• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS radio / Entercom in Philly

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, most of your NPR member stations are doing very well and aren't likely to go anywhere anytime soon.

I agree with that for the most part, but there has been a series of college stations on the market lately. I expect there will be more.

EMF has done it before. It's in the process of swapping a station at 106.3 for a non-comm band station in Fresno. It really doesn't seem to care where on the band its stations are. It's just been buying more commercial band stations lately because more of them are for sale and are willing to sell for prices EMF will pay. The low hanging fruit in the non-comm band has largely already been picked. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, most of your NPR member stations are doing very well and aren't likely to go anywhere anytime soon.

That's exactly what EMF did when they acquired the Classical South Florida stations in 2015, which consisted of a Ft. Myers FM, a Miami FM, and a West Palm Beach FM. Therefore, EMF switched 98.5 to Radio Nueva Vida as a placeholder format when EMF was selling the station to Sun Broadcasting. However, Beasley and Renda filed petitions to deny the sale and it took about a year and a half to close the sale. The sale finally closed this past June, and Sun flipped the station to Rhythmic CHR branded as "Fly 98.5", giving a competitor to one of my most favorite iHeartRadio stations, 105.5 The Beat.

I would prefer to leave the Boston spinoffs for commercial broadcasters. Since Entercom will divest stations in Wilkes-Barre, I'm thinking that 95.9 and 107.9 could go to EMF for 106.9 in Philly instead.
I hope Entercom doesn't sell 107.9 WKRF because it does well as a simulcast with KRZ at 98.5. I doubt EMF would sell 106.9 in Philly. EMF are big on city signals. They own 96.7 in NYC a move in from CT.

96.5 is going classical as the new "Yesterday's 96.5, Philly's new number one for throw-Bachs."

Classical music isn't a well-supported format on commercial radio. There was a commercial classical station serving the Philadelphia market (currently 95.7 Ben-FM) until it was sold to Greater Media (which Beasley now owns) in 1997. Although it would allow Temple University's WRTI to return to jazz full-time, I wouldn't expect Entercom to flip any of their stations to Classical music.

In fact, most classical music radio stations are non-commercial and are usually located on the non-commercial band, although some can be found on the commercial band but are operated as a non-commercial station. There are some commercially-operated classical radio stations that exist or have existed, such as the WBACH network in Maine which was shut down on February 19, 2017, and 95.5 KHFM in Albuquerque which is being donated to a non-profit operator who intends to convert the station to its non-commercial status while preserving the classical format on the station as part of American General Media's acquisition of Univision's Albuquerque cluster.

I hope Entercom doesn't sell 107.9 WKRF because it does well as a simulcast with KRZ at 98.5. I doubt EMF would sell 106.9 in Philly. EMF are big on city signals. They own 96.7 in NYC a move in from CT.

As far I know, Entercom has placed 95.9 in the trust, although it doesn't preclude Entercom from divesting additional stations. If Entercom divests 95.9 (or any of their spinoffs) to EMF, I would like expect EMF to give one of their stations to Entercom in return.

Classical music isn't a well-supported format on commercial radio. There was a commercial classical station serving the Philadelphia market (currently 95.7 Ben-FM) until it was sold to Greater Media (which Beasley now owns) in 1997. Although it would allow Temple University's WRTI to return to jazz full-time, I wouldn't expect Entercom to flip any of their stations to Classical music.

In fact, most classical music radio stations are non-commercial and are usually located on the non-commercial band, although some can be found on the commercial band but are operated as a non-commercial station. There are some commercially-operated classical radio stations that exist or have existed, such as the WBACH network in Maine which was shut down on February 19, 2017, and 95.5 KHFM in Albuquerque which is being donated to a non-profit operator who intends to convert the station to its non-commercial status while preserving the classical format on the station as part of American General Media's acquisition of Univision's Albuquerque cluster.

Mike, what AJS wrote was meant as a joke. :)

I agree with that for the most part, but there has been a series of college stations on the market lately. I expect there will be more.

If that's the case, then EMF would be the first buyer that would come to mind whenever a college radio station goes up for sale.

I would like to get your thoughts about what changes , if any, might happen with the 6 CBS/Entercom stations in Philly?

I would like to get your thoughts about what changes , if any, might happen with the 6 CBS/Entercom stations in Philly?

Please see the previous 7 pages of this thread, as well as comments in other threads on the same topic, for the already provided suggestions to your question.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom