats on the signals Entercom wishes to keep, although I'm not sure what formats would go to which signal.

I thought 94.9 is the Zumix LP FM......?

94.9 is Zumix (WZMR-LP) in East Boston with 71 watts.

The Mega translator on 94.9 will be licensed to Dedham, transmitting from Ashland with 27 watts. It will mainly serve the Metro-West (Framingham area) and Boston southwest suburbs.

The primary coverage areas of both signals will not interfere with one another. Their fringes may meet a bit in the suburbs just west of Boston and in the westernmost Boston neighborhoods.

WAMG's 94.9 in Ashland is now on the air. It came on a month or 2 ago.

Thanks for the info about WAMG's translator. I asked a DJ I know at La Mega in Hartford (their sister station) and he didn't know and neither did his boss.

Wow! I see La Mega Boston's translator is on a crowded frequency just like La Mega Hartford.

In Connecticut:
W269DE New Britain "La Mega//WLAT 910" - 27 watts
W269DB Milford, CT "Life Changing Radio//WFIF 1500" - 92 watts - CP
WCFV-LP Willimantic, CT - Religious - 11 watts
WOGS-LP South Windsor, CT - 3.02 watts - CP

Last edited:
It was to go on for 90 days after the debut on 1330 and 106.1, which happened July 4. "A couple months" then "90 days" was what was said.

They REALLY NEED to somehow improve their signals. Maybe upgrade 92.9 hd2, and, or 106.1.
94.5 hd2 comes in fine in Boxborough, but the other signals are unlistenable

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom