• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could Cox Radio come to Seattle?

And how many embedded markets of value with decent facilities are there? Long Island and San José are the only ones, and there don't look to be any good facilities that might be on the market.

San Jose is market 36 but is 71st in revenue. Nassau-Suffolk is market 20 but 44th in revenue. Morristown is market 121 but is 214th in revenue.

Monmouth/Ocean is half and half... on county in the NYC metro, one outside it. Market 53, 72nd in revenue.

Santa Rosa no longer appears to have a book.

Those don't look like particularly attractive markets.

I wonder how eliminating the embedded market rule would impact Entercom's divestitures in the Bay Area if it were to be eliminated.

I wonder how eliminating the embedded market rule would impact Entercom's divestitures in the Bay Area if it were to be eliminated.

It would only effect whether they keep San José licensed KUFX, which is pretty much a "south of Hayward and San Mateo" facility. I don't see that saving that one or being able to buy something on Long Island is worth the legal costs and waste of time.

Isn't the Inland Empire an imbedded market? If so, how is iHeart allowed to own so many stations in both markets?

No, the IE is not part of the Los Angeles MSA. In fact, there is a piece of San Bernardino county running from Fontana to Rialto that is not part of either market, despite having close to a million in population.

The LA MSA is all of LA and Orange counties. The IE market is made up of specific parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

With the pending CBS/Entercom deal, and the tax benefits of swapping stations versus buying, could Cox Radio be coming to Seattle?

Right off the bat you can see some mutual needs between Cox and Entercom. Entercom needs to get rid of 2 FM’s in both Boston and Seattle which Cox could pair with WFXT-TV and KIRO-TV respectively. Entercom’s big selling item to investors about the merger is that they will be in 23 out of the top 25 markets. The two top 25 markets they currently don’t have a presence in are Tampa (market 19) and Nassau/Suffolk (market 20), two markets Cox only has a radio presence in and might be willing to deal. For Entercom being able to say they’re in every single top 25 market would be a big deal to national buyers and investors alike.

If they wanted to make the deal even larger, Entercom might be willing to deal the current CBS cluster in Pittsburgh for Cox to pair with WPXI-TV in exchange for Cox’s San Antonio (market 26) cluster which would give Entercom an even bigger presence in Texas.

Cox could easily find room in the KIRO building for two FM’s. I think they make the most sense to pick up these Seattle FM’s in a trade deal more than any other group. We’ll see what happens!

I consider Bonneville and/or Hubbard the most logical choices for the Entercom/CBS Radio spinoffs in Seattle, mainly because of rumors that Entercom could swap their Seattle spinoffs for stations in Phoenix since Bonneville and Hubbard are under capacity in Seattle, and Entercom is under capacity in Phoenix.

In Boston, I could see Entercom swapping 2 FMs to iHeartMedia, considering recent rumors that iHeartMedia could sell some of their clusters in the Virginia/Carolina region and Entercom could see this as an opportunity to trade their spinoffs with iHeartMedia.

In Pittsburgh, Entercom will own the legendary KDKA in the market and WDSY was owned by Entercom before, so there's no point in trading their Pittsburgh cluster to someone else.

If Entercom wants to acquire stations from Cox, they can do that later. There's no reason for Entercom to swap a small amount of stations to Cox.

I see all of this very differently. I see a few CBS GMs setting up their own radio company, similar to the way a group of former Cox GMs created SummitMedia. Their company would be set up to provide the same tax advantages as a trade. No need to sell or trade to competitors. Keep the stations within the family. The CBS GMs know their stations very well, and would run them better than when they were under the big corporate umbrella. I see this happening in several markets where Entercom has stations to divest.

I could see Cox entering Boston, and possibly exiting Tampa, but not Seattle. Seattle has too many owners that can absorb the excess.

If Cox wants to sell their Tampa cluster to Entercom, they could do that anytime. CBS also had a Tampa cluster before trading it to Beasley in 2014.

I see all of this very differently. I see a few CBS GMs setting up their own radio company, similar to the way a group of former Cox GMs created SummitMedia. Their company would be set up to provide the same tax advantages as a trade. No need to sell or trade to competitors. Keep the stations within the family. The CBS GMs know their stations very well, and would run them better than when they were under the big corporate umbrella. I see this happening in several markets where Entercom has stations to divest.

I'm just saying that Cox isn't the best suitor for the CBS Radio spinoffs. The spinoffs could give Entercom more stations in markets where they're not at capacity.

I'm just saying that Cox isn't the best suitor for the CBS Radio spinoffs. The spinoffs could give Entercom more stations in markets where they're not at capacity.

Cox is not expanding in radio, and they are focused on just preserving radio in markets where they have grandfathered newspaper alliances or TV.

Anne Cox Chambers is now 97, although her sister's son and several children are involved in the enterprise.

Cox is not expanding in radio, and they are focused on just preserving radio in markets where they have grandfathered newspaper alliances or TV.

In fact, Cox Media has funded some very interesting online sites. That seems to be their main area of growth right now.

In fact, Cox Media has funded some very interesting online sites. That seems to be their main area of growth right now.

That seems to be the trend everywhere. Station groups are hyper-focused on building digital assets with an eye on the future. Not horse-trading, or new station acquisitions.

Anne Cox Chambers is now 97, although her sister's son and several children are involved in the enterprise.

And as I said before, I didn't think Cox would be a good swap partner from Entercom anyways even though they have some good radio properties.

If Cox is focused on owning radio stations in markets where they also own TV stations and/or newspapers, could they divest in markets where they only own radio stations?

Even with the formation of SummitMedia, Cox still owns some radio-only markets in Tampa, Houston, Miami, Long Island, and San Antonio.

All of which are PPM markets; all the ones sold to Summit are in diary markets.

If Cox is focused on owning radio stations in markets where they also own TV stations and/or newspapers, could they divest in markets where they only own radio stations?

Yes, that was my whole point back in February when I wrote that. I'm not saying Cox would be buying Entercom stations, or adding more radio stations to their portfolio. What I was saying was Entercom needs to shed stations in certain markets, and in some of those same markets, Cox has standalone TV properties with no radio stations. Cox also has some standalone radio markets that Entercom doesn't have a presence in, but would like to.

If I'm Cox, and I don't necessarily want to be in radio, especially in markets where I don't have another property, wouldn't it make sense for me to swap those markets to gain stations in markets where I already have a presence? They can do this tax free and it would instantly strengthen their portfolio because of (say it together boys and girls) SYNERGIES.

If I'm already paying for facilities, personnel, etc. in Seattle at KIRO TV, and I can pick up some radio stations in Seattle in exchange for my standalone radio properties in Tampa, doesn't that make sense? Paying for one building instead of two, utilizing TV personalities for traffic/weather/news on my new radio stations, cross-promoting sister properties, leveraging existing sales people and their relationships, etc.

Also, Entercom just brought over the SVP from Cox Radio Tampa back in July. Not saying this is going to happen, just that it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom