• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are you more liberal or conservative?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
*Don't include inflammatory posts--just post what you believe.*

I am generally a right-leaning centrist--more of a mainstream Republican than the new wave of Republicans. What about you?

*Don't include inflammatory posts--just post what you believe.*

I am generally a right-leaning centrist--more of a mainstream Republican than the new wave of Republicans. What about you?

I have seen in our industry the effect of both being in a for-profit industry that focuses on the large mass of the general public political attitudes that are fiscally conservative but socially progressive. That, is of course, a definition of either an independent or a libertarian.

What, in reality, would you call someone who favors the outcome of Rowe vs. Wade, agrees with permanency for Dreamers but who wants a balanced budget, incentives for business and a strong military.

There is a stereotype that radio people buy into the stuff we hear on talk radio; the truth is that we believe in the money such formats can make. I think reality is much further towards progressive social positions... and that works for me.

Liberal on most, but not all, issues. Pro-abortion rights, for example, but also pro-Second Amendment. Pro-public education, anti-dumbing down of curriculum. Etc., etc. I don't think liberals march in lockstep as well as conservatives do, for some reason. That may be why getting Democrats to agree on anything has often been compared to herding cats.

Last edited:
To the right of center and to the left of anarchy, same location as our Constitutional Republic was originally intended, founded and maintained.

Liberal on most, but not all, issues. Pro-abortion rights, for example, but also pro-Second Amendment. Pro-public education, anti-dumbing down of curriculum. Etc., etc. I don't think liberals march in lockstep as well as conservatives do, for some reason. That may be why getting Democrats to agree on anything has often been compared to herding cats.
Pro-lifer myself, and generally conservative, but where I differ from most other conservatives seems to be on the issue of term limits. I am not in favor of arbitrary term limits. Certainly, there are a number of career politicians on both sides of the aisle who could easily change my mind, but that is a risk that I am okay to live with.

Seems to me where Trump differs from most conservatives is that he is much more protectionist than most. He actually reminds me a lot of Pat Buchanan in that area. But Trump is a relative newcomer to Republican politics. He and other non-Tennesseans seemed to be in favor of Memphis-area congressman Harold Ford, Jr., becoming our next U.S. senator back in 2006 when he and Bob Corker ran for former senate majority leader Bill Frist's seat when Frist retired from the senate that year. But Frist term-limited himself to just two terms, and most of us knew that at the time.

I'd say I fall on the right of center more often than not but libertarian more than Republican without being extreme on either. I wanted Trump to win because he wasn't a politician (career-wise) and I felt, while neither party would truly embrace him, he'd attempt to govern from a business mind versus a political mind.

I love the comment of CTListener that there seems to be greater consensus among those on the right. It is almost like two marketing platforms: the conservative side based more on core values than issues while the liberal side looks more at issues than core values. Even so, I really don't seem to meet those that buy in completely on either side.

I am an independent. I support people who I think are sane like McCain, Obama, Kerry, Bernie Sanders, Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton for pragmatic solutions such as "Trust but Verify on Russia" most notably. Sanders, Obama and Clinton for domestic issues in the economy such as the Health Care, Social Services, unemployment rate and GDP.

I support Bush, Kerry, and McCain to be pragmatic on foreign policy.

Last edited:
Probably more libertarian. The 2016 Libertarian ticket should have been reversed, Bill Ward/Gary Johnson. Reject absolutism. Hoping the Republican Party implodes, taking most of us moderates into a larger and less Loony-Tune Libertarian party.

I support Bush, Kerry, and McCain to be pragmatic on foreign policy.

As one of McCain's constituents since 1994, I can tell you that he is only pragmatic when he is not up for reelection. Last year, like every other time his job was on the line, he was as loony-right as they come... until he won. I never have, and never will, vote for this joker for Dogcatcher, let alone Senator or President.

As for myself, I consider myself a libertarian-leaning centrist -- fiscally conservative and socially liberal -- but a hard-core no-party independent. In fact, I'd love to see all political parties Constitutionally outlawed via an amendment (yeah, I know, there's a better chance of the Browns beating the Lions in next year's Super Bowl). I told the GOP to go to hell in 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, added to the fact that the Republicans in Arizona are just as corrupt as the Democrats in Chicago.

I believe that, in case of any dispute, the wording of the Constitution must be the final word of the matter. That means, for example, that the 14th Amendment applies to all, including men who want to marry other men, and women who want to marry other women, as long as both are consenting adults. I also believe that if something is not specifically OK per the Constitution, a Federal law which passed Constitutional muster (despite all the mistakes SCOTUS has made through the years), and it doesn't cross state lines, the states should be left alone to make their own laws.

I am with KeithE4 (being a fellow Arizonan). Basically depends upon the issue whether I go left or right but we definitely need better choices than either major party has given us in my lifetime.

As one of McCain's constituents since 1994, I can tell you that he is only pragmatic when he is not up for reelection. Last year, like every other time his job was on the line, he was as loony-right as they come... until he won. I never have, and never will, vote for this joker for Dogcatcher, let alone Senator or President.

As for myself, I consider myself a libertarian-leaning centrist -- fiscally conservative and socially liberal -- but a hard-core no-party independent. In fact, I'd love to see all political parties Constitutionally outlawed via an amendment (yeah, I know, there's a better chance of the Browns beating the Lions in next year's Super Bowl). I told the GOP to go to hell in 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, added to the fact that the Republicans in Arizona are just as corrupt as the Democrats in Chicago.

I believe that, in case of any dispute, the wording of the Constitution must be the final word of the matter. That means, for example, that the 14th Amendment applies to all, including men who want to marry other men, and women who want to marry other women, as long as both are consenting adults. I also believe that if something is not specifically OK per the Constitution, a Federal law which passed Constitutional muster (despite all the mistakes SCOTUS has made through the years), and it doesn't cross state lines, the states should be left alone to make their own laws.

I agree but apparently politics is more tribal than I like to think it is. I look at the protests at UC Davis and UC Berkeley recently over Milo Yiannapolis who is apparently behind the Trump playbook and I realized were really segregated by politics. The threat of states doing their edition of Brexit like California and Texas for different reasons. California does it to protect their blue state status or Texas does brexit to protect their red state status.

At this point we are too Tribal when it comes to religious or political beliefs.

At this point we are too Tribal when it comes to religious or political beliefs.

I agree. It was not so in my grandparents' day.

IMHO the turning point was in 1972 when Saul Alinsky published Rules for Radicals.
The aim of politics then changed from winning a debate of ideas to destroying your opponent.

That book has had a tremendous influence, and not for the better.

I look at the protests at UC Davis and UC Berkeley recently over Milo Yiannapolis who is apparently behind the Trump playbook ...

Milo's recently revealed, astonishing defense of pedophilia has folks of all "tribes" riled up now.

IMHO the turning point was in 1972 when Saul Alinsky published Rules for Radicals.
The aim of politics then changed from winning a debate of ideas to destroying your opponent.

That book has had a tremendous influence, and not for the better.

Thinking back, I believe you may be right.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/21/516375420/france-warns-russia-to-stay-out-of-its-presidential-election

https://news.vice.com/story/philipp...-is-cozying-up-with-russia-as-he-cuts-us-ties

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/opinion/trumps-russia-motives.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/us/politics/donald-trump-russia.html?_r=0

Apparently having an alleged connection to Putin and Russia is political polarizing issue and not just in the USA and the White House. Apparently France and Philippines has also faced allegations of their presidential candidates, presidents or presidential cabinets over alleged Putin deals and not just a Trump Cabinet issue. Note some allegations may have on going congressional, intelligence investigations for now. Note I knew people who voted Republican when Reagan was President but switched to Democrats and Clinton in the 2016 elections because they didn't believe Trump was going to be a stable president. These are Republicans that voted for Reagan and the Bush family for president. These people were expecting a Jeb Bush to be president and
switched to Clinton in the last election because of the alleged Putin Deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utzB6oDan0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HYe9VdOGIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4np_7LkqL5M

I'm glad to be in Canada, where "Liberal" means not tilting left or right of the scale.
I love Canada because there are 3 solid voting choices that can tilt the country left, right or keep it level.
I think of myself as being an orange liberal. (New Democrat party, orange is the left leaning color)
The "Center scale" Liberal party in Canada uses red and the right winged conservative party here is blue.

For those who follow politics on both sides of the border, the colors do get confusing and easy to mix up, lol
(ie look at the democrat and Republican colors, now look at the Canadian Liberal and Conservative colors! lol)

If I were in the States, I would have most likely voted Democrat, but don't let my opinion stand in the way of thinking that BOTH choices in that last election were horrible.

Last edited:
You know the old joke...

"The United States will never try to annex Canada. They could never withstand the shock
of absorbing 30 million Democrats."

I lean liberal but I can read a Charles Krauthammer column and think he makes sense. Before Trump was elected I could listen to Rush Limbaugh and think he made sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom