STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    My teenage kids still think it's fun! I think the problem is we stop finding fun in a lot of things as we get older. After all...how much "fun" is it to listen to Rush?? To news radio?
    Radio has never sounded better, technically or in terms of programming. Go and listen to airchecks from what we fondly call..."the good ol' days." Some of those "boss" jocks were pretty lame compared to the jocks of today. Even the liner card jocks of today sound better IMHO.
    Now there will never be another Cousin Brucie, Wolfman, et.al. but most of the "good guys" were not in that league. Listen to the airchecks from the 60s and I think you will agree!
    Personally...I think the music of the 50s and 60s was the most fun. What say you?
    I am 62 and I totally agree with you... I am at least grasping for straws.

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post

BTW: How much are receiver royalties for HD per radio manufactured?
    Whatever it is, it's more than any manufacturer is willing to pay, which is why next to no one is making fun HD radios. Just a few years left before the patent expires.

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo. He said RCA and GE shared the patent but charged less than a quarter per receiver royalty *

* I could be incorrect trying to recall stuff over 40 years ago. I am not really sure where to confirm the information. I hope someone has the information from a creditable source.

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo.
    wow...big band sounds from "Music Mountain". IIRC he sold the station to WHIN for $250k...including real estate and a vehicle. As KX-104, it was sold to Ron Bledsoe for millions-o-dollars. Again...IIRC.
    not trying to be the smartest person in the room...maybe later

Quote Originally Posted by romer979fm View Post
    wow...big band sounds from "Music Mountain". IIRC he sold the station to WHIN for $250k...including real estate and a vehicle. As KX-104, it was sold to Ron Bledsoe for millions-o-dollars. Again...IIRC.
    I am not sure when he died, but I believe it was sold after his death. I believe he also finagled the WAMG 1130 AM during an AM license "freeze" in 1966

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo. He said RCA and GE shared the patent but charged less than a quarter per receiver royalty *

* I could be incorrect trying to recall stuff over 40 years ago. I am not really sure where to confirm the information. I hope someone has the information from a creditable source.
    The FM stereo system the FCC selected was developed by Zenith and GE, not RCA.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Whatever it is, it's more than any manufacturer is willing to pay, which is why next to no one is making fun HD radios. Just a few years left before the patent expires.
    Sounds about right. I keep looking for an add-on HD tuner for my stereo at home, and they are generally almost $200. Portables are generally $50-$100. I just bought a new stereo receiver and to find one with HD I was looking at almost 4 figures and a bunch of other features I didn't need. I'm not going to spend that much money not knowing what I may or may not be able to pick up. I know it's digital and all, not just a couple dozen transistors, but c'mon...

The FCC screwed this up more than they did AM stereo, although AM had its own issues--AM being on the way out anyway and a crappy installed base of receivers--ever since FM hit it big, AM fidelity has always been an afterthought. Go listen to an old, pre-FM-era AM radio--reception and fidelity are much better than the crap we have today for AM.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post

The FCC screwed this up more than they did AM stereo,
    Not sure I agree. Any inventor has the right to profit from their invention. The mistake iBiquity made with HD Radio is they wanted to get paid on the front side. Had they given it away for free, the way Microsoft gave away Windows, everyone would have had HD radio today, and it would have been a huge success. We live in a free world. Nobody wants to pay for anything. You have to decide if you want everyone to use your product, or if you want them to buy it. Tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    Sounds about right. I keep looking for an add-on HD tuner for my stereo at home, and they are generally almost $200. Portables are generally $50-$100. I just bought a new stereo receiver and to find one with HD I was looking at almost 4 figures and a bunch of other features I didn't need. I'm not going to spend that much money not knowing what I may or may not be able to pick up. I know it's digital and all, not just a couple dozen transistors, but c'mon...
    Check out the Sangean HDR-16. It's a portable (new model in 2016) but it has both a record out and headphone jack, and comes with an AC adapter. While it lacks external antenna jacks it does have a GREAT sensitive AM AND FM tuner. Pretty decent sound too. I am listening to Star's new HD2 stream on it from my basement with the antenna down and HD is locked and solid.

I paid $99 with free shipping for mine from Adorama. Amazon also has it for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDR-1.../dp/B01BY7YIOQ

Sangean seems to be the only one making NEW HD radios today. They have several models on the market. We have quite a few "gems" on the FM HD dial in ATL, WRAS-HD3 was mentioned, but so is 98.5 HD2. Neither are streamed online.

Also I have a Sparc SHD-T750 I bought off eBay as an open box. This is a GREAT table/clock radio with an awesome FM and AM tuner on both HD and analog. Cool stuff too like the album art (which no one around here transmits) and one of the LOUDEST alarms I've ever heard. I paid $80 for mine plus shipping. It does not have a remote or it would make a great office stereo.

https://sparcradio.com/product/sparc-shd-t750/

Both of these have aux-in jacks too. The Sparc has antenna jacks for both AM and FM and include wire dipole (FM) and loop (AM) antennas.
    The views stated here are strictly the opinions of the author and in no way reflect those of his employer, contractors, clients, family, friends, associates, distant relatives et al. No animals were harmed by the posting of the author's opinions. Your mileage may vary. No warranties are offered, expressed or implied. All statements, advice, opinions are offered on an "as-is" and "hold harmless" basis.

The more I listen to Star HD-2, the more I am reminded of "94-Q". Man it's great to hear this on radio again. I know, nostalgia. But for me, it takes me back to a simpler time. you know, when people actually TALKED to each other, when you weren't yelled at for not answering the phone/text/email (what's that) and could go out in public and not encounter everyone staring down at screens typing away. Ahh, the good old days. Thank you Entercom. Never thought I would say that.
    The views stated here are strictly the opinions of the author and in no way reflect those of his employer, contractors, clients, family, friends, associates, distant relatives et al. No animals were harmed by the posting of the author's opinions. Your mileage may vary. No warranties are offered, expressed or implied. All statements, advice, opinions are offered on an "as-is" and "hold harmless" basis.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast