• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WUSF TV SOLD AT Auction, is WUSF Radio next?

Seems like I read some of the programming is expected to be picked up by WEDU, but it can't pick up everything.

I don't understand why WUSF couldn't hop on to the .xs of WEDU-13.
Of course, this assumes they want to stay in telecasting and not using the repack as an excuse to exit TV.

It makes me wonder what WEDU will do now, such as picking up Create. The only national network WUSF carried was Create; the Kids and Knowledge networks were locally produced IIRC.

Seems like I read some of the programming is expected to be picked up by WEDU, but it can't pick up everything.

Why not?. There are enough .xs and it looks as though there will be more with ATSC3.

Also, Tampa Bay will only get The Florida Channel for half-a-day, the only market in Florida to have this situation, where in one part of the day, TFC is on, but in the other, it's not, at all, unless they have cable! I think it's time for WEDU to add more subchannels, of course, not WUSF, but it's subchannels 16.2 & 16.3 (maybe replacing 3.4).

Also, Tampa Bay will only get The Florida Channel for half-a-day, the only market in Florida to have this situation, where in one part of the day, TFC is on, but in the other, it's not, at all, unless they have cable! I think it's time for WEDU to add more subchannels, of course, not WUSF, but it's subchannels 16.2 & 16.3 (maybe replacing 3.4).

Your wrong... WPBT in Miami has TFC from 6am-6pm during the legislative sessions and at some points during the year. At all other times on weekdays and all day weekends, its Create and sometimes overnights, the World channel pops up. This is on WPBT Channel 2.2

EDIT: WJCT 7.4 Jacksonville, WXEL 42.4 West Palm Beach, WUFT 5.2 in Gainesville (weekdays only) and WSRE 23.3 in Pensacola also air TFC for half a day.

Last edited:

How many people actually watch "The Florida Channel" in Tampa/St Pete?

Five, six people at any given time.

Jonathan7157, do you not have cable or Netflix/Hulu?

Florida channel

How many people actually watch "The Florida Channel" in Tampa/St Pete?

Five, six people at any given time.

Be glad you're not in Ohio. Basically have the Ohio Channel as a digital subnet of a PBS station. Lot's of repeats of the same public affairs type programming with presenters that make CSPAN look like an action network. Than at 11 pm it switches to a classical music video format with no commercials which isn't half bad. If I have trouble falling asleep, I turn that on and it does the trick.

Be glad you're not in Ohio. Basically have the Ohio Channel as a digital subnet of a PBS station. Lot's of repeats of the same public affairs type programming with presenters that make CSPAN look like an action network. Than at 11 pm it switches to a classical music video format with no commercials which isn't half bad. If I have trouble falling asleep, I turn that on and it does the trick.

In Connecticut, we get 24/7 programming from CT-N, the Connecticut Network -- just about every committee and subcommittee meeting aired in full (delayed), along with sessions of the state legislature. The only programming it does that won't induce coma are parole hearings from the state's prisons. Those are actually quite watchable and interesting.

Actually, WPBT has it on Channel 2.3 from 6am-6pm during the legislative sessions. Its now shown there since V-me is leaving broadcast for cable and I think World has taken over the second half of programming on that channel.

No, I don't have Netflix/Hulu, but I do have cable (via BHN/Spectrum. Unfortunately, the version of Spectrum I have only has local channels, plus C-SPAN, TBS, and Bay News 9 (the 24/7 local news channel).

Last edited:
Could be a temporary problem, but it appears WUSF has dropped 16-2 and 16-3 from OTA. Only seeing 16-1 and 16-4 coming in on scans now.

Byron

Could be a temporary problem, but it appears WUSF has dropped 16-2 and 16-3 from OTA. Only seeing 16-1 and 16-4 coming in on scans now.

Byron
Bryon or anyone else; are the OTA subchannels all back on the air? I am out of the area and have no way of verifying WUSF OTA.

I did notice a week or so ago, that one of WFTS's subchannel's (28.2-Laff) was off the air for an hour or so, but 28.2 was on cable at that time. I'm thinking that with most people paying to watch on cable that some stations might be skimping in maintainance.....hoping I'm wrong.

Both yesterday and today, I am receiving 16-1 through 16-4 all with equal (numerical) signal strength. Doesn't seem to be any problems.

Both yesterday and today, I am receiving 16-1 through 16-4 all with equal (numerical) signal strength. Doesn't seem to be any problems.
Thanks DWTPA 97, goes it must have been a maintainance issue and not the prelude to signing off forever....just yet!

WTTA channel 38 has also sold their spectrum for nearly $20M. So that makes two stations going off air in Tampa, channels 16 & 38.

I'm gonna assume that...virtually no one with cable or satellite will have any idea this occured.
Those few who still use antennæ will find the station's missing until they initiate a re-scan.

The thing is, lots of people are still watching OTA despite the fact that the content BLOWS. In fact, there are people watching OTA now that haven't watched it in 20 years or more. That's why it's funny that they're deciding to pull the plug now. Just last year there were all these articles about people ditching cable and putting up antennas. My parents did it. Several friends have done it. At my house I was content with rabbit ears, and the 30 or so channels I got. I don't watch much TV anyway. But that's the direction things are going, pretty soon they won't be selling TV's with tuners anymore. When they got rid of analog the writing was on the wall. The government/corporations want terrestrial broadcasting (as we know it) to die already. They want that spectrum, and ultimately they want us to pay the price for it. Broadcasting was a beautiful thing, it was supposed to be a public service for the good of the community. That idea is long dead. They're more than glad to cash out now that they've ruined the entire medium of terrestrial broadcasting.... too dramatic?

Broadcasting was a beautiful thing, it was supposed to be a public service for the good of the community. That idea is long dead. They're more than glad to cash out now that they've ruined the entire medium of terrestrial broadcasting.... too dramatic?

Yes because it's not true.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom