• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wntn 1550

I understand why WNTN has to move because of land values, but why do they have to decrease daytime power from 10 kW to 0.75 kW? Interference with someone? To save money since they are closer to target audience? I wonder if they will be changing call letters since the NTN = Newton no longer will apply.

If the final format is Spanish-language, they'll probably identify with a slogan (preferably shouted, and with plenty of reverb) -- La Mega, Radio Colosal, etc. -- and minimize the use of call letters, to go with the practice preferred by stations in the homelands of their listeners.

If the final format is Spanish-language, they'll probably identify with a slogan (preferably shouted, and with plenty of reverb) -- La Mega, Radio Colosal, etc. -- and minimize the use of call letters, to go with the practice preferred by stations in the homelands of their listeners.

WNTN's format has been (and I'm guessing will probably stay) diverse brokered ethnic, not all one language, and there is also some English programming. They don't seem to subscribe to any one network such as Mega, etc.. it seems to be various programmers and organizations, some local, that buy the time, and there is some self-produced programming.

Currently their schedule includes Greek, Jewish, Irish/Celtic, Arabic, Haitian, and United Nations Radio among others. There is currently no Spanish listed (there are many other AM stations in the area with Spanish programming).

I've heard that filing for a call letter change is pricey, I'm guessing they may not see a need to do that.

WNTN's format has been (and I'm guessing will probably stay) diverse brokered ethnic, not all one language, and there is also some English programming. They don't seem to subscribe to any one network such as Mega, etc.. it seems to be various programmers and organizations, some local, that buy the time, and there is some self-produced programming.

Currently their schedule includes Greek, Jewish, Irish/Celtic, Arabic, Haitian, and United Nations Radio among others. There is currently no Spanish listed (there are many other AM stations in the area with Spanish programming).

I've heard that filing for a call letter change is pricey, I'm guessing they may not see a need to do that.

That puts them on WUNR's home turf. Maybe a flip to Spanish would be better. But as everyone says, the state of AM is such that whatever anyone pays a station to air makes for a viable, low-overhead format.

That puts them on WUNR's home turf. Maybe a flip to Spanish would be better. But as everyone says, the state of AM is such that whatever anyone pays a station to air makes for a viable, low-overhead format.

They've been running leased mostly foreign language programming for what, at least 25 years now? How are they all of a sudden putting themselves on WUNR's turf? I think they're pretty well established.

We'll see how the signal ends up being from Cambridge. It might be a stretch to hear them very well at their new Needham studio.

WUNR features a lot of Spanish programming, even if brokered, Spanish is the majority of their airtime. The Boston area also has primarily different types of Spanish formats on 800 (from Lawrence), 890, 1150, 1230, 1300, (maybe 1330 again when it comes back on), 1400 (from Lowell), 1570, and others. WNTN is probably better off serving (and selling time to) a variety of other ethnic groups that may not be being served elsewhere on the dial.

So how does it sound? Their new stream is not ready yet.

I don't know about any Spanish programming there.

Their ownership and flagship show is Greek.

Since the late 90s it's had Greek (Mornings, now owned by the host, second generation actually), some Talk, Public Affairs (1550 Today), Hatian Creole, Irish music shows, Arabic Christian, English general entertainment, Jewish shows, Robert Reed (Catholic TV) had a longtime Saturday show on there. Gaelic. Don't remember any Spanish.

The new branding is "Global Echoes" which is a spinoff of their official show Grecian Echoes. www.wntn1550am.com is the new site. For whatever reason the old website was not included in the sale.

Came in pretty well, and consider only 750 w, but from a tower in Cambridge.On the radio-locator map for the CP, N Reading is in Distant, rather than Local or Fringe

WUNR features a lot of Spanish programming, even if brokered, Spanish is the majority of their airtime. The Boston area also has primarily different types of Spanish formats on 800 (from Lawrence), 890, 1150, 1230, 1300, (maybe 1330 again when it comes back on), 1400 (from Lowell), 1570, and others. WNTN is probably better off serving (and selling time to) a variety of other ethnic groups that may not be being served elsewhere on the dial.

Don't forget 800, 890, and 1400 all have FM translators now as well.

Don't forget 800, 890, and 1400 all have FM translators now as well.

I didn't think 890's 94.9 was on the air yet, as I was told that it would be a very difficult build on the 890/1060 array because of filtering out the AM signals. I do see that their website and facebook page certainly highlights 94.9 now though. Has anyone out near Ashland actually heard it yet?

1570 isn't Spanish; it's Brazilian Portuguese.

Came in pretty well, and consider only 750 w, but from a tower in Cambridge.On the radio-locator map for the CP, N Reading is in Distant, rather than Local or Fringe

I tried to listen about 6PM Monday Evening (still daylight now), and I was picking up a preacher from WITK In Penn.

Also, does anyone have their new schedule? Their new website seems to be missing one....

I tried to listen about 6PM Monday Evening (still daylight now), and I was picking up a preacher from WITK In Penn.

Also, does anyone have their new schedule? Their new website seems to be missing one....

Overnights they will repeat the day schedule. Not sure about Saturdays, but I their longtime English Public Affairs show 1550 Today with Paul Roberts will remain. That's what they said a few weeks ago anyway. That had aired Saturdays from 8-9AM.

I'm guessing the Weekend schedule might remain slightly the same, I'm not sure. With the exception of Grecian Echoes (And the sister Sports show on Sunday The Benchwarmers), Abundant Life with Robert Reed, 1550 Today, UDH Radio, Arabian Nights, Arabic Baptist Church, Leading The Way (Arabic), and Farrakhan Speaks Hour were the only shows that were not dropped and replaced with the public domain UN Radio that ran during the station's final months in Newton.

The UN Radio was originally a midday block, it's all public domain content. But as leases began running out as the station was about to be sold off, almost the entire schedule with the exception of Grecian Echoes, the shows mentioned above and Greek Voice Of America was replaced entirely by it as the leases ran out. They had a handful of Legal IDs voiced by the previous owner, along with 1 jingle cutting in at the top of the hour automatically. They dug out an old jingle for the final days in Newton. Was surprised to hear it. Had not been used for years.
TOH ID Jingle (Skip to 2:09): http://www.mediafire.com/file/q2xq9qxpcwm59u9/Feb14'17_01;59PM_#001_Line.mp3

Anyway, back to the schedule
Officially...
Weekdays and Sundays 7AM-12PM: Grecian Echoes (Flagship show) with The Benchwarmers (English Sports Talk show) 1-2PM Sundays
12PM-1: Armenian
1-2PM: Portuguese (Portugal)
2PM-3:30-PM: Italian
3:30PM-5PM: Irish
5PM-7PM: Greek Voice Of America

Last edited:

I tried WNTN last night, and their three watt night signal did not seem to be on the air. Maybe they haven't gotten the night signal going yet since the transmitter move.

If it was on, I should get it here in Somerville a few miles from Fresh Pond, since I used to be able to (faintly) get the old three watt night signal from Newton, and I'm getting a much stronger day signal here from Fresh Pond than I did from Newton despite the lower wattage.

It's a pretty new Nautel transmitter Been in use only a few years. They might be signing off at 7. They plan on replaying the daytime programming after 7PM but not yet (Few weeks maybe)

The whole station had to be re built. They used mostly in studio hosts with automatic Legal IDs and some pre recorded programming.

Not only did they have to build a completely new transmitter system at WJIB's tower, but they also had to re build the studios at their building in Needham.

The Grecian Echoes studio has been operating since February but the rest of the equipment left over from the 4 studios at the building in Newton might still need to be picked up and moved and installed for the other studios. A lot of it is quite old. I think they actually got some new(er) equipment for the new Grecian Echoes studio.

Last edited:
UNR...not to be confused with W-UNR

The UN Radio was originally a midday block, it's all public domain content. But as leases began running out as the station was about to be sold off, almost the entire schedule with the exception of Grecian Echoes, the shows mentioned above and Greek Voice Of America was replaced entirely by it as the leases ran out.

So...no airing of United Nations radio at all now?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom