• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

AMFMRadFan

Frequent Participant
Hi everyone! I got a HD radio this past Christmas in 2016, and I just checked STAR 94.1's HD2 channel to see if they were still playing Christmas music. Now, they are playing what may be Variety Hits. When I checked STAR's HD2 channel at New Year's going into 2017, they were then still playing Christmas music. In this maybe "Variety Hits" mix, I heard them play the following in this order:

• Prince "1999"
  • Rick Springfield "Jessie's Girl"
  • Earth, Wind, & Fire "Shining Star"
  • Madonna "Borderline"
  • Barry White "You're The First, The Last, My Everything"
  • Joan Jett & the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
  • Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

I'm usually used to big wide AC playlists like what you would hear on 103.7 Chuck FM or on Mixx 104.5 WYYU-FM in Dalton, but not a mix like what I just listed above. As I'm typing this post, I also heard:

• Duran Duran "Hungry Like The Wolf"
  • Kool and the Gang "Celebration"
  • Eagles "Heartache Tonight"
  • Beatles "Let It Be"
  • Irene Cara "Flashdance (What A Feeling)"
  • Steve Miller Band "Rockin' Me"
  • Michael Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel"
  • Foreigner "Hot Blooded"
  • Hall & Oates "You Make My Dreams Come True"
  • George Benson "On Broadway"
  • Barry White "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby"

Would this all qualify as Variety Hits? You're more than welcome to post below. Before I turned on the radio, I checked the stream online, and they permanently took the stream down. Once again, this is on STAR 94.1's HD2 channel. Regular STAR 94.1 was streaming without any problems. Anyway, that is all.

Looks more like pop-leaning classic hits to me, mainly '70s and '80s with a couple of monster hits from the late '60s. A variety hits station would have '90s and maybe even '00s titles in the mix, or since this is a Georgia station, maybe some '90s country.

I checked the stream online, and they permanently took the stream down. Once again, this is on STAR 94.1's HD2 channel. Regular STAR 94.1 was streaming without any problems. Anyway, that is all.

Yeah, TuneIn doesn't have the HD2 stream, just the main stream.

What is the advantage of broadcasting an HDx channel over the air but not streaming it? It seems like most of the expense has already been incurred by putting the signal together and sending it out over the air. Does it not get PPM credit (I thought it would have the same encoding...)? Are the royalties different/higher because it's on the Internet and not OTA? IIRC OTA radio still doesn't have to pay any royalties to the record label (I think they still have to pay ASCAP/BMI for performing the compositions regardless of how it is broadcast). Does the same apply to a stream of an OTA radio station?

Side-eye to B98.5 HD2.

On the flip side, I have noticed that many of the iHeartRadio "niche format" stations (all-80s, Classic AT40, etc.) are on random HD2 stations or translators around the country. Does iHeartClearChannel get a break on royalties by streaming an OTA station (even a puny one) vs. having an Internet-only stream?

Those with HD radio should check out 88.5 HD3. It is pureplay late 60s and 70s. The best part.... you will not have to endure any madonna and other garbage from the late 80s/90s.
I have listened to both and like the 88.5 HD3 much better. What do you guys think?

Yeah, TuneIn doesn't have the HD2 stream, just the main stream.

What is the advantage of broadcasting an HDx channel over the air but not streaming it? It seems like most of the expense has already been incurred by putting the signal together and sending it out over the air. Does it not get PPM credit (I thought it would have the same encoding...)? Are the royalties different/higher because it's on the Internet and not OTA? IIRC OTA radio still doesn't have to pay any royalties to the record label (I think they still have to pay ASCAP/BMI for performing the compositions regardless of how it is broadcast). Does the same apply to a stream of an OTA radio station?

Side-eye to B98.5 HD2.

On the flip side, I have noticed that many of the iHeartRadio "niche format" stations (all-80s, Classic AT40, etc.) are on random HD2 stations or translators around the country. Does iHeartClearChannel get a break on royalties by streaming an OTA station (even a puny one) vs. having an Internet-only stream?

I have wondered the same thing. I assume these are just "filler" formats to keep audio on the air. There is not a single Atlanta HD station, maybe with the exception of Album 88 (88.5 HD2) that actually tries to be a real radio service. That does not include the HD signals which are only there to parent a translator.
There are people listening to HD. I know several people who have recently bought new cars and they have discovered it although many people have trouble trying to figure out how to use it. There are also a few stations who do not align the analog and HD1 signal which is leading to complaints to dealers who then turn the HD off in the radio. Another example of broadcasters shooting themselves in the foot.

I have wondered the same thing. I assume these are just "filler" formats to keep audio on the air.

It depends. There aren't any metrics for the HD only stations to sell advertising, so it's all free. What we call "sustaining." You can't add expense if there's no revenue. Right? The hardest part of starting a business is starting it. You start with zero customers, and the goal is to attract enough that you can start charging. I've launched lots of businesses that had slow starts. HD Radio is one of the slowest, and it's hurt by the lack of hardware. Listeners have to go out of their way to find a radio that will receive it. That's a problem. If radio companies were in the hardware business, that would help. But the growth of HD is held back by the company that owns the patent on it. Outside developers can't make improvements on HD without infringing on the patent. And radio makers have to pay a royalty to include HD Radio in their devices. That's why it's so hard to find.

Those with HD radio should check out 88.5 HD3. It is pureplay late 60s and 70s. The best part.... you will not have to endure any madonna and other garbage from the late 80s/90s.
I have listened to both and like the 88.5 HD3 much better. What do you guys think?

This station sounds amazing. I like 88.5 and 98.5 HD2 as well. But Star sounds like radio use to in this town when it was fun to listen to.

It depends. There aren't any metrics for the HD only stations to sell advertising, so it's all free. What we call "sustaining." You can't add expense if there's no revenue. Right? The hardest part of starting a business is starting it. You start with zero customers, and the goal is to attract enough that you can start charging. I've launched lots of businesses that had slow starts. HD Radio is one of the slowest, and it's hurt by the lack of hardware. Listeners have to go out of their way to find a radio that will receive it. That's a problem. If radio companies were in the hardware business, that would help. But the growth of HD is held back by the company that owns the patent on it. Outside developers can't make improvements on HD without infringing on the patent. And radio makers have to pay a royalty to include HD Radio in their devices. That's why it's so hard to find.

One would think a HD 2 or 3 in a PPM market would have a PPM generator. I know it might be another decade before HD radio becomes legit. Cars do last a lot longer, but sooner or later there should be a critical number of HD car radios in use. This will come slowly. I rember back in 1971 I would have never thought FM and AM would “swap” listener percentages.

BTW: How much are receiver royalties for HD per radio manufactured?

This station sounds amazing. I like 88.5 and 98.5 HD2 as well. But Star sounds like radio use to in this town when it was fun to listen to.

My teenage kids still think it's fun! I think the problem is we stop finding fun in a lot of things as we get older. After all...how much "fun" is it to listen to Rush?? To news radio?
Radio has never sounded better, technically or in terms of programming. Go and listen to airchecks from what we fondly call..."the good ol' days." Some of those "boss" jocks were pretty lame compared to the jocks of today. Even the liner card jocks of today sound better IMHO.
Now there will never be another Cousin Brucie, Wolfman, et.al. but most of the "good guys" were not in that league. Listen to the airchecks from the 60s and I think you will agree!
Personally...I think the music of the 50s and 60s was the most fun. What say you?

Last edited:
My teenage kids still think it's fun! I think the problem is we stop finding fun in a lot of things as we get older. After all...how much "fun" is it to listen to Rush?? To news radio?
Radio has never sounded better, technically or in terms of programming. Go and listen to airchecks from what we fondly call..."the good ol' days." Some of those "boss" jocks were pretty lame compared to the jocks of today. Even the liner card jocks of today sound better IMHO.
Now there will never be another Cousin Brucie, Wolfman, et.al. but most of the "good guys" were not in that league. Listen to the airchecks from the 60s and I think you will agree!
Personally...I think the music of the 50s and 60s was the most fun. What say you?

I am 62 and I totally agree with you... I am at least grasping for straws.

BTW: How much are receiver royalties for HD per radio manufactured?

Whatever it is, it's more than any manufacturer is willing to pay, which is why next to no one is making fun HD radios. Just a few years left before the patent expires.

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo. He said RCA and GE shared the patent but charged less than a quarter per receiver royalty *

* I could be incorrect trying to recall stuff over 40 years ago. I am not really sure where to confirm the information. I hope someone has the information from a creditable source.

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo.

wow...big band sounds from "Music Mountain". IIRC he sold the station to WHIN for $250k...including real estate and a vehicle. As KX-104, it was sold to Ron Bledsoe for millions-o-dollars. Again...IIRC.

wow...big band sounds from "Music Mountain". IIRC he sold the station to WHIN for $250k...including real estate and a vehicle. As KX-104, it was sold to Ron Bledsoe for millions-o-dollars. Again...IIRC.

I am not sure when he died, but I believe it was sold after his death. I believe he also finagled the WAMG 1130 AM during an AM license "freeze" in 1966

When I was still in high school, I had a friend that worked at the old WFMG 104.5 GALLATIN TN. He said that “Ellis Jones Jr” (owner of WFMG) while an employee of the FCC was responsible for the compromise that brought about FM stereo. He said RCA and GE shared the patent but charged less than a quarter per receiver royalty *

* I could be incorrect trying to recall stuff over 40 years ago. I am not really sure where to confirm the information. I hope someone has the information from a creditable source.

The FM stereo system the FCC selected was developed by Zenith and GE, not RCA.

Whatever it is, it's more than any manufacturer is willing to pay, which is why next to no one is making fun HD radios. Just a few years left before the patent expires.

Sounds about right. I keep looking for an add-on HD tuner for my stereo at home, and they are generally almost $200. Portables are generally $50-$100. I just bought a new stereo receiver and to find one with HD I was looking at almost 4 figures and a bunch of other features I didn't need. I'm not going to spend that much money not knowing what I may or may not be able to pick up. I know it's digital and all, not just a couple dozen transistors, but c'mon...

The FCC screwed this up more than they did AM stereo, although AM had its own issues--AM being on the way out anyway and a crappy installed base of receivers--ever since FM hit it big, AM fidelity has always been an afterthought. Go listen to an old, pre-FM-era AM radio--reception and fidelity are much better than the crap we have today for AM.

The FCC screwed this up more than they did AM stereo,

Not sure I agree. Any inventor has the right to profit from their invention. The mistake iBiquity made with HD Radio is they wanted to get paid on the front side. Had they given it away for free, the way Microsoft gave away Windows, everyone would have had HD radio today, and it would have been a huge success. We live in a free world. Nobody wants to pay for anything. You have to decide if you want everyone to use your product, or if you want them to buy it. Tough decision.

Sounds about right. I keep looking for an add-on HD tuner for my stereo at home, and they are generally almost $200. Portables are generally $50-$100. I just bought a new stereo receiver and to find one with HD I was looking at almost 4 figures and a bunch of other features I didn't need. I'm not going to spend that much money not knowing what I may or may not be able to pick up. I know it's digital and all, not just a couple dozen transistors, but c'mon...

Check out the Sangean HDR-16. It's a portable (new model in 2016) but it has both a record out and headphone jack, and comes with an AC adapter. While it lacks external antenna jacks it does have a GREAT sensitive AM AND FM tuner. Pretty decent sound too. I am listening to Star's new HD2 stream on it from my basement with the antenna down and HD is locked and solid.

I paid $99 with free shipping for mine from Adorama. Amazon also has it for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDR-16-Radio-FM-Stereo-Portable/dp/B01BY7YIOQ

Sangean seems to be the only one making NEW HD radios today. They have several models on the market. We have quite a few "gems" on the FM HD dial in ATL, WRAS-HD3 was mentioned, but so is 98.5 HD2. Neither are streamed online.

Also I have a Sparc SHD-T750 I bought off eBay as an open box. This is a GREAT table/clock radio with an awesome FM and AM tuner on both HD and analog. Cool stuff too like the album art (which no one around here transmits) and one of the LOUDEST alarms I've ever heard. I paid $80 for mine plus shipping. It does not have a remote or it would make a great office stereo.

https://sparcradio.com/product/sparc-shd-t750/

Both of these have aux-in jacks too. The Sparc has antenna jacks for both AM and FM and include wire dipole (FM) and loop (AM) antennas.

The more I listen to Star HD-2, the more I am reminded of "94-Q". Man it's great to hear this on radio again. I know, nostalgia. But for me, it takes me back to a simpler time. you know, when people actually TALKED to each other, when you weren't yelled at for not answering the phone/text/email (what's that) and could go out in public and not encounter everyone staring down at screens typing away. Ahh, the good old days. Thank you Entercom. Never thought I would say that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom