• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died in the Black Community

radiocph

Frequent Participant
Yes, one of those annoying "clickbait" jobs, but interesting. I'll post just a bit of each of the 8 reasons, to avoid copyright problems...

* The Whitewash: Some of the most successful R&B artists now are white — names like Justin Timberlake, Adele, Robin Thicke. In 2013, Billboard‘s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart was topped by a white artist 44 out of 52 weeks — including 37 straight weeks, January to October, where it was topped by either hip-hop duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis or Thicke [...]

* Too Much Focus on Physical Attributes, Not Enough on Talent: There was a time when R&B singers were elevated and celebrated because of their talent and not their looks. It would be disrespectful to name fabulous singers of the past as examples, but one who has been called the “Queen of Soul” might be a prime example. The quality of the music, of the voices, was paramount back then. But those days are long gone. [...]

* Producer-Focused: The talented, powerful R&B producers of yesteryear would identify talent, hone it, enhance it. Names like Norman Whitfield, Quincy Jones, Leon Sylvers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, LA Reid and Babyface, and Teddy Riley reigned supreme. But somewhere in the late ’80s and early ’90s, R&B began to focus the bulk of its attention on the producers, to the detriment of the artists. [...]

* Too Much Sex: A five-minute trip through the radio dial — if you can actually find Black R&B artists on the radio — shows just how incredibly hypersexual the music and lyrics have become. [...]

* Artists Too Limited: One has to wonder why mainstream Black music, once rich with R&B that promoted love, tenderness and substance, now includes one of two types of songs: vapid pop numbers by artists who sound more like robots than real people and commercial rap tracks that glorify violence, materialism and misogyny. [...]

* Nobody Is Buying Music Anymore: As most people know, there has been a startling plunge in the number of albums sold compared to previous years. This phenomenon has pulled down every genre [...]

* R&B and Hip-Hop Have Coalesced Into a Single Genre: While the two genres were long independent styles, each with their own unique sound and melody that explored and discussed different subject matters, today’s hip-hop and R&B are practically the same genre. Almost every R&B track has a rap verse and many rappers have incorporated singing into their style [...]

* Computerized Production: Between the 1960s and ’80s, the R&B genre had a plethora of bands like Earth, Wind and Fire, Sly and the Family Stone, Rose Royce, Parliament, Funkadelic and the Gap Band, just to name a few. All of these acts made their own music with live instruments. The last true band in R&B history was the ’90s band Mint Condition. Since then, virtually all instruments played on albums now are digitized. [...]

http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/01/20/8-reasons-why-rb-has-died-in-the-black-community/

Your thoughts?

Interesting topic, and I agree with a lot of it.

But what about Beyoncé. Yes I know the physical attributes, but she can sing. She really can sing. She's in the style of Aretha and Whitney, a true traditional R&B singer who can simply sing the pants off everyone, and no one cares who her producer is. Of course there's only one Beyoncé, but there was only one Aretha or Whitney too.

The other thing this ignores is the social phenomenon. The local raves and house parties are still driving a lot of this music, even after all these years. I worry that radio isn't involved enough in the culture, except in certain cities. That's really where the action is. You can't talk about the music without talking about the culture. It's all inter-related.

Regarding white people in the format, I can remember when the term "urban contemporary" was first used. This term was intended to include "I Can't Go for That" by Hall & Oates. I can even remember WPEG in Charlotte, a station which started out disco and evolved into urban, playing "Jump" by Van Halen.

It's amazing how much really good R&B is played in the "adult standards" format, at least on America's Best Music. While that started out as primarily jazz standards in the style of the big band era, these days it is mostly what soft adult contemporary was in the 80s. A couple of Earth, Wind and Fire songs are there, The Fifth Dimension, The Commodores and Lionel Richie on his own, and some tunes by The Four Tops, The Spinners, Bill Withers, Smokey Robinson, Lou Rawls, Natalie Cole, Whitney Houston, George Benson, Vanessa Williams and others. Kool & the Gang and Sade have shown up in recent years.

Some of it is. Anita Baker is also new to America's Best Music. And I should have mentioned Stevie Wonder before anyone else.

I didn't even bring up Motown or Doo-Wop.

I am struck by how isolated the Urban AC format has become. By that I mean that it shares virtually no top songs with other radio formats, such as Urban or AC. I look at MediaBase's year-end charts and see lots of overlap among the various current music based formats. The only exceptions are Country and Urban AC.

The only exceptions are Country and Urban AC.

That's an interesting observation. There was a time when country artists were showing up regularly in Hot AC. That was at a time when there wasn't much new happening in Hot AC. So they were happy to play Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, and The Band Perry to fill their quota of currents. Now they have no shortage of current music to play. Perhaps that's the situation with the Urban format.

I am struck by how isolated the Urban AC format has become. By that I mean that it shares virtually no top songs with other radio formats, such as Urban or AC. I look at MediaBase's year-end charts and see lots of overlap among the various current music based formats. The only exceptions are Country and Urban AC.

There is logic to that... true Urban AC stations (with the slight exception of KBLX) generally have 93% to 95% African-American cumers, with very little listening by Hispanics and Non-Hispanic whites.

There is plenty of good new soul artist out in the online market. Too bad marketing only targets the lowest common denominator when it comes to pop urban hits. They focus on marketing the sex, etc., and ignore artist that really sing great with substance in their music. I listen online to indie soul to find that niche that reminds me of the heyday of urban AC format.

Maybe R&B as a genre is going the way of other disappearing genres: Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Beautiful Music, New Age, Disco, New Wave, Americana, Blues, and even Rock is starting to fade, or become a smaller niche if what I read on RD is accurate. People's tastes change and genres come and go. Doesn't matter how good the music or artists are. Tastes seem to matter a lot more than that. Especially musical tastes in the money demos.

The comic strip "Curtis" (http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Curtis/ though I read it in a newspaper) is about an 11-year-old African-American boy who loves rap. His father hates it and of course likes the R&B greats. I don't know if this represents reality, though it certainly might, and I wasn't able to find the exact strip when I looked for it, but the father used the term and Curtis asked, "What's R&B?"

Yes, one of those annoying "clickbait" jobs, but interesting. I'll post just a bit of each of the 8 reasons, to avoid copyright problems...

* The Whitewash: Some of the most successful R&B artists now are white — names like Justin Timberlake, Adele, Robin Thicke. In 2013, Billboard‘s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart was topped by a white artist 44 out of 52 weeks — including 37 straight weeks, January to October, where it was topped by either hip-hop duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis or Thicke [...]

* Too Much Focus on Physical Attributes, Not Enough on Talent: There was a time when R&B singers were elevated and celebrated because of their talent and not their looks. It would be disrespectful to name fabulous singers of the past as examples, but one who has been called the “Queen of Soul” might be a prime example. The quality of the music, of the voices, was paramount back then. But those days are long gone. [...]

* Producer-Focused: The talented, powerful R&B producers of yesteryear would identify talent, hone it, enhance it. Names like Norman Whitfield, Quincy Jones, Leon Sylvers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, LA Reid and Babyface, and Teddy Riley reigned supreme. But somewhere in the late ’80s and early ’90s, R&B began to focus the bulk of its attention on the producers, to the detriment of the artists. [...]

* Too Much Sex: A five-minute trip through the radio dial — if you can actually find Black R&B artists on the radio — shows just how incredibly hypersexual the music and lyrics have become. [...]

* Artists Too Limited: One has to wonder why mainstream Black music, once rich with R&B that promoted love, tenderness and substance, now includes one of two types of songs: vapid pop numbers by artists who sound more like robots than real people and commercial rap tracks that glorify violence, materialism and misogyny. [...]

* Nobody Is Buying Music Anymore: As most people know, there has been a startling plunge in the number of albums sold compared to previous years. This phenomenon has pulled down every genre [...]

* R&B and Hip-Hop Have Coalesced Into a Single Genre: While the two genres were long independent styles, each with their own unique sound and melody that explored and discussed different subject matters, today’s hip-hop and R&B are practically the same genre. Almost every R&B track has a rap verse and many rappers have incorporated singing into their style [...]

* Computerized Production: Between the 1960s and ’80s, the R&B genre had a plethora of bands like Earth, Wind and Fire, Sly and the Family Stone, Rose Royce, Parliament, Funkadelic and the Gap Band, just to name a few. All of these acts made their own music with live instruments. The last true band in R&B history was the ’90s band Mint Condition. Since then, virtually all instruments played on albums now are digitized. [...]

http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/01/20/8-reasons-why-rb-has-died-in-the-black-community/

Your thoughts?

Good points, but the answer is easier than that. Spotify, and Pandora. Its why I don't listen to R&B stations anymore, not too mention Tom Joyner got way too political and stopped being fun to listen too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom