Entercom's Impact on NYC - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Entercom's Impact on NYC

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Too much height, not enough power.
    I was pondering about programming.
    I believe that the second half of what I quoted might be true beyond the first couple million people, but never the first half.
    Actually, with that low power, ESB might be a better, certainly a more central spot.
    So, how would one program that signal challenged station that would ultimately cover many millions of people.
    Last edited by ai4i; 06-10-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

102.7 and WBMP are the low billers of the cluster, but both are in the $13,000,000 to $15,000,000 annual billing range... better than WPLJ and a couple of other full signal FMs in the market.
    Wow - those numbers are stunningly poor!!!

I thought for sure Fresh would be closer to $20 million. How is it that two stations with such strong appeal to suburban white females (WPLJ, WFSH) bill so abysmally? Didn't WPLJ used to bill nearly $30 million a year before Cumulus ruined the station?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Wow - those numbers are stunningly poor!!!

I thought for sure Fresh would be closer to $20 million. How is it that two stations with such strong appeal to suburban white females (WPLJ, WFSH) bill so abysmally? Didn't WPLJ used to bill nearly $30 million a year before Cumulus ruined the station?
    At present, there are only five stations billing over 30 million and three are AM operations.

WPLJ has several issues, not really caused by Cumulus. One is the departure of Scott Shannon and the other is the congestion for 25-44 females in the market. They lost their cume driver, and at the same time we got stations like adult rhythmic WKTU, a younger sounding WLTW and then WNEW-FM's AC format as well as a younger sounding CBS-FM.

Still, WPLJ is off from its 2010 billings by nearly 60%.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I can see 92.3, 101.9 , and 102.7 flipping to something else. 101.1 is the only one that is safe in my opinion. Maybe we can get alternative rock, aaa,
    and a variety hits station. Off topic but they could launch a 2000s station? I do miss the Gen X stations those were good.

Quote Originally Posted by vb2285 View Post
    Maybe we can get alternative rock, aaa, .
    That would only chase off most of the advertisers. Those formats are suicide on commercial radio in most markets, and certainly in a market that moves to a heavily ethnic, rhythmic beat like NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by vb2285 View Post
    I can see 92.3, 101.9 , and 102.7 flipping to something else. 101.1 is the only one that is safe in my opinion. Maybe we can get alternative rock, aaa,
    and a variety hits station. Off topic but they could launch a 2000s station? I do miss the Gen X stations those were good.
    The three radical flips you suggest would wipe out $75,000,000 in billing as such changes generally result in no preservation of revenue.

101.9 is the larger part of the WFAN simulcast, and, thus, the second highest revenue producer in the market. It's not changing. Without the FM, most of the listening disappears. Entercom is a strong believer in Sports and in sports on FM.

No company trying to prove to investors that its merger was a good idea is going to wipe out such a major portion of its revenue. More likely they will adjust the lower billing stations to get better results, thus preserving the income while ratings are improved.

AAA is a non-starter. There are no highly successful launches in the last two decades, and the format now leans old. Alternative launches may get decent ratings, but the power ratios are terrible; Entercom right now can't seem to get any traction with their recent switch to alternative/modern rock in Miami. The opportunity for variety hits has likely passed, and Entercom does not appear to favor the format.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Is the breakdown of WFAN (AM) and FM listeners public information? I assume that the ratings I see online for WFAN include both. If I have a GE Superradio and prefer 660 AM since the sound quality is much better. Also 660 AM has a much larger range. When WFAN-FM went on the air there were rumors that 660 AM would take on the CBS Sports Network. Those rumors stopped a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNYC View Post
    Is the breakdown of WFAN (AM) and FM listeners public information? I assume that the ratings I see online for WFAN include both. If I have a GE Superradio and prefer 660 AM since the sound quality is much better. Also 660 AM has a much larger range. When WFAN-FM went on the air there were rumors that 660 AM would take on the CBS Sports Network. Those rumors stopped a long time ago.
    There is no public information. However, the subscriber of a Single Line Reporting station pair can ask for breakouts. From the results in other markets of AM/FM sports and talk combos (KSL in SLC, WSB in Atlanta) we have heard that over time the amount of AM listening declines to well under a quarter of all listening.

KSL in Salt Lake, like WFAN a clear channel 50 kw station, was one of the first to simulcast with big signals on both AM and FM. Within a year, the FM was outranking the AM and the FM frequency was used first in liners and promos.

Generally, the AMs continue to simulcast as there is not much else they can do profitably in most markets.

The "extra coverage" outside the metro market area is of essentially no sales value, even if some listeners are using the station in such areas.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 08-06-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNYC View Post
    I have a GE Superradio and prefer 660 AM since the sound quality is much better.
    I have yet to hear an AM sports station that does not pump the crowd noise up to a ridiculous level.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast