STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    214

    STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

    Hi everyone! I got a HD radio this past Christmas in 2016, and I just checked STAR 94.1's HD2 channel to see if they were still playing Christmas music. Now, they are playing what may be Variety Hits. When I checked STAR's HD2 channel at New Year's going into 2017, they were then still playing Christmas music. In this maybe "Variety Hits" mix, I heard them play the following in this order:

    • Prince "1999"
    • Rick Springfield "Jessie's Girl"
    • Earth, Wind, & Fire "Shining Star"
    • Madonna "Borderline"
    • Barry White "You're The First, The Last, My Everything"
    • Joan Jett & the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
    • Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"


    I'm usually used to big wide AC playlists like what you would hear on 103.7 Chuck FM or on Mixx 104.5 WYYU-FM in Dalton, but not a mix like what I just listed above. As I'm typing this post, I also heard:

    • Duran Duran "Hungry Like The Wolf"
    • Kool and the Gang "Celebration"
    • Eagles "Heartache Tonight"
    • Beatles "Let It Be"
    • Irene Cara "Flashdance (What A Feeling)"
    • Steve Miller Band "Rockin' Me"
    • Michael Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel"
    • Foreigner "Hot Blooded"
    • Hall & Oates "You Make My Dreams Come True"
    • George Benson "On Broadway"
    • Barry White "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby"


    Would this all qualify as Variety Hits? You're more than welcome to post below. Before I turned on the radio, I checked the stream online, and they permanently took the stream down. Once again, this is on STAR 94.1's HD2 channel. Regular STAR 94.1 was streaming without any problems. Anyway, that is all.

  2. #2
    Looks more like pop-leaning classic hits to me, mainly '70s and '80s with a couple of monster hits from the late '60s. A variety hits station would have '90s and maybe even '00s titles in the mix, or since this is a Georgia station, maybe some '90s country.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The ATL, OTP
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by AMFMRadFan View Post
    I checked the stream online, and they permanently took the stream down. Once again, this is on STAR 94.1's HD2 channel. Regular STAR 94.1 was streaming without any problems. Anyway, that is all.
    Yeah, TuneIn doesn't have the HD2 stream, just the main stream.

    What is the advantage of broadcasting an HDx channel over the air but not streaming it? It seems like most of the expense has already been incurred by putting the signal together and sending it out over the air. Does it not get PPM credit (I thought it would have the same encoding...)? Are the royalties different/higher because it's on the Internet and not OTA? IIRC OTA radio still doesn't have to pay any royalties to the record label (I think they still have to pay ASCAP/BMI for performing the compositions regardless of how it is broadcast). Does the same apply to a stream of an OTA radio station?

    Side-eye to B98.5 HD2.

    On the flip side, I have noticed that many of the iHeartRadio "niche format" stations (all-80s, Classic AT40, etc.) are on random HD2 stations or translators around the country. Does iHeartClearChannel get a break on royalties by streaming an OTA station (even a puny one) vs. having an Internet-only stream?
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

  4. #4
    They've added in vintage sounding imaging. Really enjoying the mix and the sound!

  5. #5
    Those with HD radio should check out 88.5 HD3. It is pureplay late 60s and 70s. The best part.... you will not have to endure any madonna and other garbage from the late 80s/90s.
    I have listened to both and like the 88.5 HD3 much better. What do you guys think?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    Yeah, TuneIn doesn't have the HD2 stream, just the main stream.

    What is the advantage of broadcasting an HDx channel over the air but not streaming it? It seems like most of the expense has already been incurred by putting the signal together and sending it out over the air. Does it not get PPM credit (I thought it would have the same encoding...)? Are the royalties different/higher because it's on the Internet and not OTA? IIRC OTA radio still doesn't have to pay any royalties to the record label (I think they still have to pay ASCAP/BMI for performing the compositions regardless of how it is broadcast). Does the same apply to a stream of an OTA radio station?

    Side-eye to B98.5 HD2.

    On the flip side, I have noticed that many of the iHeartRadio "niche format" stations (all-80s, Classic AT40, etc.) are on random HD2 stations or translators around the country. Does iHeartClearChannel get a break on royalties by streaming an OTA station (even a puny one) vs. having an Internet-only stream?
    I have wondered the same thing. I assume these are just "filler" formats to keep audio on the air. There is not a single Atlanta HD station, maybe with the exception of Album 88 (88.5 HD2) that actually tries to be a real radio service. That does not include the HD signals which are only there to parent a translator.
    There are people listening to HD. I know several people who have recently bought new cars and they have discovered it although many people have trouble trying to figure out how to use it. There are also a few stations who do not align the analog and HD1 signal which is leading to complaints to dealers who then turn the HD off in the radio. Another example of broadcasters shooting themselves in the foot.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    I have wondered the same thing. I assume these are just "filler" formats to keep audio on the air.
    It depends. There aren't any metrics for the HD only stations to sell advertising, so it's all free. What we call "sustaining." You can't add expense if there's no revenue. Right? The hardest part of starting a business is starting it. You start with zero customers, and the goal is to attract enough that you can start charging. I've launched lots of businesses that had slow starts. HD Radio is one of the slowest, and it's hurt by the lack of hardware. Listeners have to go out of their way to find a radio that will receive it. That's a problem. If radio companies were in the hardware business, that would help. But the growth of HD is held back by the company that owns the patent on it. Outside developers can't make improvements on HD without infringing on the patent. And radio makers have to pay a royalty to include HD Radio in their devices. That's why it's so hard to find.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    Those with HD radio should check out 88.5 HD3. It is pureplay late 60s and 70s. The best part.... you will not have to endure any madonna and other garbage from the late 80s/90s.
    I have listened to both and like the 88.5 HD3 much better. What do you guys think?
    This station sounds amazing. I like 88.5 and 98.5 HD2 as well. But Star sounds like radio use to in this town when it was fun to listen to.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It depends. There aren't any metrics for the HD only stations to sell advertising, so it's all free. What we call "sustaining." You can't add expense if there's no revenue. Right? The hardest part of starting a business is starting it. You start with zero customers, and the goal is to attract enough that you can start charging. I've launched lots of businesses that had slow starts. HD Radio is one of the slowest, and it's hurt by the lack of hardware. Listeners have to go out of their way to find a radio that will receive it. That's a problem. If radio companies were in the hardware business, that would help. But the growth of HD is held back by the company that owns the patent on it. Outside developers can't make improvements on HD without infringing on the patent. And radio makers have to pay a royalty to include HD Radio in their devices. That's why it's so hard to find.

    One would think a HD 2 or 3 in a PPM market would have a PPM generator. I know it might be another decade before HD radio becomes legit. Cars do last a lot longer, but sooner or later there should be a critical number of HD car radios in use. This will come slowly. I rember back in 1971 I would have never thought FM and AM would “swap” listener percentages.

    BTW: How much are receiver royalties for HD per radio manufactured?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTICK View Post
    This station sounds amazing. I like 88.5 and 98.5 HD2 as well. But Star sounds like radio use to in this town when it was fun to listen to.
    My teenage kids still think it's fun! I think the problem is we stop finding fun in a lot of things as we get older. After all...how much "fun" is it to listen to Rush?? To news radio?
    Radio has never sounded better, technically or in terms of programming. Go and listen to airchecks from what we fondly call..."the good ol' days." Some of those "boss" jocks were pretty lame compared to the jocks of today. Even the liner card jocks of today sound better IMHO.
    Now there will never be another Cousin Brucie, Wolfman, et.al. but most of the "good guys" were not in that league. Listen to the airchecks from the 60s and I think you will agree!
    Personally...I think the music of the 50s and 60s was the most fun. What say you?
    Last edited by wavo; 02-13-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us