• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will be the new format for WRCA?

Casting my vote for urban.

No. No. No.

You've got 94.5
You've got 96.9 which plays a mix of Throwback Hip-Hop/R&B and new Hip-Hop/R&B
You've got 97.7 which plays R&B music from the past 20 or so years.
You've got 1410 AM which plays R&B Oldies.
And if 103.3 and 107.9 are like other CHR stations I've heard they probably mix in some Hip-Hop and R&B.

No. No. No.

You've got 94.5
You've got 96.9 which plays a mix of Throwback Hip-Hop/R&B and new Hip-Hop/R&B
You've got 97.7 which plays R&B music from the past 20 or so years.
You've got 1410 AM which plays R&B Oldies.
And if 103.3 and 107.9 are like other CHR stations I've heard they probably mix in some Hip-Hop and R&B.

Why doesn't Beasley just turn in the license for 1330 and its translator?

Yeah, I'd like to see a "true oldies" or even a smooth jazz station, but we all know neither of these is likely, and all the other formats are covered.

Beasley already has five full-market FMs to keep them busy.

Because they just paid almost a half-million dollars for it?

If Beasley did indeed pay half-a-million dollars for the translator, the bigger question is WHY? It's not like the programming options for 1330 AM are all that appealing.

Has anyone noticed (read, "does anyone care") now that Beasley has acquired 102.5, that 1330 AM and 102.5 FM were once the AM-FM pair that used to be WCRB, Waltham-Boston?

If Beasley did indeed pay half-a-million dollars for the translator,

Indeed? The wording was almost a half-million....$400k to be exact.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...ton-bound-fm-translator-to-beas#ixzz4ZNQyUIcH

the bigger question is WHY? It's not like the programming options for 1330 AM are all that appealing.

The am 1330 programming is irrelevant, history, gone....

They obviously have a plan (they wouldn't spend the money if they didn't), and the plan doesn't include the former incarnation of WRCA AM 1330.

They are playing it close to the vest.

Last edited:
1330 and 102.5 reunited.And with the ETM-CBS merger, 680 (if kept, as I think it will be) reunites with 98.5. The new company will be called Entercom but had it been called CBS it would mean CBS would have calls of WEEI and
WEEI-FM again though years ago EEI-FM was on 103.3 and the AM had been 590.

Indeed? The wording was almost a half-million....$400k to be exact.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...ton-bound-fm-translator-to-beas#ixzz4ZNQyUIcH

they paid Radio One 400K, toss in the legal fees, engineering study, internal manpower, etc and you can assume it was 500K, and if you want to stretch that out and count the loss of revenue for WRCA since they went dark in preparation for a new format .....

No matter what number you put on it, in a major market they have been off air for 3 months, and there is really no excuse for that.

There were rumors that there was already a spare studio in Dorchester that WrCA could have been in quickly, a STL is so easy these days they can't use that for an excuse. How long does it take to get a translator in place.... it fits in a shoe box for cripes sake.

If the split of WKAF from WAAF with the resulting format change caught them off guard, you'd think a company as large as Beasley could think on their feet and get something up and running to bring in revenue.

To be off the air on the AM side for this long is inexcusable.

Particularly given that they havenʼt changed their Morrissey Blvd studios signs, could they have a buyer in the wings for the whole Boston cluster—somehow, somewhere, with someone (perhaps precipitated by the CBS/Entercom deal?)? My confidence isnʼt that high on the possibility, just a suggested maybe.
What throws me, is that they put the AM on for just a few hours after Christmas, then disappeared—? They certainly still had plenty of time to show up on-air before the license was vulnerable!

Last edited:
Casting my vote for urban.

And by "urban" I am distinguishing from 97.7/1410 (Urbans, as in mainstream Urbans like WWPR target 18-34s), from 94.5 (a rhythmic, different from mainstream Urbans because the latter format focuses on Blacks where as rhythmically are racially diverse in their target), and 96.9 for both reasons.

Does it matter?

<snark alert!>

They probably have as many listeners now as they did when they were on the air. ;-)

Legitimate point. Considering that whatever Beasley puts on the FM will be a youth-oriented format designed to blow off whatever listeners the AM had, taking the AM dark won't hurt much. Yes, they could have had a platform to at least billboard the new format, if not soft-launch it on 1330. But launching it on AM and FM simultaneously, backed with an advertising campaign, should do at least as well to find an audience, if not better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom