Radio 104.5's playlist - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio 104.5's playlist

Quote Originally Posted by RandyDascher View Post

Do you work at 104.5?
    No. But I understand how they program the station. They're not trying to compete with WXPN or any number of low power non-commercial radio stations around Philly. They're not trying to become someone's personal music device. They're a commercial station that's designed around their average target listener, who doesn't listen for 12 hours a day. Their target listener has certain expectations from this station, including the expectation that they'll hear core artists like RHCP whenever they tune in. If you evaluate them by focusing on how often they play a particular artist during a 24 hour day, that completely ignores how their average listener uses the station.

How many times a day does Radio 104.5 play the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Wednesday February 15th, 2017 12:01 am 11:59 pm From Radio 104.5's Playlist

12:46 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
    1:00 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
    2:08 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tell Me Baby
    3:10 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
    4:19 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
    6:03 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking The Girl
    6:56 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane
    8:43 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tell Me Baby
    10:08 am Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
    12:57 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
    2:14 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss
    2:58 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
    5:07 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around The World
    6:48 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking The Girl
    8:45 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane
    9:13 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
    If nothing else, it's interesting that "Snow (Hey Oh)" played at 12:46am and ten minutes after it ended, it played again! And after 9:13 pm, they somehow went the rest of the day without playing RHCP at all!

On paper, it really does look a bit crazy. Does Q102 play Ed Sheeran 16x a day?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post
    Here's the thing. Yes they're targeted more towards people my age (I am 20). But almost everyone I know who listens to them and are my same age also agree with me. They need a bigger playlist. There is no getting around that. More indie stuff from today, more classics from yesterday. I do not see a problem with that.
    The station is not targeted at 18-24; its specific target is 25-44, with a median target of males around 36.

The problem with alternative in general is that it is a genre made up of multiple smaller coalitions. Each group likes some of the songs some of the other groups also like, but hates some of the songs a couple of the other groups love. So station, not having the ability to send specific songs to each group, has to only play the songs that everybody likes or at least does not dislike.

They are likely playing every consensus song they can find but in that format there are not that many.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Maybe that could be their new slogan. Radio 104.5 - Now with less variety, 'cause who listens to the same radio station 24 hours a day?
    Actually, the perception of variety is created by playing no songs a listener dislikes, not more songs. "Variety" means tight rotations of only the strongest songs.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Each group likes some of the songs some of the other groups also like, but hates some of the songs a couple of the other groups love.
    Exactly, and that's a problem unique to this format. A lot of this is caused by the artists and the music itself. There's no one promoting the genre or the culture at large.

I wonder if any of this will mean anything 5 years from now. What do you figure are the odds of this format occupying 104.5 at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    I wonder if any of this will mean anything 5 years from now. What do you figure are the odds of this format occupying 104.5 at that time?
    Gut reaction? Pretty good. They have held solid steady ratings, although do have trouble monetizing it. Unless the $$ goes down, I don't see iHeart with any pressing needs/any other format holes in the market that need to be filled with the 104.5 signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    On paper, it really does look a bit crazy. Does Q102 play Ed Sheeran 16x a day?
    Thank you for getting my point. There are a few guys on this thread that feel there is nothing wrong with playing the same artist 16 times a day. I wonder if they played the same artist 32 times a day would all the comments be the same? How small a playlist is too small? I'm guessing 104.5's playlist is comprised of no more than 200 songs spanning three decades. Would people like the station more if the playlist was comprised of 50 songs?

I know it will probably NEVER happen but I wish a second alternative rock station would appear in Philly with a much larger playlist and let the ratings decide the winner. The sports talk fans in Philly have choices and competition usually leads to a better product.

Thank you for getting my point. There are a few guys on this thread that feel there is nothing wrong with playing the same artist 16 times a day. I wonder if they played the same artist 32 times a day would all the comments be the same? How small a playlist is too small? I'm guessing 104.5's playlist is comprised of no more than 200 songs spanning three decades. Would people like the station more if the playlist was comprised of 50 songs?

I know it will probably NEVER happen but I wish a second alternative rock station would appear in Philly with a much larger playlist and let the ratings decide the winner. The sports talk fans in Philly have choices and competition usually leads to a better product.
    Actually, WIOQ played Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" 122 times in the past week- equals an average of over 17 times a day! And that's the #3 song on their playlist. Then again, CHR has always been about playing the hits and playing them a lot.

Back to WRFF, their website isn't as good as it was a year or so ago, but when they published their entire playlist, it was between 400-450 songs. I imagine it's about the same now.

The number of songs they play is dependent on how many "hits" they can find at any given time. And given it's usually top five in its target demographic, I'd say they found the right number.

For me, I liked the station better about five years ago, but it's still pretty good in my book.

In most formats, ranging from AC to Country to the one under discussion, the biggest core artist will definitely play as often as once an hour. In CHR, an artist with currents and recurrents that are very strong may play as often as every 30 to 40 minutes.

If every song by a particular artist that is played is a hit, so what if they play the artist every hour or so? Listeners hear songs, and if among their favorites are many by the same artist, then they want to hear all of them. Imagine if stations did not play song by the biggest artists frequently... a one-hit-wonder artist would play just as often as Imagine Dragons. Not.

The WRFF regular rotation playlist is a tad over 400 songs, which is in the typical range for such a format. It is very hard to find more than that number of songs that don't have horrible negatives among subsets of the target audience.

I've been in a situation, although in a bigger market, with a slightly different version of rock (currents to some songs from the 70's) with a 450 title library. A competitor came on, playing a much larger library. We kept our 20 share and #1 rank, they never got over a 1.8 and left the format a year later. Listener comments in focus groups were similar to "They play one or two songs I don't like for every one that I do like."
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 02-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast