• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

The more I listen to Star HD-2, the more I am reminded of "94-Q". Man it's great to hear this on radio again. I know, nostalgia. But for me, it takes me back to a simpler time. you know, when people actually TALKED to each other, when you weren't yelled at for not answering the phone/text/email (what's that) and could go out in public and not encounter everyone staring down at screens typing away. Ahh, the good old days. Thank you Entercom. Never thought I would say that.

AMEN brother, I feel the same way so great to hear real music again, they now have jocks on here,, sounds awesome. If this was on a main signal I guarantee you it would blow the ratings sky high. I have called Star and talked to Marino and he did say they are going to stream it on Tunein, and others very soon..

AMEN brother, I feel the same way so great to hear real music again, they now have jocks on here,, sounds awesome. If this was on a main signal I guarantee you it would blow the ratings sky high. I have called Star and talked to Marino and he did say they are going to stream it on Tunein, and others very soon..

When are the jocks on? I have listened over the last few days at different times and have not heard any.
I'm also curious as to why they are using the "Star" imaging for a different format. Any thoughts on their strategy?
I agree with everyone else...the music is uptempo and fun. I can't say I like *everything* they play but they hardly ever play a real tuneout.

When are the jocks on? I have listened over the last few days at different times and have not heard any.
I'm also curious as to why they are using the "Star" imaging for a different format. Any thoughts on their strategy?
I agree with everyone else...the music is uptempo and fun. I can't say I like *everything* they play but they hardly ever play a real tuneout.

They were on last Saturday when I posted, but yet to hear them this week. Will probably be a weekly thing I guess???

They were on last Saturday when I posted, but yet to hear them this week. Will probably be a weekly thing I guess???

Speculation is rampant that the HD2 will show up on the translator at 101.1 now playing Star 94. If so, it would make sense to add jocks

Speculation is rampant that the HD2 will show up on the translator at 101.1 now playing Star 94. If so, it would make sense to add jocks

Then again, this is a format that isn't intended to have jocks in its use at many FM stations.

Then again, this is a format that isn't intended to have jocks in its use at many FM stations.

Does a "jockless" station do as well as one that does have voice tracked/live jocks? With the advent of Spotify, Pandora, and other internet "jukeboxes" does the DJ become even more essential to radio?

Does a "jockless" station do as well as one that does have voice tracked/live jocks? With the advent of Spotify, Pandora, and other internet "jukeboxes" does the DJ become even more essential to radio?

Depends. Listeners don't seem to mind jockless on other platforms, do they? If the DJ was "essential" Spotify has tons of money to pay for them. They don't. There must be a reason, right?

The issue with HD, even using a translator, is if there is enough revenue to support live talent. Usually there isn't.

BTW there was a study released last week that said local talent isn't the attraction some think it is, especially with women:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/162936

Last edited:
Depends. Listeners don't seem to mind jockless on other platforms, do they? If the DJ was "essential" Spotify has tons of money to pay for them. They don't. There must be a reason, right?

The issue with HD, even using a translator, is if there is enough revenue to support live talent. Usually there isn't.

BTW there was a study released last week that said local talent isn't the attraction some think it is, especially with women:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/162936

I saw that in one of the trades today! Why do we listen to radio then? Is it because most listeners are not connected in the mobile environment and have no other choice? News? Traffic/weather? You can get all of that with a smartphone.
You have pointed to data in the past showing young people are still listening. Why do you think they still choose radio when there are so many other options?
After reading the article I disagree with their conclusion that radio is easier than online. My radio tuner could also fly a 747...it is far from the old 5 pushbutton, 2 knob tuners of yesteryear. Plus...kids today can do technology very easily. Have you ever watched a 5 year old use a smartphone??!!
There's must be something else. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I saw that in one of the trades today! Why do we listen to radio then?
There's must be something else. Thoughts?

The article I linked explained it: Radio is convenient, easy, and free.

Spotify and Pandora needs to be programmed by somebody. On Air radio is already programmed. That takes time and effort.

Last edited:
Terrestrial radio should have a big advantage, as you say. It's free, there's no buffering, it comes in with a good signal, and it's accessible to virtually everyone. But the combination of debt and technology has resulted in the big radio companies doing things on the cheap. Radio today is not a growing business.

Do Pandora and Spotify need to be programmed by somebody? Well, yes and no. I can sign in to Pandora and Spotify, touch the CHR button (or whatever I'm in the mood for) and there is no programming involved. If someone prefers to create a playlist, they can program it, but that's their decision.

With a couple of the largest radio groups heading in the direction of bankruptcy, it will be interesting whether they end up divesting some "non-essential" assets. With all of its inherent advantages, radio could grow again.

But the combination of debt and technology has resulted in the big radio companies doing things on the cheap.

But not as cheaply as Pandora, Apple Music, and Spotify, neither of which spend any money on talent. They don't create content. They simply deliver songs.

Don't confuse the success of people USING radio with the problems with radio company finances. Two different things.

W266BW 101.1 is much weaker than it was this time last year. I assume it's moved in town onto the Shepherd tower over at 1800 Briarcliff? I can barely hear it in Gwinnett.

Yes, it moved to Briarcliff a few weeks ago. The pattern protects Ellijay to the north.

But not as cheaply as Pandora, Apple Music, and Spotify, neither of which spend any money on talent. They don't create content. They simply deliver songs.

Don't confuse the success of people USING radio with the problems with radio company finances. Two different things.

I'm a product of the radio era and still can't wrap my mind around the concept of not caring about radio personalities. I have teen kids and I have seen for myself that while they know what frequency to switch to for a given type of music they don't know the DJs, they tune out when anyone talks or commercials play, and they could care less about contests/giveaways. It seems to be the same with their friends.

Do you think radio will give up their streams due to Sound Exchange fees? If you have any listeners at all it gets expensive quickly. Didn't Jerry Lee stop streaming WBEB due to SE fees?

Last edited:
Do you think radio will give up their streams due to Sound Exchange fees?

No. It's the cost of doing business. Jerry owns one radio station. Makes no sense if you own one station. But if you're working a national platform, like all the major groups, it's an integral part of your business. Some companies do it better than others. It might not make any money now, but you have to invest in the future.

Well, Jerry owns part of one station (along with Sam Zell).

We'll have to agree to disagree that owners' financial problems don't have anything to do with people not using radio. At least Jerry Lee has always believed--and had the financial wherewithal--to invest in his product. And it showed in the ratings.

We'll have to agree to disagree that owners' financial problems don't have anything to do with people not using radio.

The most listened to radio stations in NY, LA, and Chicago are owned by the company with $20 billion in debt. This is a company that isn't penny pinching in major markets, and pays its talent the best salaries in radio. That's all I need to say. People don't listen to a company's financial statement. And as CBS Chairman Les Moonves said this week, the problem with radio was NOT that people don't listen. CBS owned some of the most profitable and most successful radio stations in the country. The problem is that advertising revenue has limitations. Revenue growth for radio is slow because radio, for the most part, has one revenue stream. Moonves is used to having multiple revenue streams.

The same thing that's hurting broadcast radio is ALSO hurting Pandora, Spotify, and other digital radio services that don't have other revenue streams. You talk about broadcast radio debt, and ignore the debt at Pandora. You ignore the fact that Spotify has been desperate to do an IPO, but can't get the interest to get them what they feel the company is worth. That's why I say you can't judge radio by its financials. And at the end of the day, even the great Jerry Lee lost his station because of debt.

Jerry Lee lost it because his partner died, and Jerry bit off more than he could chew by buying his share.

Of course people don't read the financial statements. But they can tell when the industry cuts corners. And I am by no means defending Pandora and Spotify.

Last edited:
Jerry Lee lost it because his partner died, and Jerry bit off more than he could chew by buying his share.

Yes that's what I said. Biting off more than you can chew is also known as acquiring crushing debt. Like other radio companies. If even he can't solve his debt problems, why do you hold others to a different standard? Why can't Jerry Lee just increase his spot rates and pay off his debt?

Of course people don't read the financial statements. But they can tell when the industry cuts corners.

They're not really "cutting corners." As I said, the major markets are all fully staffed, and everyone gets paid VERY well. No one is looking to leave, regardless of the debt situation. You also fail to see the additional services these radio stations are providing now that they didn't do 20 years ago.

I just went to my local sub shop. A few years ago, I could get a foot long sub for 5 bucks. Not any more. I used to get 12 ounces of coffee for 5 bucks. Now that same bag only has 10 ounces in it, and it costs the same. My cable bill went up 20% this year. You want to talk about cutting corners? I can give you dozens of examples that you put up with every day.

People listen to these stations because they give them what they want, and they do it very well. Nobody is sending them a bill for broadcast radio or adding to the spot load. Costs for services at radio stations go up every year. Advertising revenue has held steady for a long time. That's why some companies are getting out of radio. But listening levels are still very good considering the number of media options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom