Radio 104.5's playlist - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Radio 104.5's playlist

Quote Originally Posted by ATLD View Post
    Another 20 year old chiming in... It's my understanding that the average listener only tunes in for ~12 minutes at a time in the car. During that period, it's important that the station is delivering content that their P1 is familiar with.
    I agree...all of this goes into the format we've been discussing. But it also applies to a lot of other formats, including all news. Try listening to KYW for 12 hours. You hear the exact same stories repeated in a cycle. Hey didn't we just hear that story? Sure you did. And it's one of the top rated stations in town.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLD View Post
    Another 20 year old chiming in... It's my understanding that the average listener only tunes in for ~12 minutes at a time in the car.
    Not just in the car... anywhere. In the car, listening is particularly limited by the length of the drive or commute. At home and at work, there are all manner of interruptions to continuous listening, ranging from taking out the trash or going out into the yard and taking a call, having a conversation or taking a coffee or bathroom break.

During that period, it's important that the station is delivering content that their P1 is familiar with. Otherwise, there's a high chance that they'll tune out. Radio stations spend a lot of time, money, and energy conducting research to determine what content is most favorable. You can't sell a station by how cutting edge/deep the playlist is, you sell it by the ratings and maximizing familiar content maximizes your ratings. Everything Radio 104.5 plays is chosen with some sort of reason.
    Absolutely. A high TSL station might have a dozen or more listening incidents by a P1 listener in a day. If each time they come back, they are not rewarded with a good song or good content, they are gone.

I don't understand why some people think their personal opinion/general observation trumps research?
    Because they are very self-centered?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    The personal preferences of a radio professional should never have any bearing on that person's ability to find out the tastes of a target group and serve them as best they can. Were it otherwise, what you are insinuating is tantamount to saying that a man should not be a women's fashion designer...
    I would never post my opinion about WXTU because I don't ever listen to it. I hate country music so why would I care what songs they play?

Note that WRFF got a 3.8 in the January "Beauty Contest" ratings, out today at noon.

Move on, nothing here to see.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678