What will be the new format for WRCA? - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What will be the new format for WRCA?

Eli hit it on the head, to use a HD4 you have to give up something on your HD1,2, or 3 and by the time you get to what you have clawed out for a HD4, not only have you compromised the others, but you have so little bandwidth there is no way you are going to get anything out of it, outside of spoken word.... forget music....

Not to mention if you're running Artist Experience (album art for radios so equipped) or traffic data for Garmin and some car manufacturer's in-dash gear, you're really squeezed for bandwidth. Given that a lot of new in-dash systems today support HD, you want to make your HD1 pop as much as possible (because that's what people actually listen to), so there's no rational reason to take bandwidth away from there, especially for some slapdash HD4 silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    Not to mention if you're running Artist Experience (album art for radios so equipped) or traffic data for Garmin and some car manufacturer's in-dash gear, you're really squeezed for bandwidth. Given that a lot of new in-dash systems today support HD, you want to make your HD1 pop as much as possible (because that's what people actually listen to), so there's no rational reason to take bandwidth away from there, especially for some slapdash HD4 silliness.
    My 2016 Rav4 has HD derived traffic, I think the weather is also HD fed, and I use many HD1 and HD2's ..... and occasionally the HD3 from 93.7 to get WRKO static free.

RDS also gets figured in here somewhere as something that takes a small bit of allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    My 2016 Rav4 has HD derived traffic, I think the weather is also HD fed, and I use many HD1 and HD2's ..... and occasionally the HD3 from 93.7 to get WRKO static free.
    I have an HD radio in my 2017, be damned if I can figure out how it works. Maybe some day I'll read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    ..... and occasionally the HD3 from 93.7 to get WRKO static free.
    Apparently the slapdash silliness isn't restricted to HD4s...

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I have an HD radio in my 2017, be damned if I can figure out how it works. Maybe some day I'll read the manual.
    The manual for my "radio" runs 400 pages. Short of making coffee, or having a CD player, it does quite a bit.
    Anyone else p*ssed off that they go into their favorite music story, buy the 50th Anniversary Sgt. Pepper CD, and can't run out to the car and play it because the manufacturers have declared CD's dead?

I have to rip it to MP3, store it on my phone or a thumb drive to listen to it ... Grrrr

Apparently the slapdash silliness isn't restricted to HD4s...
    A valid point... the Kuhner Man sounds even worse on FM... I'll hold my tongue on the rest of the lineup

I think WRKO is on 93.7 HD2.WAAF is on 93.7 HD3

1330 AM is off. 106.1 and 96.9 HD2 are on. Are they still doing transmitter tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy128 View Post
    1330 AM is off. 106.1 and 96.9 HD2 are on. Are they still doing transmitter tests?

1330 just got turned on again.....never mind.

It was off for a few hours.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112