• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bubba back on in Tampa 2/13/2017...on WWBA 820

Obtuse

Frequent Participant
Looks like Genesis Broadcasting is providing a new flagship for Bubba, on 820 AM.

I guess Nielsen won't be an issue, as WWBA doesn't subscribe.

Last edited:
Whats the scoop on the translators? look at their license shows W248CA and W252DF, both have CP's to move to the same tower.........whats up with that? Bruce playing the 2 owners against each other? Daytime WWBA signal pretty good, night time not so much.

Isn't Genesis a religious broadcaster? Bubba is as far away from religious as you can get! Can anyone make sense of this?

How the mighty have fallen.... is he still on in Fort Myers?

Yeah...he's still on Beasley's WRXK Ft. Myers (96 KROCK).

Whats the scoop on the translators? look at their license shows W248CA and W252DF, both have CP's to move to the same tower.........whats up with that? Bruce playing the 2 owners against each other? Daytime WWBA signal pretty good, night time not so much.

Of the two possible translators, the 97.5 is preferable, as 98.3 would require a huge null toward the west (to protect co-channel Max 98.3 Lakeland). Even then there might be interference issues.

Last edited:
Pretty sure 820's 50kw signal covers more ground than any other signal in the Tampa market - AM or FM. And it stretches from Tallahassee to Key West. Certainly a signal upgrade from 98.7. And honestly covers more ground than the monstrous 102.5 signal.

Here is the actual press release from WWBA's website regarding Bubba's show.
https://www.newstalkflorida.com/news/bubba-love-sponge-wwba-820-sign-new-agreement/

It says they have entered into an "agreement" so this COULD possibly be a time buy or some other agreement.
Since WWBA is not a subscriber to Nielsen, this shouldnt damage any relationship 820 would have with Nielsen due to Bubba's pending lawsuits with them.

Very interesting to note that current WWBA Program Manager, Tom Paleveda, was the Program Director of news/talk 620 WSUN/Tampa
when it became "Entertaining Talk Radio For The 90's". Back then Paleveda had orchestrated a deal with another highly popular
Tampa Bay rock morning show that had lost it's FM flagship at the time, Ron & Ron, to anchor WSUN's morning timeslot.

Paleveda's clever quote says Bubba promises "to try and be a good boy". LOL.

Last edited:
I hope someone fixes the 820 audio processing, the speech is ok but wow does it go to crap with any music I couldn't make it thru 1 whole break. I am willing to bet an old Optimod 9100 with dry caps, and no leveling/agc at the studio. The web feed isn't as bad but I think Bubba needs some dedicated hardware on his web product as well. Does anyone know what transmitter is at WWBA? I would guess a DX10 so it would be plenty capable of good audio even with music.

Duh I said DX10 its a 50KW, outside of BTLS the processing seems adequate so I imagine its whatever IP delivery they are using not having enough headroom or is improperly mono'd.

A 3DX50 and a Nautel are very capable transmitters. (however the guy on now 2pm needs a better mic then the headset he is using, very narrow sounding, mic pops and breathing are very distracting)

Yeah...he's still on Beasley's WRXK Ft. Myers (96 KROCK).

Of the two possible translators, the 97.5 is preferable, as 98.3 would require a huge null toward the west (to protect co-channel Max 98.3 Lakeland). Even then there might be interference issues.
I would hope they don't go with 98.3! WWRZ can be picked up well westward into Hillsborough County, and that factor plays out well in that they do traffic reports for Tampa Bay.

I would hope they don't go with 98.3! WWRZ can be picked up well westward into Hillsborough County, and that factor plays out well in that they do traffic reports for Tampa Bay.

Both the 97.5 and 98.3 Translators are being "Parked" with WWBA-AM as the originating station temporarily.

They are both for sale, but are extremely risky translators on the Co-Channels of two Hall Communications stations.

I know for a fact those 2 translators are on their radar, and am sure they will file an interference complaint if even one listener contacts them. A lot of people commute from Lakeland into Tampa to and from work every day and I am sure it will be an issue.

Different Genesis.
AMPFET1 retired.
Turning the 3DX50 down at night.
J1000 as backup.
Bubba sat. fed. on Cumulus/WWO XDS. Probably only feeding one channel, as AM is mono. Yes. music will sound funny with the right channel missing.

Last edited:
I'll bet you a Coke WWBA is running an old Knatt-Hindes Tri-maze audio processor. I never thought those boxes sounded very good but some swear by them..others swear AT them. Maduri usually runs decent technical operations so I wonder if something is amiss in the phasor/antenna array?

well I have a nice new DSP AM processor if they are interested..........the station is extremely thin and that's where I made the dried caps comparison. I know listening to Bubba's stream on Tune In they have level issues, I tried to get in touch with whoever is in charge of engineering over there but I think he may have left the building. An Optimod pc card could feed his web stream and pre-process for the network. I also think the mic processing in his studio is wonky too his voice used to be extremely consistent and now not so much.

Bubba cant be told anything about Engineering. He knows it all, just ask him. Remember, this is the guy who talks into the SIDE of an RE20.

Remember, this is the guy who talks into the SIDE of an RE20.

ayep, that's funny right there! It's sad he such good friends with Randy I am sure he's heard it needs to be fixed.........what do I know I have only been nationally recognized in a magazine no one ever read..........lmao

Bubba cant be told anything about Engineering. He knows it all, just ask him. Remember, this is the guy who talks into the SIDE of an RE20.

Ah...it's only Bubba that sounds thin. Off axis presentation would certainly explain that but I thought someone opined that the music sounded awful too.
Dave Glenn used to do some work for Bruce before he joined Paxton. I wonder if he is still in the Clearwater area? He is an excellent engineer and would not have audio running in "complaint mode." Jerry Smith used to be the Genesis engineering head honcho and he is very picky about audio so, again, I'm surprised there are complaints. I don't live in the area so I can't hear it myself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom