WUSF TV SOLD AT Auction, is WUSF Radio next? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WUSF TV SOLD AT Auction, is WUSF Radio next?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    What a drag it is, as the Stones said.

Also, I highly doubt that any station has ever run week-old traffic reports. Or still puts them on "carts." Or pays its board ops $8 an hour.
    First of all, it has happened. You don't have to believe it. People are really lazy and also computer illiterate, even these days. Yes, board ops still make minimum wage, and even though we use computer automation, they're still called "carts". That's why I used quotation marks.

Quote Originally Posted by coolaid213 View Post
    I'm 32... lol
    If that's true, broadcasting really ceased to be a "public service" before you were born. For example, Congress created public broadcasting, which is the topic of this thread, in 1967 because it felt commercial broadcasting had become too focused on ratings and money. Of course now even public broadcasting is struggling to stay alive.

no mention

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

It's funny that these reports of bumbling incompetence always fail to mention the station or the market.

And I have never seen a successful station that had a 4,000 song library in a mass appeal format. Maybe that happens in classical music, what with all the different versions of most works, but it has been many decades since that was a mass appeal format.

P.S. 4200 watts is relatively low power for an FM, unless it is 4,200 watts at a very high location. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of that 1000 watt AM.
    I don't mention them for a specific reason.......why embarrass them even more than they do to themselves? #2: While most of the people I know have retired there are still a few working at the stations that I know so why cause them grief? They know, from me at least, that their station screwed up. #3: I still may apply at these stations and rather not have one of them say "GET OUT!" if I publicly shamed them by giving out there call letters.

And I'm sure you wouldn't want your name mentioned if you did something that was totally boneheaded......like sleeping with small farm animals. [Not that you do....but see what I mean?]

Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado1 View Post
    I don't mention them for a specific reason.......why embarrass them even more than they do to themselves? #2: While most of the people I know have retired there are still a few working at the stations that I know so why cause them grief? They know, from me at least, that their station screwed up. #3: I still may apply at these stations and rather not have one of them say "GET OUT!" if I publicly shamed them by giving out there call letters.

And I'm sure you wouldn't want your name mentioned if you did something that was totally boneheaded......like sleeping with small farm animals. [Not that you do....but see what I mean?]
    I'm more than willing to name stations. I'm already blackballed from every radio company in the market, from Salem to Cox, and definitely iHeart. The part I can't understand is, who would want to go back anyway? I sure wouldn't. Broadcasting is dead. I feel like this board is just here to document it's demise

Quote Originally Posted by coolaid213 View Post
    Broadcasting is dead. I feel like this board is just here to document it's demise
    There are lots of things in far worse shape.

Coolaide and Yabadabado1:

I think you both need to get a plan together and go grab ya a small radio station, or two. You both seem like you could rewrite the radio book, But, I gotta ask one thing to coolaid - you are young (32 compared to an old man, like I am) and have the future ahead! What did you do (mistake or what?) to get blackballed?

Broadcasting is dead for sure. When was the last time you listened to any radio station?

Haha, I'm probably not really blackballed. That's exaggeration I suppose. I hosted a radio show that no one listened to for a few years, and I spent the entire time talking crap about every company and radio personality I could think of. Plus there are all of the things I've said here. Realistically though, I just wouldn't want another radio gig even if I could get one.

I haven't listened to the radio in over a year. I listened to Bubba 98.7 for awhile because I really enjoyed the anything goes format. I haven't listened since they flipped to jock rock, or whatever they're playing now. My daughter does like PBS Kids though. We've been watching 16.2 since she was a baby. It'll be sad to see that go.

WEDU could add 3.5 or replace 3.4 WEDU+ with PBS Kids, to fill in that void.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567