• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WUSF TV SOLD AT Auction, is WUSF Radio next?

What a drag it is, as the Stones said.

Also, I highly doubt that any station has ever run week-old traffic reports. Or still puts them on "carts." Or pays its board ops $8 an hour.

First of all, it has happened. You don't have to believe it. People are really lazy and also computer illiterate, even these days. Yes, board ops still make minimum wage, and even though we use computer automation, they're still called "carts". That's why I used quotation marks.

I'm 32... lol

If that's true, broadcasting really ceased to be a "public service" before you were born. For example, Congress created public broadcasting, which is the topic of this thread, in 1967 because it felt commercial broadcasting had become too focused on ratings and money. Of course now even public broadcasting is struggling to stay alive.

no mention

It's funny that these reports of bumbling incompetence always fail to mention the station or the market.

And I have never seen a successful station that had a 4,000 song library in a mass appeal format. Maybe that happens in classical music, what with all the different versions of most works, but it has been many decades since that was a mass appeal format.

P.S. 4200 watts is relatively low power for an FM, unless it is 4,200 watts at a very high location. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of that 1000 watt AM.

I don't mention them for a specific reason.......why embarrass them even more than they do to themselves? #2: While most of the people I know have retired there are still a few working at the stations that I know so why cause them grief? They know, from me at least, that their station screwed up. #3: I still may apply at these stations and rather not have one of them say "GET OUT!" if I publicly shamed them by giving out there call letters.

And I'm sure you wouldn't want your name mentioned if you did something that was totally boneheaded......like sleeping with small farm animals. [Not that you do....but see what I mean?]

I don't mention them for a specific reason.......why embarrass them even more than they do to themselves? #2: While most of the people I know have retired there are still a few working at the stations that I know so why cause them grief? They know, from me at least, that their station screwed up. #3: I still may apply at these stations and rather not have one of them say "GET OUT!" if I publicly shamed them by giving out there call letters.

And I'm sure you wouldn't want your name mentioned if you did something that was totally boneheaded......like sleeping with small farm animals. [Not that you do....but see what I mean?]

I'm more than willing to name stations. I'm already blackballed from every radio company in the market, from Salem to Cox, and definitely iHeart. The part I can't understand is, who would want to go back anyway? I sure wouldn't. Broadcasting is dead. I feel like this board is just here to document it's demise :)

Coolaide and Yabadabado1:

I think you both need to get a plan together and go grab ya a small radio station, or two. You both seem like you could rewrite the radio book, But, I gotta ask one thing to coolaid - you are young (32 compared to an old man, like I am) and have the future ahead! What did you do (mistake or what?) to get blackballed?

Broadcasting is dead for sure. When was the last time you listened to any radio station?

Haha, I'm probably not really blackballed. That's exaggeration I suppose. I hosted a radio show that no one listened to for a few years, and I spent the entire time talking crap about every company and radio personality I could think of. Plus there are all of the things I've said here. Realistically though, I just wouldn't want another radio gig even if I could get one.

I haven't listened to the radio in over a year. I listened to Bubba 98.7 for awhile because I really enjoyed the anything goes format. I haven't listened since they flipped to jock rock, or whatever they're playing now. My daughter does like PBS Kids though. We've been watching 16.2 since she was a baby. It'll be sad to see that go.

WEDU could add 3.5 or replace 3.4 WEDU+ with PBS Kids, to fill in that void.

Noticed today that OTA channel 3 WEDU has added a 3.5 and 3.6, one is the Kids TV and the other is Create; also WTVT Fox 13 is having a segment on WUSF TV this evening (Tuesday the 10th) one their 10PM newscast.

Right now WUSF is airing a slide which says "WEDQ will soon feature your favorite PBS programs". WEDQ? They can't even get the callsign of the other station correct?

Right now WUSF is airing a slide which says "WEDQ will soon feature your favorite PBS programs". WEDQ? They can't even get the callsign of the other station correct?

Some people are mourning the passing of WUSF television. These people need to remember that it was the decision of USF to sell the WUSF-TV operating frequency to the government.
Apparently USF cares more about cashing-in on their frequency than serving the public.
It's not surprising that they can't even get the call letters of WEDU correct. WEDU has always been the primary PBS station for the Tampa/St. Pete market.

Some people are mourning the passing of WUSF television. These people need to remember that it was the decision of USF to sell the WUSF-TV operating frequency to the government.
Apparently USF cares more about cashing-in on their frequency than serving the public.
It's not surprising that they can't even get the call letters of WEDU correct. WEDU has always been the primary PBS station for the Tampa/St. Pete market.

Actually that should be surprising because according to an FCC channel-sharing document, WEDU was expected to change the callsign of WUSF to WEDQ.

I believe WEDQ is correct. Just be on the lookout for any FCC filings that show the changing of callsigns on UHF channel 34 from WUSF to WEDQ.

Actually, it's a moot point. WUSF-TV is history.

Yes, that's true. But it entered into a channel sharing agreement with WEDU on its last few days which led to apprently WUSF being bought out by WEDU, having WUSF's signal being shared by WEDU and allowing WEDU to change the callsign to WEDQ in which it has been since today, October 16th.

Could someone explain in simple terms what the sharing agreement means? Why is Digital UHF 34 re-mapped to 16-1 still on the air? I thought the "spectrum" and channel was sold in the auction? At the same time, WEDU has added two sub channels to it's own digital channel. Just wondering where this channel or spectrum space that was sold has gone if the "Channel 16" is still on the air.

Yes, that's true. But it entered into a channel sharing agreement with WEDU on its last few days which led to apprently WUSF being bought out by WEDU, having WUSF's signal being shared by WEDU and allowing WEDU to change the callsign to WEDQ in which it has been since today, October 16th.

WUSF was not bought out by WEDU. WUSF sold their broadcast license back to the government. As I understand, WEDU will be airing some of the programs which were formerly broadcast by WUSF.
There is no FCC information which indicates that the WEDU call letters have (or will) change to WEDQ. Why would the station want to change call letters?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/wedu-now-airing-some-pbs-shows-lost-to-the-wusf-shutdown/2341241

16-1 is currently airing WEDU programs. I suspect this for the short term as a tease until the transmitter is actually turned off.

WUSF was not bought out by WEDU. WUSF sold their broadcast license back to the government. As I understand, WEDU will be airing some of the programs which were formerly broadcast by WUSF.
There is no FCC information which indicates that the WEDU call letters have (or will) change to WEDQ. Why would the station want to change call letters?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/wedu-now-airing-some-pbs-shows-lost-to-the-wusf-shutdown/2341241

There is FCC information and they did change to WEDQ. The answer to your question of why would they is because call letters have to be assigned to each broadcasting frequency and WEDU will be broadcasting content there for awhile.

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/tv-profile/wedq

Last edited:
I received the following email from a friend who works for WEDU.

Well, I read through the Radio Discussions posts. It certainly has been a confusing time for TV viewers and WEDU employees as well. I'm now semi-retired and work 2 days per week since the beginning of October. After having a conversation with the WEDU CEO yesterday it has become more clear of what is taking place with public television in the Tampa area.

There has been an effort by both WEDU (Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting) and WUSF TV to find a way to best serve the PBS TV community since WUSF has pulled out of the broadcasting business. (It has been a USF financially declining operation for some time now.)

WEDU has added two additional virtual channels in October, going from 4 to 6 of them now with an effort to add most of the WUSF programming. It has been a struggle to get most cable TV companies to pick up all of them and this battle is on going. The satellite TV companies seem to carry only one channel per TV station.

Problem: How to continue to get more than one public TV channel on the satellite TV systems in the Tampa area. And, get cable TV systems to carry more PBS programming. WEDU has been unsuccessful with getting cable companies to talk with us. We were hoping that they could pickup WEDU's additional channels so that Public TV could continue to provide service that the Tampa area has enjoyed because of two PBS broadcasters over the years. What to do? We did not want the channel 16 presence to go dark on cable and satellite systems until we could accomplish some dialog.

Now, for the rest of the story. WUSF TV decided to stop the financial bleeding earlier than the required post auction sign off deadline. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has provided money for a transition phase toward a final broadcasting effort. The WUSF TV transmitter is located at the WEDU community tower site so WEDU has essentially created a TV station in a box comprised of several computers and supporting hardware to provide 4 channels of programming. This was located next to and connected to the WUSF transmitter so no STL is required. The new call sign WEDQ has been issued by the FCC to replace WUSF TV. It's in the FCC database now. This keeps a broadcast presence in place but we have no programming licenses for PBS programming on WEDQ. We are airing what we or USF own or can legally find without spending lots of money.

So, this is temporary until the RF channel 34 must be turned off. At that point, the WEDQ license will move to Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting and share with WEDU on RF channel 13. Both call signs will be programmed by Florida West Coast Public Broadcasting (WEDU). This will provide two different PBS station call signs that will hopefully somehow play into the must carry rules for Cable and Satellite TV providers. All of this so that TV viewers can continue to see their favorite PBS programs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom