"The Maddening Allure Of KIRO Radio"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: "The Maddening Allure Of KIRO Radio"

  1. #1

    "The Maddening Allure Of KIRO Radio"

    That's the title of a new piece in The Stranger. A good read IMO.
    http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/th...of-kiro-radio/

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    That's the title of a new piece in The Stranger. A good read IMO.
    http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/th...of-kiro-radio/
    Thanks for sharing that, Rob. Whoever is programming KIRO-FM is doing it absolutely correctly. Understand the market, challenge the market, then approve of most who disapprove. That sounds crazy, but it is a formula that works. KIRO-FM is doing good stuff right now. Meantime, KTTH, in the same building can bring up a more politically positioned opinion, and that is OK as there is room for that. Good on KIRO!

  3. #3
    Sorry, I mistyped the source - it's Seattle Weekly, not The Stranger. In any event, seatownmedia is right. KIRO is firing on all cylinders. Hard to believe that less than a decade ago they were nearly conceding their news leadership role to KOMO. It's a good thing for KIRO that KOMO was so inept that they couldn't capitalize on that big opportunity.

  4. #4
    No worries on the source. It was a spot-on article.

    As for KOMO, as I mentioned in another thread last year, they are so under-performing IMO. They come across as "newsradio-lite". Too conversational. Need to be more authoritative IMO. Give me a KNX L.A. presentation and I would take them seriously. And their traffic reports are weak, only offering minimal info in each report.

  5. #5
    KIRO-FM does well in this market, simply because the product is excellent, and the ratings prove it. KOMO on the other hand is slow and dull, just like is was in the Larry Nelson era. I really liked KOMO’s all-news approach when they started out in 2002. Fisher let the product slide, and when Sinclair bought them, the product quality is about zero, and the rating prove it. Sinclair should sell the radio side…they don’t care about radio anyway, and anyone with half a brain can tell from 15 minutes of listening to KOMO.
    The only way KOMO can get back up on its feet, in my opinion is for someone to buy the station from Sinclair, put a compelling news-talk format on, and get a full market FM signal. FM is the future for talk, because AM is dying overall and because the younger generation listens to their MP3’s, and doesn’t really give a darn about radio (and as a Gen-X’r, I only listen to talk on the radio…I have my MP3’s too).

    OK…the experts on this board can now shoot at me for having an opinion.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edmonds, Washington
    Posts
    2,075
    Are you sure? More and more stations on both bands are dropping talk for music. We're seeing a lot of AM stations, mainly those with translators, drop talk for music.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KXA View Post
    KIRO-FM does well in this market, simply because the product is excellent, and the ratings prove it. KOMO on the other hand is slow and dull, just like is was in the Larry Nelson era. I really liked KOMO’s all-news approach when they started out in 2002. Fisher let the product slide, and when Sinclair bought them, the product quality is about zero, and the rating prove it. Sinclair should sell the radio side…they don’t care about radio anyway, and anyone with half a brain can tell from 15 minutes of listening to KOMO.
    The only way KOMO can get back up on its feet, in my opinion is for someone to buy the station from Sinclair, put a compelling news-talk format on, and get a full market FM signal. FM is the future for talk, because AM is dying overall and because the younger generation listens to their MP3’s, and doesn’t really give a darn about radio (and as a Gen-X’r, I only listen to talk on the radio…I have my MP3’s too).

    OK…the experts on this board can now shoot at me for having an opinion.
    I'll shoot, because I totally agree with your opinion. All-news is an expensive format to do correctly mainly because of the human capital needed. In '02 Fisher under Bill Krippaehne was a free-spending animal, blowing $145M on Fisher Plaza and $60M on Mariners rights. So money was no object back then. Fast forward 15 years and you have a station running with 40% of the staff from those salad days and most everyone just mails it in now (there are exceptions like Herb Weisbaum but for the most part it's like how KXA describes it).

    David Eduardo will be along soon to school all of us.
    Last edited by Rob Piotrowski; 02-17-2017 at 06:49 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    5,755
    I'm not particularly a fan of KIRO-FM. They're just too conservative for my taste (I used to listen to 1090 for progressive talk and I've had to find refuge via WCPT's online stream.) But what the writer indirectly acknowledged is that like most Seattle stations, KIRO-FM doesn't program for Seattle proper, but more for the outlying suburbs like Lynnwood and Bellevue, which are more conservative leaning than Seattle proper. And also where the big box store advertisers are.

    But I still give them props for being live and local most of the time when most talk stations aren't.

    And now, back to Nor-MAN Gold-MAN on 'CPT.....

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Shoreline, WA / Northern VA
    Posts
    1,357
    Bongwater hit the nail on the head...KIRO-FM is programmed for the suburban listener. Your average Seattle listener will be listening to KUOW (while complaining voraciously about how it's not nearly as good of a NPR station as it should be for its size population) or podcasts.

    That being said, I've always felt like KOMO sounds like one of those stations that goes news in market #75 or so...they can't afford the big staff of a WTOP, KCBS, or WINS, so they do what they can by using syndicated stuff, automation at night, running TV reports on the radio, and basically finding whatever excuse to avoid the costly "two anchors and an editor" format most news stations have.

    Granted, I rarely listen outside the 2-5 am hour, so my opinion may be skewed.

    Radio-X

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio-X View Post

    Granted, I rarely listen outside the 2-5 am hour, so my opinion may be skewed.
    Here's something you may not know: Even all news stations like the ones you mentioned don't typically staff with "two anchors and an editor" between the hours you listen. And it'll be interesting to see how staffing of the heritage AM all-news stations will change under new ownership.

    That being said, there are compromises people have to make in radio listening today. I often wonder how many people used to listen to Ichabod Caine and didn't like country music? At one time, there were "full service" stations that had full local news staffs, likable personalities, and they played music everyone in the family could enjoy. That style of radio went away as there became more stations doing more focused programming.

    BTW, I thought one of the reasons Seattle listeners supported the friends of KPLU was exactly the comment you made about KUOW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us